Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better Lever?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Better Lever?

Does anyone have experience with the better lever for the trans shift shaft?

https://betterlever.com/

I have a 2012 street glide with 31000 miles on it.. I noticed a month or so ago the lever was loose and partially off the shaft. It can't fall of as it hits the primary case. I tightened it up, but it came loose again about a 1000 miles later. I have tightened it for the fourth time, and it has remained tight, but now I'm thinking I should replace it before it strips out. I do all my own work and have no problem taking it apart to replace with the cheaper original, or even the chrome aftermarket one (about $25) plus oil and gaskets. I was thinking I could save a lot of time and work using the better lever. The better lever is $225.00. Is it worth the extra money?

Old 07-28-2016, 12:30 PM
sbbrown
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a better lever on my 06 ultra for 40 k plus miles and it has never come loose

The following users liked this post:
bklynbob (01-26-2021)
Old 07-28-2016, 01:08 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

I thought the newer twin cams had an indent on the back of primary.
The indent permitted an individual to slide lever and then tilt lever off.
Allowing replacement with NO primary removal.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:21 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

Originally Posted by im
I thought the newer twin cams had an indent on the back of primary.
The indent permitted an individual to slide lever and then tilt lever off.
Allowing replacement with NO primary removal.
I thought that too, but when mine came loose it came out and rubbed on the primary, but never came off. I was trying to wiggle it off to get a look at it. Maybe I'll have another look for the indent. I hope you are correct.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by SG-Jay
I thought that too, but when mine came loose it came out and rubbed on the primary, but never came off. I was trying to wiggle it off to get a look at it. Maybe I'll have another look for the indent. I hope you are correct.
I had to replace the one on my 11 Electra Glide. You have to take the bolt completely out, then work it and tilt it toward the transmission. It's doable. My splines on the shaft were damaged. I really had to torque on it to get it tight on the shift shaft. I've read that guys change the bolt to a regular hex head so they can get them tighter. The Allen head strips out easily.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

grade 8 hex torque till ya can't stand it, ya got nothing to loose if ya strip it then go to the better lever.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:13 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain

Thanks guys. I had to take the bolt right out to get it off. I cleaned it up and chased the threads on the bolt. It had some damaged threads probably from being loose. Once the threads were cleaned, I cleaned up the shaft and put locktite on the threads and cranked the hell out of it.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

You are welcome.
Thank you for returning with an update, you are helping others get out of a problem too.
Glad you are able to ride.
But you may wish to consider ordering a new lever next time you are buying parts.
According to a parts finder it looks like the bolt is part number 856A at about $2 USA dollars and the lever might be 33849-97 at about $23 USA dollars.
A lot easier to get parts when it is not an emergency.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Old 07-29-2016, 01:23 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 202 Posts

I put one on my '05 flht and it was on there for a long time. I actually picked up the better lever from the owners house. Great product and a stand up individual!

Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Eastcoast Jim
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

I went through 3 of the stock levers, I've had the Better Lever on for 1 year now and it's fine. I had to tighten it a few times when new - now I just forget about it. I works fine - I'm happy. Eastcoast Jim

Quick Reply: Better Lever?