Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch replacement question.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Bookie
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Clutch replacement question.

I have a 2010 Ultra Classic. I think I may need to replace the clutch. One of the indicators I am seeing is a stuttering in first gear coming from a full stop to moving. However I will try to adjust the clutch first. However, my main question..

I have watched a few videos and in one of them, they removed the clutch damper spring. Does this spring need to be removed and replaced when you do a clutch job? Like I said.. One video showed a high performance clutch being installed and they never reinstalled the clutch damper spring...

Old 10-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

I would encourage you to first complete the clutch adjustment as shown in the HD service manual. How many miles on it? How does the clutch pull? Unless there are a lot of miles or a lot of extreme heat slow going use it's likely the adjustment. Cable lubrication I have found to be very helpful too. HD offers a synthetic cable lube that works well. Possibly even time for cable replace if to sticky.

Clutch damper spring reuse should be okay if you go that route. It's at the bottom of your friction plates. It should be removed with its damper spring seat to be cleaned and soaked in primary oil before reassembling.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Don't remove the damper spring. Removal will narrow the fiction zone on the clutch.. They can be removed if going to a +1 plate kit but without it, the shudder is even more likely.. If all you have is the shudder and no slip, you can remove the clutch and sand the steels with 80-120 sandpaper and reinstall.. You definitely want to try adjustment and maybe a different primary oil first..

Old 10-12-2016, 10:06 AM
Bookie
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all for the advice. I am going to the adjustment tonight and change the primary oil. The bike itself has 108K+ plus miles on it. I am not sure if is the original clutch or not since I bought it used with 95K on it.

I had to replace the compensator. I just want to be able to put as many miles on it for as long as possible.