Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Wire Disconnected?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:44 PM
JeepDeep
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Don't take off the fender... it goes over the fender, under the seat..

Here is a pic of your system. It looks to me like line #12 pulled out of the fill fitting #7, and was hanging down, getting trashed by the belt and/or belt pulley.

If you can match the hose, just replace the line #12 portion. The fill fitting is basically a like a "T" fitting and connects the pressure lines of both shocks. That allows for both shocks to equalize the pressure between them, and maintain the same pressure... in your case, unfortunately it's zero..

It's an easy fix once you get the air line.... Just push towards the fitting on the red circle, and it will release the line. Make sure the new line is cut clean and even. Then just push the line into the fitting until it bottoms out... should be fixed!

From a dealer, the air hose is part # 54354-94A in a 25' length (black) MSRP @ $26.25. It says it's 5/32" OD (outside diameter) hose.

Good luck & enjoy your ride...
I saw that diagram. It's the #12 tube. Got it shipped overnight. Should be here in the morning. It was really hard to access it so I took the side bracket off ( where the saddlebags latch on and the back rest goes). After that it's easy access. I took the cut tubes off already. So once I get the replacement. Plug and play.

You mentioned to route it under the seat, over the fender. Harley dealership recommended under the fender. I told the guy over the fender made more sense but he insisted on it. Anyways, I'll route it under the seat. My only concern would be that it may get punched if I route it under the seat, no?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:46 PM
JeepDeep
Advanced

Out of curiosity, I just checked online and Grainger sells the 5/32" Polyurethane Pneumatic Tubing @ $22.00 for a roll of 100'.....

You should be able to find it somewhere close or at least order it online with overnight shipping if needed....

Good luck
Well I got it shipped now. I called as many auto part stores I could and no one had it. It's Saturday today so the only industrial hardware store in town is closed. Man, I am originally from Vancouver BC and if I ever needed anything it was always available. That's the downside of living in small towns.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:37 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepDeep
You mentioned to route it under the seat, over the fender. Harley dealership recommended under the fender. I told the guy over the fender made more sense but he insisted on it. Anyways, I'll route it under the seat. My only concern would be that it may get punched if I route it under the seat, no?
Interesting, I could have sworn mine was under the seat, but over the fender, when I removed my air shocks about 6 months ago......

Seems like there is too much stuff to get caught on under the fender..... in any case, I would try to route is as close to the way it was OEM as possible... that is if you could tell how it was routed when you removed it...

Good luck...

Old 07-31-2016, 12:24 AM
JeepDeep
Advanced

Interesting, I could have sworn mine was under the seat, but over the fender, when I removed my air shocks about 6 months ago......

Seems like there is too much stuff to get caught on under the fender..... in any case, I would try to route is as close to the way it was OEM as possible... that is if you could tell how it was routed when you removed it...

Good luck...
Well, I will let u know tomorrow. I am supposed to get the part tomorrow morning. I'll see which way makes more sense. I'll post what I end up doing. Hopefully there isn't anything else wrong and it holds up pressure.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:29 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepDeep
You mentioned to route it under the seat, over the fender. Harley dealership recommended under the fender. I told the guy over the fender made more sense but he insisted on it.
Maybe it came off it's perch under the fender and rubbed against the tire and broke. Might happen again, but double check.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:46 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,828 Likes on 8,403 Posts

The hose just pushes into the fitting. If you need to take it back out just push in on the orange ring on the fitting on the shock and that will release the hose. Make sure there isn't any debris in the fitting on the shock or the air splitter.
When you're back from your ride you might consider getting a pair of shocks that actually work. As usual, Harley puts the cheapest POS on the bike and calls it premium equipment. Just about any shock on the market is a vast improvement over the stock air shock.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:16 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

When asking for parts in too many automobile places, you need to ask for what they know. In the USA, many trucks have airbags for hauling. This is the same air lines used in those applications.

Me, I'll change the oil in my air shocks and try that before replacing with different air shocks.

Last edited by Goose_NC; 07-31-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:22 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 868 Likes on 511 Posts

I replaced all the plumbing and fittings on mine and put air valves on each individual shock.
No chance of them both losing all pressure ever again.
They are a standard NPT size, teflon tape and done.
Down side? You have to pump up two instead of one.
Also, NEVER used compresses air to fill them. Hand pump is the only way.

We can talk about replacement shocks any other day, today...get back on the road safely.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:26 PM
JeepDeep
Advanced

Originally Posted by dajogejr
I replaced all the plumbing and fittings on mine and put air valves on each individual shock.
No chance of them both losing all pressure ever again.
They are a standard NPT size, teflon tape and done.
Down side? You have to pump up two instead of one.
Also, NEVER used compresses air to fill them. Hand pump is the only way.

We can talk about replacement shocks any other day, today...get back on the road safely.
So... Got the tube this morning. Greyhound was only open for an hour in this town. Got there just in time to pick up the package. Ordered 6ft of tubing... Just in case and for future.

Came home hooked up all of 6ft quickly to see if everything works ok. Pumped air in using hand pump. Wallaaaa... I now have pressure. I pumped up to 40 psi. I'll check in an hour to see if it holds up.

I don't see routing this tube under the fender. It has to go under the seat I think. Would u guys be kind enough to chime in on this?

Old 07-31-2016, 01:38 PM
RCCola45
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I just went out and removed seat to check mine ... 2013 Road King ... from left side it comes off the shock ... under the frame there but then comes up over the top of the rear fender ... under the seat over to the other shock.

Quick Reply: Shock Wire Disconnected?