Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender frustration

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:25 AM
netwon
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Maybe I'm wrong here but the tender senses voltage from the battery and the charging circuit within the unit starts the charge process. I'm thinking if the mini-fuse on the battery pigtail is blown or missing how is the tender unit going to sense the battery voltage. I would check this fuse.
This seems to make sense. I had my blow once found out when my heated gear didn't get warm! Just pop a voltage tester on the bike side leads and ensure you 12VDC more or less.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 AM
6530mask
Elite HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Or grimlins....

Let me have my fun lol! On the other hand the 'tender' is akin to a trickle charger (less) - but designed to pulse on/off as req'd. They are not robust. If the bike is draining current constantly while the tender is connected then it might be beyond it's capacity. In other words it stays in the charge mode? A fully charged battery is good for several months. If the tender stayed engaged for several weeks before going 'south' then no way the bike's battery would have fully discharged.

It could be the flux capacitor though. (I like that)

Old 08-25-2016, 09:19 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I've had more than just my current bike plugged in. The only constant is I can't get them to last. I better check the flux capacitor...

Old 08-25-2016, 09:28 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
I've had more than just my current bike plugged in. The only constant is I can't get them to last. I better check the flux capacitor...
Well, it's obvious that the Battery Tender is a bad product, and you shouldn't use one.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:35 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

i've had several go bad on me. they replaced under warrenty.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:39 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Time to move Rob. That house doesn't like you anymore.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Or grimlins....
Uh oh ... I forgot all about that/them. Bob, you do have a Gremlin Bell grounded properly, correct?

Old 08-25-2016, 12:04 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
Time to move Rob. That house doesn't like you anymore.
First my wife,now the house.

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Uh oh ... I forgot all about that/them. Bob, you do have a Gremlin Bell grounded properly, correct?
I better call the dealer,maybe he can change out my summer air in the tires while I'm there.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:37 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I bough a 4 bank Deltran Battery Tender over 10 years ago and it's still working with the exception that one of the banks "died" several years ago and I just never got around to having it repaired,
I also have 4 of their single chargers and I've never had an issue with any of them.

If you're having this much failure with your chargers it would seem that the problem could only be in one of two places: the bike/battery, or the electrical system in your garage/home.

A weak battery might put too much demand on the charger (you should ask the manufacturer about this).

If there's a problem with your home electrical I'd be looking at grounds.
I'm no electrician, but many years ago (in a different home) light bulbs didn't seem to live very long in our master bathroom.
An electrician at work suggested that I check (carefully of course) and tighten all of the ground wires in my electrical service panel and it seemed to help but it could have just been my imagination.

Oh, and as an earlier poster stated, NEVER use a "battery charger" instead of a "battery tender". I did this many years ago and boiled a battery to death just trying to another season out of it!

Old 08-25-2016, 01:38 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Battery Tender has a great guarantee. Send it back to them (I believe it's a Florida address) and they replace it, no questions asked!

Best company I've ever dealt with! I have Tenders on my three bikes, boat and lawn mower.

P.s. Shop the internet. For the same price that Harley charges for the "junior," you can get the real deal.
Interesting, Thanks! JR

Quick Reply: Battery Tender frustration