Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by im
The rear axle crack mentioned earlier is related to lowering blocks for rear shocks in my opinion.
Every time i have read about it, bike had lowering blocks at some time in its life.
The crack happens right at the oval for axle adjustment.
2000s have a different style axle.

I bought mine with lowering blocks. 73k now. Axle is fine. I have not taken apart the tensioner to know.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:10 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
2000s have a different style axle.

I bought mine with lowering blocks. 73k now. Axle is fine. I have not taken apart the tensioner to know.
Excellent, i have a 1998 so it has the older axle.
Good to hear that a 2000 has the beefier axle.
Thank you for clarification.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:17 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The problem with the 2000 maybe 01s had a different style swingarm, and they would crack, not that axle.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Zerk
Banned

I am not sure the size of my axle, or how they have changed over the years. I just now tensioner on my 07 is different. I am guessing it might have happened when they went to wide tire around 02 or 03.

I do know someone who had a cracked axle on mid 90s. $1500 cause they don't make axles that match his wheel, according to him.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:04 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I mentioned the swingarm cracking, somehow that changed to axles cracking. The swingarms on the 2001 and earlier touring twin cams are prone to cracking where the axle goes through. 2002 and later got a redesigned swingarm and axle adjuster system that is much stronger. The axle also increased from 3/4" to 1" at that time.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:06 PM
Boxermaniac98
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by im
When someone buys a used bike and has dreams to make changes i usually suggest they wait.
Review mechanical stuff first.
Is bike safe to ride? A fairing mount would be important.
Are the tires OK?
Are the rims OK?
Are the brakes OK?
Are critical fasteners OK?
Are all tensioners OK?
How is the charging system and battery age?
The rear axle crack mentioned earlier is related to lowering blocks for rear shocks in my opinion.
Every time i have read about it, bike had lowering blocks at some time in its life.
The crack happens right at the oval for axle adjustment.
Lowering blocks change the leverage at that one point.
Combining that with an over tightened axle would be a root cause of the crack.
Basically review every detail first for safety.
The reasons are simple... safety first.
People get bummed (sad) really quick when they go out and spend $800-$1,500 for some wheel upgrades and then add other stuff on a new used bike.
Then they are into the bike for $2,000 when something breaks at a cost of $200-$350.
Maybe a flat or something else that is common.
They become angry because they have not had a chance to ride the bike and decide it is not the bike for them and want to trade-in.
When they get hit with the loss of value after spending more money they get bummed even more..
Unless the person has deep pockets or are very experienced with Harleys then it might be best to go slow.
Let them ride it and enjoy it so they can discover what there needs and wants might be.
Safety first.

Good advise, yes at first I wanted to make some changes, however after a few days the high went away and my brain kicked in.
Rear tire was replaced the day I purchased it on the way home.
Front tire is new, don't know when it was replaced but it has many miles left on it. Looks bran new.
Fixed the front left fairing bracket with a 3/4" shelf bracket from home depot and stopped the shaking.
Replaced the front breaks the first week (last Thursday)
Replaced the Choke cable, it was broken when I bought the bike.
checked all of the fluids, lights,
Replaced the plugs and took it for a ride.
About 120 or so miles with Rocket, last Saturday and have another planned for this weekend.
I want to enjoy the bike, so to for me I would like to purchase a new seat, and remove the tour pack.
I have looked on the forums for seats and reviews and just have not found any good information and a seat that will move me back a couple of inches and still be good for long rides.
I would also like to change the front head light as I would prefer one a lot brighter. Nothing wrong with it, it is just the old ford style 7" light.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:11 PM
Boxermaniac98
Intermediate

Originally Posted by svarnster
depending on which pipes you have, it may be possible to add or change the baffles to quiet down the bike, carb adjustment would vary depending on what changes you make.

Changed the pipes today, Rocket gave me his originals and I put them on. Much quieter now. I will ride a few times to see if these reduce any power or cause it to run rich. Trying to watch some YouTube on carb adjustments.

I am pretty good with a wrench so now its just finding the right information.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Good to hear you reviewed safety items and are enjoying the bike.
Consider waiting on the headlight change.
If the headlight is changed then it will cause a color imbalance with the spot driving lights.
Meaning that a modern headlight will appear more white and then the spots will look yellow.
Some people care, others do not...I think it looks terrible.
You may wish to consider doing the simple wire jumper modification that allows the use of high beam with the spots ON at the same time.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:04 AM
Zerk
Banned

I can't see the color imbalance when I am driving. SO I don't care. Probably have it one bike or two now.

As lights burn out I replace them.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:53 PM
Boxermaniac98
Intermediate

Can anyone help me with a seat? I have a nice seat for when I want to 2 up and have the tour pack on. However the 2up section is just too large when the tour pack is off. From what I have seen in the forum the seats that I think I would be interested in I see that someone states they are only good for 80 miles or so. I am 6'2" and 250lbs I would like to move down and back (back at least 2") with a thin or no 2 up pad. I would prefer a 2 up pad for quick runs for breakfast or dinner. I hate to post a new thread as I know that I will hear this has already been beat to death, but I can't find one that is for the 2000 EGC. I would like to stay around 300 if possible. I did look at the ?Tallboy? and read that it is only good for short runs. I plan on sitting in that seat for 8 plus hours every week this fall.