Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perhaps I May Have Found the Source of a Long Elusive Squeak!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:46 AM
SummitRK
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Perhaps I May Have Found the Source of a Long Elusive Squeak!

I've had a "squeaking" going on for two riding seasons. I've had the primary opened up in the past, and found that the nut on the compensating sprocket was very loose (finger tight). I torqued it, and thought for sure it that would solve my squeaking problem. Nope! About a week ago I tried to adjust the primary chain, and put HD Primary fluid in. It made it louder! I was previously running Amsoil 20W50. So, with that said, i will be sticking with the Amsoil. Ok, so i took the entire primary cover off, and checking everything thoroughly i found that i was able to wiggle the clutch assembly back and forth just a hair. a very minute amount. However, when i was trying to wiggle it, it was enough to put slack in and out of the chain. Thankfully it's not the main bearing. It seems like it's the clutch hub bearing. Would this cause a squeaking noise? It was most heard when the engine was thoroughly warmed up, and i was somewhat lugging it (ie:40mph in 5th gear). It's all apart, so i guess it's going to get replaced, and hopefully it takes care of the squeaking that i have been trying to find for over a year! opinions? thanks!

Old 08-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by SummitRK
I've had a "squeaking" going on for two riding seasons. I've had the primary opened up in the past, and found that the nut on the compensating sprocket was very loose (finger tight). I torqued it, and thought for sure it that would solve my squeaking problem. Nope! About a week ago I tried to adjust the primary chain, and put HD Primary fluid in. It made it louder! I was previously running Amsoil 20W50. So, with that said, i will be sticking with the Amsoil. Ok, so i took the entire primary cover off, and checking everything thoroughly i found that i was able to wiggle the clutch assembly back and forth just a hair. a very minute amount. However, when i was trying to wiggle it, it was enough to put slack in and out of the chain. Thankfully it's not the main bearing. It seems like it's the clutch hub bearing. Would this cause a squeaking noise? It was most heard when the engine was thoroughly warmed up, and i was somewhat lugging it (ie:40mph in 5th gear). It's all apart, so i guess it's going to get replaced, and hopefully it takes care of the squeaking that i have been trying to find for over a year! opinions? thanks!
Quit lugging the motor like that. No wonder your comp loosened up.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:21 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

unrelated, replaced the clutch hub w/ring gear and bearing already installed "as good or better then oem" aftermarket one for $200 and side by side the hub bearing looked way better then stock. Another area were they must have cut corners.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

have you checked the rubber mounts for your mufflers? they tend to squeak when they get old and dry

Old 08-16-2016, 03:09 PM
SummitRK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
have you checked the rubber mounts for your mufflers? they tend to squeak when they get old and dry

Yea, i found that problem within the first month or two i owed the bike. Thanks for the advice anyhow!

Old 08-16-2016, 03:18 PM
SummitRK
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
Quit lugging the motor like that. No wonder your comp loosened up.

I usually do not lug the engine like that. I was just using that as an example of when the squeak could be heard the most. I purchased it with approximately 20,000 miles on it. Whoever owned it prior to me probably did some goofy stuff to it. When I disassembled the primary this time, I had a hard time getting the comp. loosened. I had to heat it a bit with a torch. I took care of most of the issues with the bike. "the squeak" is the last thing. The rear wheel hub was even shot (the spoke holes were all oval) I ended up putting stock Road King wheels on it, and it looks great. I've also done the cam chain tensioners. Hopefully I will have it back together by the weekend, squeak-free!

Old 08-17-2016, 10:29 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

try washing the bike real good...i had a squeak and could not find it until i washed my bike real good and found a engine part i put on had wiggled loose...problem solved.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you check the hub splines and replace the chain when you saw that? That kind of movement will accelerate wear, especially chains. Once they start going south you cant correct the wear pattern just by adjusting.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:17 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SummitRK
Under the conditions you spoke of ( 40 in 5th) I found that the squeak was a too loose belt. I tightened it a little and the squeak was gone. And the fix was, free

Old 08-18-2016, 11:14 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

40 in 5th is horribly lugging the motor.