Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 power

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:48 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

We all know that just last week the MOCO settled with the EPA and paid a big fine as a result of their Harley race tuner. The charge from the government was that by selling the race tuner it was allowing those of us who claim to be using the device off road were actually using the device on vehicles which are driven on road. That is correct although no manufacture will admit to it. I suspect that Harley, because of their size was just the manufacture to go after and set precedent. The vehicles still must be compliant with current EPA regulations and any after market manufacturer of combustion equipment will surely take pause when they enter any new marketing endeavors. After all, if the government decides they have picked you to dance with, it could very well put you out of business. Harley can weather a 12 million dollar fine but not everyone could or would. The MOCO has made a wise decision by paying the fine and agreeing to stop manufacturing and selling certain models of their race tuner. They are still going to be selling some race tuners, BUT they will have to comply with current EPA standards. You won't be getting maximum performance out of anything that complies with EPA standards. Heavy equipment, which is used off road and used in construction and agriculture is already EPA compliant in their new vehicles. That is just the way it is. It won't be long before they start to go after NASCAR. Or maybe my dairy cows which are nothing short of gas producing machines which are necessary to produce milk.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:46 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm gonna stick with my Cam 103. Everytime Harley makes a drastic change, it takes 2-3 years to get it right. Remember the initial problems from 2014. You had mechanics at the dealerships who had no idea how to correct them. In my opinion, the 2017's will get right in 2019.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
I'm gonna stick with my Cam 103. Everytime Harley makes a drastic change, it takes 2-3 years to get it right. Remember the initial problems from 2014. You had mechanics at the dealerships who had no idea how to correct them. In my opinion, the 2017's will get right in 2019.
Yes, but a new frame comes out in 2018, and then a new dutyquadwamjammer comes out in 2020. Then in 2022............
By the time you wait for a bike that has been fully tested, you're too old to ride it and too poor to pay for it.

Ask your wife for your pair back and take a small risk. I say small because you get a two year warranty with that brand new engine.

Beary

Old 08-24-2016, 01:57 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Yes, but a new frame comes out in 2018, and then a new dutyquadwamjammer comes out in 2020. Then in 2022............
By the time you wait for a bike that has been fully tested, you're too old to ride it and too poor to pay for it.

Ask your wife for your pair back and take a small risk. I say small because you get a two year warranty with that brand new engine.

Beary

KMA, Bear

Old 08-24-2016, 02:04 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Demo Days at the local dealer here this weekend. I'm for sure going to at least go take an Ultra Limited for a ride. I've got an '09 with FM 107... I've been thinking of upgrading since '14 but have yet to pull the trigger.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:34 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

It's going to be fun to see what this new engine can do with a little work.
I believe with a good dyno with this one will be all most people will do.
Will be some that can't leave it alone.and I bet I would be one of them.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Fuel Moto and the rest of the aftermarket will be all over enhancing this new engine, however for many of us the 103 has been good enough to not go down that rabbit hole of ruining good by chasing better.

In addition, HD already has EPA stage I II &III on the shelf with full Warranty and EPA blessing. Think everybody will be able to find something to suit them.

In a couple years, expect HD themselves to evolve this motor and come out with a HO version to come stock with the bikes.

More power, less vibration, better fuel economy, improved emissions, cooler running, better riding, handling and better sounding. Think this is a pretty good offering for the Harley faithful, and even cross shoppers.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:52 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

I will be able to give you a seat of the pants dyno report after Friday. Headed to the Full Boar open house in KCMO to ride the new models, not so much interested in the touring as I am the Lowrider S but I'll give the 17 RGU a spin.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:39 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We will have our 2017 bike today or tomorrow and we will start a full effort of testing and product development. We already have ECM reads for the 2017 bikes and are working on getting everything ready with Power Vision so that part of it should go quickly, however we have to develop & redesign a full range of products as nearly everything has changed on these bikes from an engine, exhaust & intake standpoint; we have a ton of work ahead of us. We will start a new thread with our test info and post as we go just as we have done in the past, really looking forward to working in this new platform, we have a bunch of cool stuff in the works with some great partners that we work with. Stay tuned...
This is awesome news,

Old 08-24-2016, 05:13 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython
I will be able to give you a seat of the pants dyno report after Friday. Headed to the Full Boar open house in KCMO to ride the new models, not so much interested in the touring as I am the Lowrider S but I'll give the 17 RGU a spin.
I rode the lowrider s twice at Demo Days Mad River Hd during Ohio Bike week. Very fun bike with great power.

Quick Reply: 2017 power