Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beat to death - Good Compensator for higher HP Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 AM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beat to death - Good Compensator for higher HP Bikes?

Hello!

Bike is finally back on the road after 3 years and a major overhaul.

That said, im working out all the quirks that it had that ive forgotten about.

One of them being a garbage compensator AGAIN!

It has the updated SE compensator now with about 4400 miles on it, and its knocking on startup and shut down, and bad when you lug it.

Im sure the short life can be attributed to the Type F ATF Barnett required with their Scorpion clutch.

I dont want to buy another SE unit, *** the 14k factory unit faired better with the ATF then the SE unit.

Barnett now says i can go back to a petro based oil, so ill prob. go to Spectro and give that a whirl. Im going to replace the clutch frictions while im in there again.

Its not a monster, but its an 07 Ultra with a 125/125 103".

Baker and others are talking up their compensator something fierce, but its $500.00.

Who has insight on heavy duty compensators and how they have help up?

This will be the 3rd time the primary has been apart in 2 months, id like it to be the last for a while!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insights!

I added a 4 after pictures, 1 before picture and 2 during pictures. 2007 Ultra. Custom 180 converted rear, 2009+ underframe exhaust. Custom rear fender and 1 off fillers. And a whole lot of random yet time consuming work.

Ryan

Attached Thumbnails Beat to death - Good Compensator for higher HP Bikes?-ultra2.jpg   Beat to death - Good Compensator for higher HP Bikes?-ultra3.jpg   Beat to death - Good Compensator for higher HP Bikes?-ultra4.jpg   Beat to death - Good Compensator for higher HP Bikes?-ultra5.jpg   Beat to death - Good Compensator for higher HP Bikes?-harley.jpg  

Beat to death - Good Compensator for higher HP Bikes?-baggerlift.jpg   Beat to death - Good Compensator for higher HP Bikes?-baggin.jpg  
Old 08-29-2016, 12:38 PM
liquidr1
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

SE and Baker are about the only options. You could go with a solid sprocket and eliminate the comp. Some have done it but I personally wouldn't do it.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:43 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Pricy yes but after 5 SE comps Baker is the only one that is holding up and im at about 134 Ft Lbs. The SE comps are a maintenance item. Change em out every 15k.

The following users liked this post:
2007 HD Ultra Classic (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 01:07 PM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser

The baker unit seem ok thus far?

Mine is knocking on startup and shutdown again with 4400 on it.

My crank has forged rods, is pinned, trued and welded, so its sturdy.

My understanding with eliminating it, the concern is the crank/flywheel taking a beating.

I emailed John from Darkhorse, as he did my crank, and asked for his opinion on eliminating it, and if there is concerns.

Awaiting a reply now, but he is usually prompt.

Im torn, i just hate to spend 500 on a baker unit for it to end up like what I have.

Ryan

Old 08-29-2016, 01:29 PM
trk35
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Quit messing around with a compensator. I went with the Evolution Industries 34T solid sprocket. That was about 20,000 miles ago. John did my bottom end also. I have a bit more in the tank than you do, not much just a bit. None of the above mentioned comps held up. I have no problems with the solid sprocket. PM me if you want more.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:54 PM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser

Pm'd. Interested in some details.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:27 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Sure if your crank is good and you dont mind the chatter of a solid sprocket that go for it! Pretty sure I would not like it on mine. Personal preference.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have a 120 in a 15 Freewheeler and a 13 Street Bob. Over 15K combined miles. No issues with the clutch or comp.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:19 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have a 120 in a 15 Freewheeler and a 13 Street Bob. Over 15K combined miles. No issues with the clutch or comp.
I didnt see my first comp failure till around 40k FWIW. Then it was a failure about every 20k.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:43 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

You don't say what version of the SE comp you have now. Is it the one that comes with the little oil cup and the T70 Torx head bolt? If not, you haven't experienced the latest version. It addresses most of the problems of hub lubrication in the previous versions. I have 65000 on the "Mark 1 SE comp. I did a little customizing on it and have used 10W-60 synthetic motor oil in the primary.

Personally, I think Harley still missed a couple of points on the latest comp, there are no passages to let oil OUT of the hub area. Looks to me like the oil goes in and gets stuck. If I get the latest comp I will put a small cut on the back face of the hub area of the spoked wheel centered on each spoke to let the oil out so new oil can circulate through there. Did that on the front and back faces on my current comp and it has outlasted what many others have reported with the early SE comps. Second, I cut small radial slots on each spoke just inboard of where the cam rubs on the spokes. The cut only goes to about the mid point of the cam contact area. Hopefully it lets oil sling into the cam face area and keep it lubed. Did both sets of cuts with a Dremel cutting wheel. Considering the mileage I have gotten so far on this comp, I would have a hard time spending the extra money on the Baker unit, though I am confident it is an excellent piece.

Quick Reply: Beat to death - Good Compensator for higher HP Bikes?