Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corbin: Vinyl vs. Leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:38 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Corbin: Vinyl vs. Leather

Looking at ordering a Corbin Solo with backrest for my 15 Road King, and am debating between the leather seating area or vinyl. Most manufacturers use marine grade vinyl (Harley, Mustang, LePera, Ultimate), but Corbin uses leather as their standard. My question is for those with a Corbin how does it hold up over time (think years)? Does it fade, stretch, or peel?

I have never owned a leather seat on a motorcycle, but have owned and seen leather seats in cars (BMW, VW, domestic), and the leather seems to wear badly and look rough within a few years. Therefore I am leaning towards the vinyl.

For those who own or seen Corbin's vinyl, what is the Corbin vinyl like? Is it similar to Mustang's? How does it feel? It is soft or more plastic like?

Any additional info you can think of would be great.

I'm thinking of going with their softer foam and diamond stitching in black.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:46 PM
TURQ
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had 4 Corbin seats. I have one that's is 25 years old that is still an awesome seat. The leather is much cooler in hot weather. There are some wear areas on the very edge but not bad. My other seats have the natural wrinkles from body weight but all have worn very well.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:51 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
...... the leather seems to wear badly and look rough within a few years.
....... but, it won't come apart to the point of recovering in 5-7 yrs
..... that said, both my saddlemans are vinyl & quite comfortable

Old 09-27-2016, 10:07 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

my if you store the bike in a garage then go with the leather, if you leave the bike outside un-protected go with the vinyl

Old 09-28-2016, 04:46 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I have 2 Corbin saddles and both of them are all leather, even the side panels. I treat them twice a year (spring and fall) and don't do anything else to them. I don't cover either of them when it's raining.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:57 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

If you are only concerned about wear, the cover that will hold up the best, go with a high quality marine vinyl.

If on the other hand you value comfort, feel and appearance in the equation, go with leather. Not bonded leather, quality leather.

I have ridden on both and prefer real leather. Don't mind the extra maintenance. Cooler in the summer, the best! There is a reason Harley uses leather on there top of the line CVO seats.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I much prefer quality leather. More comfortable, looks, and wears better -- like a Harley.

Another note, I steer clear from designs with lots of stitching - leather or vinyl. Think flames and other patterns. Stitches make holes that lets water in, and it takes a looong time for foam to dry. My C&C seat is leather with no stitches in the seat area, only around the edge. I've never had a problem with water getting under the leather.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:35 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I have 2 Corbin saddles and both of them are all leather, even the side panels. I treat them twice a year (spring and fall) and don't do anything else to them. I don't cover either of them when it's raining.
What do you use to treat your Corbin seats?

Old 09-28-2016, 03:37 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JMC22
my if you store the bike in a garage then go with the leather, if you leave the bike outside un-protected go with the vinyl
In the evening it is in my garage, but obviously the days I ride it sits outside in the sun (to work, restaurants, etc).

Old 09-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
What do you use to treat your Corbin seats?
I have the leather now for about 10 years. The leather looks new, yes it is garaged. Showing wear only on the vinyl piping along the sides of the seat, but its been on for about 60k miles.
I treat mine with Bick 4 saddle conditioner I picked up at the local western/saddle store. Repels water and keeps it supple.

Last edited by Pumba11; 09-28-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Corbin: Vinyl vs. Leather