Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two up on Road Glides

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 05:06 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Two up on Road Glides

Who rides their wives around and will comment on how she likes the wind protection?

Reason I ask is because I did a demo ride with my wife and she hated the bike, but I believe it was cause of the seat and no sissy bar that got her off on the wrong foot.

looking for opinions from those who do lots of interstate two up.....

Old 09-27-2016, 05:16 PM
ridealive1911
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I had 2 RG's. The 07 had no tour pack or back rest. Wife didn't really like it that much. After 1.5 years she learned to ride and got her own bike. When I got the 11 FLTRU she tried it and rode with me more than before and her bike sat around more. She liked the secure feeling of the 11 with tour pack. She also said the 11 rode smoother than the 07.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:22 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

I have a passenger backrest for my wife, also put on the full streamliner foot boards and my wife has no complaints.
Don't know what to tell you.
Good luck!

Old 09-27-2016, 05:27 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

My GF is 5'6 and rode on the back of my last bike about 14,000 miles, a 14 Limited. Used the big stock seat and stock windshield and a 10" LRS recurve for a bit.
Almost always long trips, including a trip to and from Sturgis. She's seasoned.

I bought this 17 RGU only because tourpak and I love road glides. Thought I'd give it a chance but would bet she'd hate the back - because road glides...

Total opposite. She loves it. States there is a little more wind on her shoulders but it's smooth... doesn't get beat up back there. Just glides through the wind. Likes it way, way better.
Again using the stock windshield and big ole puffy seat.

Bottom line, apples to almost apples, the RGU wins out. The wind is better on the driver too...

One couples experience anyway.

The following users liked this post:
sixguns (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 05:52 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

my wit also hated the rg,seems with the fairing farther forward the pocket closes right on her head. maybe a taller windshield may have helped but i stuck with the limited.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:54 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
My GF is 5'6 and rode on the back of my last bike about 14,000 miles, a 14 Limited. Used the big stock seat and stock windshield and a 10" LRS recurve for a bit. Almost always long trips, including a trip to and from Sturgis. She's seasoned. I bought this 17 RGU only because tourpak and I love road glides. Thought I'd give it a chance but would bet she'd hate the back - because road glides... Total opposite. She loves it. States there is a little more wind on her shoulders but it's smooth... doesn't get beat up back there. Just glides through the wind. Likes it way, way better. Again using the stock windshield and big ole puffy seat. Bottom line, apples to almost apples, the RGU wins out. The wind is better on the driver too... One couples experience anyway.
Been considering the new RGU myself but like the OP I too am worried about the wind in the wife's face. Have also toyed with the idea of doing a conversion on mine and turning it into a "panty snatcher".

lp (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 06:03 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My wife says the wind is smoother on the Road Glide than that of the Limited that I used to have.

sixguns (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 06:08 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When I bought my '13 I thought the wife was going to hate it after some forum reading. It seemed everyone had to use a Madstad windshield in order to make their passenger happy. There was no way I was putting one of those on my bike.

When I told my wife about what I read she said, "I'm on a motorcycle I expect to feel the wind." At first I thought she might just be talking tough, but after over 20k miles she still can't figure it out what causes the complaints. So in the end I think it depends on the passenger.

In her case, and it was this way with my last bike, she seems to only require a larger touring seat to be happy and a backrest of some sort. I think that's pretty common.

I've done a few other things such as add a tour pak, full size passenger floor boards, different windshields for my liking (I have three I rotate), but other than the seat/backrest requirement there's been nothing I had to do in order to get my wife to enjoy the ride.

We did a 3-day ride just two weeks ago, most of it wet unfortunately. She's definitely not a cross-country rider, but 3-day rides and under she's fine with a cushy seat and a backrest.

sixguns (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 06:13 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by trip20
When I told my wife about what I read she said, "I'm on a motorcycle I expect to feel the wind."
Some people LIKE that part of motorcycling!

Old 09-27-2016, 06:16 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Some people LIKE that part of motorcycling!
Very true!

What we were discussing though was the complaints I'd read of heads vibrating from buffeting and blurry vision that goes along with it. I don't think anyone would enjoy that part of motorcycling.

Quick Reply: Two up on Road Glides