Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Ohlins to Progressive? WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 12:32 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts
Default From Ohlins to Progressive? WTF???

Yep - that's what I did. Let the onslaught begin.

Back story - Bought the 2014 SGS new down in Arkansas where the roads are as smooth as Heather Locklear's behind (80s vintage). The bike ran and handled great. Rode home and the farther north I got, the worse it felt. By the time I hit the good land, I knew I would need to upgrade the shocks.

Ohlins were the obvious choice. They get great reviews here and I've had them on my BMWs. Top notch stuff to be sure so I bought them from the best place to get them - Howard Messner. Howard has forgotten more about shocks than I'll ever know and I enjoyed my transaction and subsequent tuning discussions with him. Great guy to deal with. I purchased the 2.5s in the spring of 15. I got around to installing in early summer and the difference was immediate and noticeable. Far more compliant than stock and the bike was more planted. But, good shocks don't change a city's bad streets and there's just so much you can do with 3.7 inches of travel on 850 lbs of bike. Accepting that, I lived with the much better, but still very firm ride. I'll quickly point out that yes, I had them properly adjusted. I did the initial sag adjustment of 1.2x inches which was pretty good. But in speaking with Howard the job was not done, so I did the tie wrap thing and played with preload until the top of the tie wrap was 3/16ths off the bump stop on the average ride.

And that's the problem - the average ride around here is rough. I had to add preload somewhat beyond the sag preload to keep the tie wrap off the bump stop. I payed around one full day with the bags off, the preload tool, and the dampening ****. I spent a full afternoon riding back and forth on the same road. The best I could do was not good enough.

I mentioned this to a friend who has a few bikes. He said he had no such problems and I was, undoubtedly, a *****. Considering that possibility, I asked if we could swap for a short ride so I could try his bike as a baseline for someone who is content with the way his bike rides. Cutting to the chase, his bike was like riding on a cloud compared to mine. And he wasn't a big fan of my bike's ride at all. Turns out he was running Progressive 444s as recommended by the Harley dealer.

Fast forward to last Friday. I installed the Progressives (13.5s) and went for a ride. Like with the 1st Ohlins ride which was remarkably better than the stockers, the Progressives were remarkably more plush than the Ohlins. Notice I didn't say better. Better is subjective. So for me, yes, better. Simply put, the roads that used to **** me off are now just roads. I did a few rides solo and with Cheryl and I am not disappointed. In fact, I am very happy I made the switch.

So maybe I'm a hamburger guy instead of a steak guy - who knows. I know the Ohlins are great shocks. I sold them advertised as such and I wholeheartedly believe it. I guess what it comes down to is there is a reason they make different brands. There are many, many variables to consider when buying a shock, and then add in the even more numerous differences in perceptions and desires. All I can tell you is that on this bike, I prefer a plush ride vs a firm performance ride. The Progressives give me that.

YMMV

The following 3 users liked this post by nevada72:
6 gun (09-08-2018), Streetrunner (09-03-2016), Thingfish (09-18-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

It sounds like you needed to go up one step in spring rates. There is only so much you can do with preload if your spring rate is not high enough. Good to hear the Progressives worked out. You didn't mention which ones you bought.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:38 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Yep - that's what I did. Let the onslaught begin.

Back story - Bought the 2014 SGS new down in Arkansas where the roads are as smooth as Heather Locklear's behind (80s vintage). The bike ran and handled great. Rode home and the farther north I got, the worse it felt. By the time I hit the good land, I knew I would need to upgrade the shocks.

Ohlins were the obvious choice. They get great reviews here and I've had them on my BMWs. Top notch stuff to be sure so I bought them from the best place to get them - Howard Messner. Howard has forgotten more about shocks than I'll ever know and I enjoyed my transaction and subsequent tuning discussions with him. Great guy to deal with. I purchased the 2.5s in the spring of 15. I got around to installing in early summer and the difference was immediate and noticeable. Far more compliant than stock and the bike was more planted. But, good shocks don't change a city's bad streets and there's just so much you can do with 3.7 inches of travel on 850 lbs of bike. Accepting that, I lived with the much better, but still very firm ride. I'll quickly point out that yes, I had them properly adjusted. I did the initial sag adjustment of 1.2x inches which was pretty good. But in speaking with Howard the job was not done, so I did the tie wrap thing and played with preload until the top of the tie wrap was 3/16ths off the bump stop on the average ride.

And that's the problem - the average ride around here is rough. I had to add preload somewhat beyond the sag preload to keep the tie wrap off the bump stop. I payed around one full day with the bags off, the preload tool, and the dampening ****. I spent a full afternoon riding back and forth on the same road. The best I could do was not good enough.

I mentioned this to a friend who has a few bikes. He said he had no such problems and I was, undoubtedly, a *****. Considering that possibility, I asked if we could swap for a short ride so I could try his bike as a baseline for someone who is content with the way his bike rides. Cutting to the chase, his bike was like riding on a cloud compared to mine. And he wasn't a big fan of my bike's ride at all. Turns out he was running Progressive 444s as recommended by the Harley dealer.

Fast forward to last Friday. I installed the Progressives (13.5s) and went for a ride. Like with the 1st Ohlins ride which was remarkably better than the stockers, the Progressives were remarkably more plush than the Ohlins. Notice I didn't say better. Better is subjective. So for me, yes, better. Simply put, the roads that used to **** me off are now just roads. I did a few rides solo and with Cheryl and I am not disappointed. In fact, I am very happy I made the switch.

So maybe I'm a hamburger guy instead of a steak guy - who knows. I know the Ohlins are great shocks. I sold them advertised as such and I wholeheartedly believe it. I guess what it comes down to is there is a reason they make different brands. There are many, many variables to consider when buying a shock, and then add in the even more numerous differences in perceptions and desires. All I can tell you is that on this bike, I prefer a plush ride vs a firm performance ride. The Progressives give me that.

YMMV
Sounds like a "win" for you...congrats!!
Quick question...what's your (aprox) weight & Cheryl's (I know that's a touchy one and don't mean to get you in trouble)? I tip out at about 200 and my wife at 125...plus riding gear of course. And then, what spring rate did you go with...standard or heavy duty?

Old 08-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,659 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Originally Posted by Super08
It sounds like you needed to go up one step in spring rates. There is only so much you can do with preload if your spring rate is not high enough. Good to hear the Progressives worked out. You didn't mention which ones you bought.
He said his friend got the 444's. I assume he got the same.

Which is what I'm running. I find the ride pretty comfortable but still a little disappointed with how they handle sharp-edged bumps. Our roads are crap here too.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:48 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
... I know the Ohlins are great shocks. I sold them advertised as such and I wholeheartedly believe it....
YMMV
I wish I had known you were selling them.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by lefty33
Sounds like a "win" for you...congrats!!
Quick question...what's your (aprox) weight & Cheryl's (I know that's a touchy one and don't mean to get you in trouble)? I tip out at about 200 and my wife at 125...plus riding gear of course. And then, what spring rate did you go with...standard or heavy duty?
I'm at 210 and she's at 120ish. I told the Progressive guy that I ride 50% solo/50% 2 up lately and 1 or two long trips a year. I got the 90/130 standard on his recommendation but I'm maxed out on preload for us both, so I'm thinking the HDs may be the way to go. He said if the standards didn't work, he would swap them out. His caution was that solo the HDs may be too firm. But even setting sag for solo, I only have 1.5 turns left on the standards.

Originally Posted by Dynamick
He said his friend got the 444's. I assume he got the same.

Which is what I'm running. I find the ride pretty comfortable but still a little disappointed with how they handle sharp-edged bumps. Our roads are crap here too.
That's correct - 444s

On the sharp edged bumps, I can tell you I prefer the Progressives. It's only the really severe hits that they are unpleasant. That's maybe 1 or 2 per ride here. But the Ohlins wouldn't have been any better. A crap road will bottom out most HDs. The only solution would be to ride a longer travel suspension like a BMW GS.

Last edited by nevada72; 08-29-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:57 PM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by bettingpython
I wish I had known you were selling them.
I didn't really go out of my way to advertise that I was unhappy with the Ohlins. Again because I know they are great shocks and that the variables present where I live along with my preference for a cushy ride made them not the best choice for me.

That said, I sold them to a HDF member on the classifieds. He's a little heavier than I am and I will say, that when we added more weight with both of us and all of the gear, the Ohlins were much more plush. So I'm pretty sure he'll be super happy with them.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Am I right that you went with 13.5 as opposed to the stock 12 on a Street Glide? I'm wondering how much worse the ride would be on the 12's? Our Vermont roads sound like yours. The gravel roads here are better than the pavement.

I've been toying with 944's or 444's?

Old 08-29-2016, 02:54 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Another alternative, for a plush ride, is to consider the Hammock seat. Feels like adding another inch to the shock stroke. (also adds almost another inch to the seating position

Old 08-29-2016, 03:02 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought them. I had Progressive 940's on my '07 Street Glide and really loved them. When I sold the bike and bought my '13 Ultra Limited, they had Works Steel Trackers, which for my setup and weight, aren't working out for me. These Ohlin's seem like they'll be a good fit. I spoke to Howard and he told me that based on my weight and that of my girlfriend, he would have gone with the same spring rate and shim stack that he installed for the OP. I just need to make sure I get them dialed in. NY Metro area roads are pretty bad so fingers crossed it all works out.

Can't wait to get them!

Quick Reply: From Ohlins to Progressive? WTF???