Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender frustration

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
Seriously I'm getting tired of replacing these things. In five years I've went through three! I've tried different outlets thinking that maybe the culprit,but no change. Two HD ones,and now my battery tender Jr. isn't working. Went out to to fire up the bike for a ride and the bike barely turned over. I look over at the tender plugged in,and noticed the light was out on the display
Wondering why the battery was dead, how long since it was last running. A good battery should last a few months without a charge.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:49 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

I have four of the Delran 1.25 battery tenders. And one of the smaller ones.

The 1.25's on the Bike, John Deere, two lawn mowers, and the smaller one keeping the generator's battery up to snuff.

The bike's security system will deplete the battery and is a constant drain.

I keep them all plugged in all the time.

I've been using the same ones for about 4 years.

After returning from a ride, the 1.25 will show green on the bikes battery in about 10 minutes, john deere about the same maybe a couple of minutes less and the lawn mowers, maybe 45 minutes.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:13 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I like my Batteryminder Plus. I only use it on the bike over the winter. And I don't leave it hooked up all the time. I just put on once a month for a day.
I use it for all my boat batteries too. One of them is 16 years old and still works fine.

http://www.batteryminders.com/6-volt...​​

Old 09-28-2016, 06:31 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,922 Likes on 21,309 Posts
Old 09-28-2016, 08:10 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmboy666
Wondering why the battery was dead, how long since it was last running. A good battery should last a few months without a charge.
It was a couple of months or more. My outlets are behind my tool box so it's hard to see that the light was out. Funny this thread was bumped,I just last week bought two new tender jr's. Plugged them in with a surge protector and mounted it to the side of the box so I can keep a close eye on the light. Hopefully I'll get great life out of them (keeping my receipts)!!!

Old 09-28-2016, 11:37 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I like my Batteryminder Plus. I only use it on the bike over the winter. And I don't leave it hooked up all the time. I just put on once a month for a day.
I use it for all my boat batteries too. One of them is 16 years old and still works fine.

http://www.batteryminders.com/6-volt...​​
==============================================

" I don't leave it hooked up all the time. I just put on once a month for a day. "

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a true statement and why following same basic battery maint like he does always get's me considerably longer then normal svc life out of the batteries in my bikes & classic muscle cars.

even thought the mfg's state its perfectly safe to leave the maint/float chargers on the battery 24/7 or often i found that not to always be the which is coming from 4.5+ decade wrenching bikes & cars being involed with maont/float from when they 1st came out to today.

Over all those yrs wrenching I have seen more then a few quality batteries eat the dust in 1-1.5-2yrs when they typically last 4.5-5yrs on avg with some going 6.5-7yrs all failing prematurely with a maint /float charger used on them 24/7 or OFTEN!

Not saying all float charger are an issue because they arent,i am just that in some cases they can be an issue leading to premature battery failure which is why from the get go i never trusted the maint/float chargers on my batteries 24/7 or often .

Leave the float charger on the battery till its fully charged and go's to float mode .

Then remove the float charger from the battery shortly after that or max 24hrs later.

AGIAN,DON'T LEAVE FLOAT CHARGER ON THE BATTERY 24/7 OR OFTEN FOR LONG PERIOD AFTER BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED & YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY PREMATURE BATTERY FAIL ISSUES ATTRIBUTED TO THE FLOAT CHARGER POSSIBLY OVERDOING IT.

Scott

Old 09-29-2016, 07:57 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Heres something else to consider that's often overlooked when it comes to leaving tenders/float chargers on our bike batteries because the majorty of us are now running newer gen maint free AGM batteries and you think well whats the problem with that?

Well the problem with that is by design AGM (Absorbed Glass mat) bike batteries use considerably less electrolite then older gen std lead acid batteries do making AGM batteries much more sensitive to overcharging and or drying out & warping the plates leading to premature battery failure in some cases when a float charger is used on an AGM bike battery 24/7 or often.

Again,i am not saying thats always the case with all float chargers but from my many yrs 1st hand experience wrenching classic muscle cars & bikes for myself (and other people i maintain vehicles for) over the yrs i have seen this happen more then just a couple times when it comes to premature AGM battery failure & float chargers.

Thats why i rec float chargers on our bike batteries (esp AGM) be removed from the battery not too long after the battery reaches full charge to a max of 24hrs.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 09-29-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:42 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

I agree with WSCOTT as I also have lost battery's that was left on a tender 24/7 for no reason other than over charging

Old 09-29-2016, 09:18 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I have a Battery Tender Plus that's several years old, always worked fine. Since I've had as many as 11 batteries in the basement in winter, I got a pair of Schumachers (2 different styles) and both overcharged and cooked one battery before I noticed it. Trashed those, got a Noco smart charger, liked it so much I got another on a $40 sale. Had a battery stop charging in my van over a year ago, regular car charger didn't bring it back, tried the Noco (took 2 days) and it's worked fine since. I rotate a Noco tender among the batteries, don't just leave a charger on one for a long time, and leave the other one in the garage for the van and winter bike.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:50 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
Nah,just replaced the entire system last year. Tested both outlets including two more inside the house all near 120v,so all good there.
Most tender issues are directly caused by a defective battery pigtail. Have you chaged that when trying different tenders?

Quick Reply: Battery Tender frustration