Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:37 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Handlebar Comparison

I've endeavored to install new bars on my '08 FLHTC. After a TON of research on bars, I decided on 3 10" bars;Khrome Werks +2 Chrome Sweeper (300515), Khrome Werks Chrome Sweeper (300512), or LA Choppers Twin Peaks (LA-7361-10). I couldn't decide based on dimensions or pictures which bar would be the best for what I was wanting, so I ordered all 3 bars knowing I could send the 2 I didn't like back.

I was looking for something that didn't turn in causing wrist fatigue, was slightly wider, something slightly taller, something that would increase control and something that was comfortable to ride for several hours at a time. I was also wanting bars that would allow me to keep my stock clutch cable, brake line, and wires.

Here is my scoot with the stock bars as it rolled off the assembly line.

Getting the stock bars off was by far one of the easiest things I've done. I had the stock bars off the bike in 30 minutes. Do NOT let anyone tell you that you need to remove the radio to get the bars off or on. You can leave the radio in the fairing and rotate it out of the way.

Here is a few comparison pictures of the Stock vs. Khrome Werks +2 Chrome Sweeper (300515) vs. Khrome Werks Chrome Sweeper (300512) vs. LA Choppers Twin Peaks (LA-7361-10).

Here is a comparison of the Khrome Werks +2 Chrome Sweeper and the Chrome Sweeper in case you were curious why I ordered these 2 bars.

Here is a comparison on the weights of the bars. Notice that the LA chopper bars are on a human scale while the other 3 bars are on a kitchen scale. There is a reason and it shows in the pictures.

Stock Bars:

Khrome Werks Chrome Sweeper (300512):

Khrome Werks +2 Chrome Sweeper (300515):

LA Choppers 10" Twin Peaks (LA-7361-10):

Here is the Khrome Werks Chrome Sweeper (300512) bars installed on the bike to decide which bars fit all of my needs.

Here is the Khrome Werks +2 Chrome Sweeper (300515) bars installed on the bike to decide which bars fit all of my needs.

The following 3 users liked this post by mjonesjr84:
GalvTexGuy (07-25-2016), MikeTD3 (07-25-2016), WoodButcher66 (07-30-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer

Here is the LA Chopper Twin Peaks (LA-7361-10) bars installed on the bike to decide which bars fit all of my needs.

While I was deciding on which bars fit my needs, I was looking at how to route the clutch cable in the fairing to keep from needing a longer cable. Below is a couple pictures how I changed the routing. I think with the stock cable, I could have went with 12" bars and had enough clutch and brake cable.

After pondering on each handlebar that I installed, I decided on the LA Chopper 10" Twin Peaks (LA-7361-10). Obviously the easiest part was removing and installing the bars. Wiring was a pain in the ***. I highly recommend getting the Harley-Davidson Twist Grip Sensor that has the long wire attached with the end already off it (http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/twist-grip-sensor). This keeps the stock TBW green plug out of the bars, giving you more room to pull the wires through. The clean look of the wires in the bars is well worth the hassle.

The best advise I can give is to remove the OEM wire cover and use electrical tape to cover the wires. This makes the wires tighter against each other. Do this for each of the 3 wiring harness (2x on right side, 1x on left side). You will need to pull both the TBW sensor wiring and control wiring at the same time. If no, it will be almost impossible to get the wires through. I put a little bit of grease inside the bars to allow the wires to slide past the 90* bend.

FYI, the hardest part of the bar swap is pulling the wires past the 90* bend in the LA Chopper Twin Peak bars.

Here is the bars installed.

If you have any questions on these bars, please feel free to ask. I've also got several pictures of the wiring harness plugs I'd be happy to share if anyone screws up and forgets where the wires go in the plugs.

Hopefully this helps someone decide on their handlebars.

The following 5 users liked this post by mjonesjr84:
Cozz (07-23-2016), GalvTexGuy (07-25-2016), head (07-24-2016), Kruegs (08-20-2016), Rafkin (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 04:01 AM
Rafkin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up, looking into this being my next upgrade on my 09 UC

Old 07-24-2016, 06:08 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Nice write up. What are you going to do about your mirrors?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:36 AM
mjonesjr84
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hate Work
Nice write up. What are you going to do about your mirrors?
I've got a pair of Kuryakyn mirrors on order. I'm not sure if I'll like them or not. I'm wanting something low profile. I'm going to take the fairing mirrors off.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mjonesjr84
I've got a pair of Kuryakyn mirrors on order. I'm not sure if I'll like them or not. I'm wanting something low profile. I'm going to take the fairing mirrors off.
I have 10" Wild Ones but they sweep down a little more. I too, put Kury's on which moved the mirrors out about 2". They also have extensions which can move them more.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:41 AM
mjonesjr84
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hate Work
I have 10" Wild Ones but they sweep down a little more. I too, put Kury's on which moved the mirrors out about 2". They also have extensions which can move them more.
Those look nice. I'm wanting a mirror that is lower profile, that doesn't stick up much.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:35 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by mjonesjr84
Do NOT let anyone tell you that you need to remove the radio to get the bars off or on. You can leave the radio in the fairing and rotate it out of the way.
If you pull the radio out, you don't have to take the inner fairing off.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

I was also wanting bars that would allow me to keep my stock clutch cable, brake line, and wires.
Um... why?

I was looking for something that didn't turn in causing wrist fatigue, was slightly wider, something slightly taller, something that would increase control and something that was comfortable to ride for several hours at a time.
Comfort and cable length are not related. If you truly want to ride for hours, to me the way to do that is to find the right bars, not to make keeping those hideous stock garden hoses.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
If you pull the radio out, you don't have to take the inner fairing off.
I have done both. For me, it is easier to loosen the inner fairing than remove the radio as I have an amp mounted on top. Others have a cb unit. To each their own.

Quick Reply: Handlebar Comparison