Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Center" Stand Failure

Old 09-27-2016, 09:55 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger-R
Thank you all for the comments. First, I'd like to respond that it is a genuine H-D part sold by dealerships as an accessory. And I used it perhaps 20-25 times/year for about eight years when washing or doing maintenance.
It still isn't a "Stock" from the factory part!
No Harley ships with them from the factory.

You (or a previous owner) purchased it as an "accessory" and added it.
HD part number or not, it is an added on accessory.

And you used it for eight years before it failed.
Parts fail every day, and as someone else pointed out getting 8 years out of something that gets wet and exposed to other environmental elements is about all you can ask for.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:00 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I agree with the compromise theory, the hole looks too big in relation to rod size.
I have encountered that predicament before too, albeit the circumstances were quite different.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Another underbuilt aftermarket accessory. HD will tell you it was your fault. And it will end up that nobody will pay any attention to your complaint cause they don't give a ****. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:14 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW: I too had this part and it also failed. Don't remember if it broke in the same place but it seems like it did not as I remember thinking how in the 'ell can a piece of 1.25 inch or larger steel stock break!. My experience was using it normally on flat garage concrete floor and it falling away from me. My daughter was home and all my yelling, horn blowing (chitty HD horn that has been replaced) would not get her attention. I had to lay it over gently as I could on my air compressor. Some how, some way, no damage occurred. Dealer replaced it but I had to pay $75. I was happy with that as I purchased it in Ohio and returned it in Virginia. However, I never reinstalled it.

Anyone want to buy it? If so, shoot me an email as I do not get on here as much now as in the past... onekshoot@yahoo.com

Ride safely!!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:40 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Thank you for the information.
If that is a genuine Harley branded product, age of that specific product should not be a question in this specific situation.
There would seem to be an exposure to risk not only for the operator but also someone next to the bike in a quick fall situation..
Products get questioned everyday...sometimes brand new stuff and sometimes old.
It would seem unusual for a big manufacturer to disregard you, especially since there was a second member reporting a similar situation.
I would contact Harley in more than one format and include the picture(s).
You will likely get a courtesy letter from Harley with a request to send the product in for investigation at your expense.
Then a few weeks later a box will arrive with a replacement and another nice letter about how the warranty was only 1 year but they honored the replacement.
That product is still on the market and you might have saved someone a bad experience.
I could imagine someone parking in a Rally and causing a falling domino effect with a line of bikes.
I myself will try to avoid parking next to touring bikes with such a stand.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:13 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,407 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by im
If that is a genuine Harley branded product, age of that specific product should not be a question in this specific situation.
There would seem to be an exposure to risk not only for the operator but also someone next to the bike in a quick fall situation..
It would seem unusual for a big manufacturer to disregard you, especially since there was a second member reporting a similar situation.
You will likely get a courtesy letter from Harley with a request to send the product in for investigation at your expense.
Then a few weeks later a box will arrive with a replacement and another nice letter about how the warranty was only 1 year but they honored the replacement.
That product is still on the market and you might have saved someone a bad experience.
I could imagine someone parking in a Rally and causing a falling domino effect with a line of bikes.
And all pigs fed and ready to fly...

Old 09-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,737 Likes on 18,543 Posts

There is a difference between the "Display Stand" and the "Center Stand". The display stand was mounted at the lower point of the frame in the front and fit up through 2008. The part number you list is a Center Stand and mounts under the frame just ahead of the rear wheel.

Display Stand

Center Stand

FWIW ... I had one ( Display Stand ) on my 1992 FLHTCU for 17 years and never had a problem. I used it all the time.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:03 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
And all pigs fed and ready to fly...
When pigs fly...sometimes it works and other times not.
I had a non-harley modular helmet failure at the helmet hinge that was out of warranty and the store and manufacturer worked together to make it right.
Basically, i paid the difference for the next model up since helmet was discontinued.
Another time a non-harley jacket had a zipper failure out of warranty and the store was unable to assist but the manufacturer called me and sent a new replacement jacket for FREE after they received my broken jacket.
It would seem that another forum member had a problem with a Harley stand and a non-selling dealer replaced the product.
It seems unlikely but sometimes if you ask it works.
Reminded me of the Doritos commercial "when pigs fly"
No harm in asking.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:07 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by im
You must be smokin' some good stuff.
Why not hit the MoCo up for a new bike and let's all live happily ever after?

Old 09-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Billf
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
There is a difference between the "Display Stand" and the "Center Stand". The display stand was mounted at the lower point of the frame in the front and fit up through 2008. The part number you list is a Center Stand and mounts under the frame just ahead of the rear wheel.

Display Stand

Center Stand

FWIW ... I had one ( Display Stand ) on my 1992 FLHTCU for 17 years and never had a problem. I used it all the time.

To the OP:
I would like to know if you're talking about the Display Stand (mounts in the front) or the Center Stand (mounts under the frame). I've had the Display Stand on my bike since 2005 and still use it to park my bike in the garage in front of my car. Can you please confirm which one you're talking about?

Thanks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Center" Stand Failure