Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG: "Needles to the face" rain protection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

The windshield on a Road Glide is just too far away to keep the rain off of your face. I rented a Road King a while back and got caught in some heavy rain, that stock windshield did a much better job for rain. But it was so close to me, getting on and off the bike I thought I was going to bump my head on it. Pros and Cons to everything.

For me as stated, half helmet with snap on half windshield does the truck for me in the heavy stuff, did just this AM, all was well.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

A FF is best. Usually I wear a 3/4 helmet, with goggles over my glasses in the rain. If it hails or sleets, I'll wrap a bandana around my face.
That's with a 12" windshield on my Ultra.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:28 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

We experienced a frog strangler rain outside of Roanoke a couple of years back. The rain was between the windshield and me , plus the wind diverters that direct air behind the fairing directed water spray up to my face. So I would say it's a wash. (pun intended)

Old 07-29-2016, 01:52 PM
liquidr1
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a 13 inch windvest shield on my road glide (in my sig pic). It offered 0 rain protection. I have a 12 inch clock werks now. It offers 0 rain protection. With the road glide, the fairing is just too far away from the rider to offer any real rain protection no matter what size shield you use.

If there is any threat of rain, my full face helmet and frog togs are in the tour pack.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

"But officer, at 82.3 MPH the rain goes over my head and I can safely see the traffic I am passing."

The following users liked this post:
cass (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:46 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

No windshield that looks or performs worth a damn will give you the protection you are seeking. Ive been riding road glides for over 15 years. Never had this as a problem.

Rain, snow hail, heat, hell just ride. If you need to cover your face, either get a full face helmet or put a bandana on your face.

Its a bike, your outdoors and unprotected get use to it or pull off when it rains. The others of us will either ride on by or stop and join you if you picked out a good spot.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 PM
ryvpete
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a 14" Freedom Shield Touring and carry a Pit Boss in the saddle bag. The Pit Boss has the pull down shield in a 1/2 helmet and it works fine for me. Can ride in the rain with minimal issues. Without the helmet, yes, you can get it pretty good on the head at highway speeds.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:22 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
No windshield that looks or performs worth a damn will give you the protection you are seeking. Ive been riding road glides for over 15 years. Never had this as a problem.

Rain, snow hail, heat, hell just ride. If you need to cover your face, either get a full face helmet or put a bandana on your face.

Its a bike, your outdoors and unprotected get use to it or pull off when it rains. The others of us will either ride on by or stop and join you if you picked out a good spot.
There it is in a nutshell.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:03 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Way back got caught in a hail storm right cheek was blue from bruised looked like bar fight since then always use helmet with the face shield, windshield doesn't protect from sides except head on storm.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2012 RGU and with the stock windshield riding in the fain was like having a hose spraying you in the face. Went to a madstad and the problem was pretty much gone. Mostly wore a half helmet and there was really no sting at 65+, although if I am going to be riding in the rain for hours (we do lots of long trips) I do have a snap on shield.

That being said I did recently go to a modular sphelmet for touring and it has incredible wing and rain protection. I got the Shark Evoline 3 with the chin pice that folds all the way back so it is designed to ride as a 3/4 helmet or full helmet. Highly recommend it.

Quick Reply: RG: "Needles to the face" rain protection?