Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Harley release date 8/23/16

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo83
The updates to the rear suspension must be underwhelming because I can't see any explanation of it anywhere on the website.
I am thinking the same thing. I have been waiting a long time for increased travel in the rear shocks. I still don't know how much travel the new shocks will have. Hopefully they will be up to the task of what they should be.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:42 AM
tinsnips
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

going to go check out the new bikes. would like to get rid of my 08 ultra for a new one but its probably going to be a hard sell to the boss. she loves my bike but all the improvements since 08 make it tempting. we will see

Old 08-24-2016, 01:28 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,409 Likes on 4,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo83
The updates to the rear suspension must be underwhelming because I can't see any explanation of it anywhere on the website.
I was reading about the new bikes for a couple hours yesterday.

One of the sites I came across had a pic of the new rear shocks and the explanation that they are an emulsion shock with a **** controlled pre-load. They were touting that they were easy to adjust from solo to riding 2-up, with no tools necessary.

I couldn't tell if it was a new HD rear shock or one already in their inventory as an accessory... I swapped my air shocks for aftermarket so I don't know what Harley offers as an upgrade..

I can't remember where I saw it or I'd post a link....

the change to the front shocks look a little like, and seem to work like, the Ricor intiminators....

Last edited by hattitude; 08-24-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:27 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Believe it is an updated version of the Premium Hand Adjustable shock previously offered on the CVO and Street Glide Special.

I changed out the air shocks on my 12 Street Glide for the early models and found they made a huge improvement in ride, handling and comfort.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I was just looking at the new bike pics on harley website. The CVO Limited has 2 antennas on the tour pack. I'm guessing, like the others that the 2nd antenna is for cb.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:37 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I'm new to technology. I certainly am not an expert. I just assume everyone understands it at least as much as I do.... sorry about that...

Not sure on the specifics, but the bluetooth headsets talk to each other... there is no phone involved... just have to be in range...

http://www.sena.com/product/20s/

Not sure if they just all can talk within proximity of each other or if there is an initial pairing that needs to be done...

But there is a small group of people (4) I ride with and they are all on Harleys but I'm the only one with a CB. They are all chatting away on their bluetooth headsets as we ride....

I don't need to talk so much that I'm going to invest in one.... but most of the riding groups I'm aware of use these headsets.... A group can talk regardless of bike make or equipment .... just need one of these bluetooth things on your helmet... I did see a thread where there was a company that makes a dongle that plugs into the HD intercom system, to allow for bluetooth sets to be heard over the hd system... but it had limitations... like I said, I just don't need to talk that much...

I think that's why HD is phasing out the CB....
I gave up trying to keep up with technology myself, but I thought Bluetooth was tied to cell phones being able to connect to the Infotainment systems. I still would like to know how truckers communicate with each other.

I don't talk very much either, I'd rather just listen to my music, but a CB is handy to find out what's up the road or other local info.....or just to break up the monotony of a long stretch of highway.

Maybe some expert (or somewhat knowledgeable person) on CB/Bluetooth/cell phone/communications can shed some light on this and what truckers are doing now.

All the members in my chapter and some friends use headsets either with a shorty/half helmet or no helmet for their CB's.

I still use the trikes speakers to listen to the audio.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I was just looking at the new bike pics on harley website. The CVO Limited has 2 antennas on the tour pack. I'm guessing, like the others that the 2nd antenna is for cb.
Yep, looks like only the CVOs have the CB.

Last edited by Airborne350G; 08-25-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:59 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Maybe some expert (or somewhat knowledgeable person) on CB/Bluetooth/cell phone/communications can shed some light on this...
I'm "bold" (no pun intended ;-) ). Bluetooth has nothing to do with "cell phone". It is a protocol to transmit information wirelessly. Pretty much any cell phone will, however, have the capability to use bluetooth. But it has nothing to with a phone. It's in essence like WiFi, just using different "channels" (to keep it very simple). So you have two or more devices that can connect to each other and therefore "communicate" (in the widest sense; doesn't have to be voice) with each other. Again, similar like the computers at home that use WiFi to connect to the Internet (via a router) and possibly even "connect" to each other (I'm not touching upon the differences of point-to-point vs using a router; KISS).
CB is also a form of wireless communication and obviously much older than BT or WiFi. There are fundamental differences to BT, one being that the distance covered by BT is very limited with it being typically no more than 25 feet. CB can reach much longer distances. A BT communication between two trucks would therefore not be feasible, not to mention that it would be truck-to-truck and not truck-to-allotherCBs-out-there. To achieve something similar as CB in its result and capabilities it would probably be easiest to compare that to a conference call using cell phones. Again, not feasible for that purpose as a) it would cost money and b) one would indeed need to have the recipients phone number. Would never work.

So when talking about BT in a setup of several bikes this simply means that the riders have BT-capable headsets that are paired with each other and therefore can communicate with each other. The medium transmitted during this communication is obviously typically voice. But it could be music too, for example. For very large groups this causes problems but there are also solutions for that from e.g. Sena (such as using headsets as "hops" to pass on communication from the riders in the front to the ones in the back for instance, in essence forming a line of communication).

Maybe this helps a little with understanding BT. Again, this is a very simplistic explanation!

Old 08-26-2016, 07:53 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by valpal
I'm "bold" (no pun intended ;-) ). Bluetooth has nothing to do with "cell phone". It is a protocol to transmit information wirelessly. Pretty much any cell phone will, however, have the capability to use bluetooth. But it has nothing to with a phone. It's in essence like WiFi, just using different "channels" (to keep it very simple). So you have two or more devices that can connect to each other and therefore "communicate" (in the widest sense; doesn't have to be voice) with each other. Again, similar like the computers at home that use WiFi to connect to the Internet (via a router) and possibly even "connect" to each other (I'm not touching upon the differences of point-to-point vs using a router; KISS).
CB is also a form of wireless communication and obviously much older than BT or WiFi. There are fundamental differences to BT, one being that the distance covered by BT is very limited with it being typically no more than 25 feet. CB can reach much longer distances. A BT communication between two trucks would therefore not be feasible, not to mention that it would be truck-to-truck and not truck-to-allotherCBs-out-there. To achieve something similar as CB in its result and capabilities it would probably be easiest to compare that to a conference call using cell phones. Again, not feasible for that purpose as a) it would cost money and b) one would indeed need to have the recipients phone number. Would never work.

So when talking about BT in a setup of several bikes this simply means that the riders have BT-capable headsets that are paired with each other and therefore can communicate with each other. The medium transmitted during this communication is obviously typically voice. But it could be music too, for example. For very large groups this causes problems but there are also solutions for that from e.g. Sena (such as using headsets as "hops" to pass on communication from the riders in the front to the ones in the back for instance, in essence forming a line of communication).

Maybe this helps a little with understanding BT. Again, this is a very simplistic explanation!

That's pretty much exactly what I thought. Now, can anyone explain what truckers are doing???? I can't believe they don't talk to each other, but from my recent travels they are not.

Thanks, Valpal

Old 08-30-2016, 08:32 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
That's pretty much exactly what I thought. Now, can anyone explain what truckers are doing???? I can't believe they don't talk to each other, but from my recent travels they are not.
Actually, this question got me intrigued and I did a quick search on Google. One, I think, decent result is this: https://www.quora.com/How-do-trucker...-use-CB-radios

There you have it.

Sorry for off-topic, but since no trucker chimed in I figured *helpyourself*