Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two up on Road Glides

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:23 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by trip20
Very true!

What we were discussing though was the complaints I'd read of heads vibrating from buffeting and blurry vision that goes along with it. I don't think anyone would enjoy that part of motorcycling.
I suppose! LMAO!

Old 09-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 499 Posts

The better half has her own and isn't on back a lot, but liked the 13 RG better than the 16 RGS, says she feels more wind on the 16 and to her it's more turbulent. It's a good thing she has her own, cause she doesn't like being on back and I'm more comfortable without her on back. Next time she's lazy and wants on back gonna tell her it will void the warranty. Considering she's 5 foot nothing with heels on and I'm 6' I wouldn't think she'd get much wind but she does.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:44 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

U will need a Ultra seat, backrest and better windscreen.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:12 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought my 2012 RGU with a stock windshield both my wife and I were not happy. We came from a RKC and that windshield gave more protection to the face and upper body. The first time we got caught in the rain it felt like having a hose spraying us directly in the face. I did a little reading and decided to go with the Madstad, best decision ever! The concept works, period, and has now been incorporated into the Rushmore Street Glides and RG's. It took a little adjusting to get it right for both the rider and the passenger, but it is great. We can cruise at 80-85+ with very little wind. I know that some don't like the look but I have grown to like it and it just plain works. And the RGU with lowers has so much more wind protection than my old RKC, I loved it but when I get on it now it makes me realize how spoiled I have become when touring.

Haven't tried a Rushmore but from what I read the stock windshield, at least on the RGS still need replacing.

The following users liked this post:
sixguns (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:27 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

2013 Road Glide Ultra...with a 14" MADSTAD shield. No complaints.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I am 6' and my wife is 5' 7". Neither of us get any buffeting or wind blast. My bike is far from stock now though. It started out as a plane jane Road Glide, but is now equipped with a 16" Freedom Shield, lowers, fork deflectors, etc. A very comfy set up on the road.

The following users liked this post:
sixguns (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 PM
PSRumors
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

RGS with a 13" Freedom Shield, Road King seat, tourpak moved 2" back and lower fairings. The wife has fallen asleep back there reading books

Old 09-27-2016, 10:31 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

When I got my 2015 RGS, the girlfriend hated the seat. I got an Air Hawk as a temporary upgrade for her, but I also am not a fan of the seat, so that will be getting fixed this winter. As for the wind, I don't know too many Rushmore owners of the sharks that like them. Look cool as hell, but not much protection. I now run a Klock Werks Pro-Tour 12" shield and it is a big difference. But the girlfriend has not complained either way about the wind

Old 09-28-2016, 01:51 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
the RGU wins out. The wind is better on the driver too...

One couples experience anyway.
Make that 2.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:58 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2016 RGU, lady likes the seat and is even content with the stock boards. She loves the backrest, feels safe in it. I now also have a rider's backrest that she can hold on to if I, ehm, am in a hurry :-D
However, even with the 15" LRS, wind is an issue for her (not for me, not even with the stock shield, which I actually don't mind at all...) once we go beyond some 75 mph for a longer time. It pushes her helmet back too much and ultimately strains her neck. It's simply uncomfortable, and I guess we all know how that feels (in any given direction ;-) ). At slower speeds not problems for her, at least with the LRS. Stock is less good for her. Again, this is the Ultra which has a very different shield from the RG and has the backrest. Big difference.

Quick Reply: Two up on Road Glides