Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Ultra Suspension Seems Funny

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 04:14 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

[QAre you talking about these mono tubes? What do you think installation would cost?

QUOTE=Neggy ZRXOA 5248;15595034]without the ability to set rebound and sag, you are left to what is available to put a shine on the turd that is Harley suspension.

You can change springs and oil viscosity hoping to get it right, or you can toss the Harley/SHOWA suspension in the scrap heap and UPGRADE to something that works for your riding style and weight.

My 03 has Progressive suspension front and rear and out handles my 13 any day of the week.

At some point I will upgrade the 13 but for now it is functional, but the minute it isn't it will get replaced with Ohlins, Progressive, or something else that works and had adjustment.

Harley uses crap for suspension components, and when you get some tire wear you really find out how bad it is.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-14-2016, 04:34 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I get an odd hum from the rear when doing higher speed rounded sweeping left corners. Not on right sweeps tho.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:22 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I second the progressives. I have 13.5 444 HDs and I'm very happy. I changed out the front fork fluid to heavy duty Moco fluid. It really has improved the ride. It now rides the way a touring bike should - plush but controlled.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:58 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I had the same hum. Mainly left turns. I found my rear tire badly cupped, replaced it with an Avon and it almost went completely away. Replaced my front with an Avon and it did go completely away.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Your bike is at a point where you should change-out the oil in the front forks. It's a fairly easy task as there is a drain screw located at the bottom of each fork. You will need to remove the switch and the plastic cover under the switch to access the cap nuts on the top of the fork legs. All of this is in the service manual.

Suggestion: Use a medium or heavy-weight oil in the front to help dampen the ups and downs and general vibrations. Yes, the HD suspension on older bikes (mine included) is really a poor excuse for suspension on such a premium priced bike. I absolutely hate air shocks, so I replaced my rears with Ohlins and went to a better oil in the front...so I am satisfied with the ride and handling. Until there is a worthy improvement for the front, I will keep it stock with the oil changed about every 20K miles. My preference for fork oil is Amsoil Shock Therapy - medium or heavy weight.

The following users liked this post:
TwoBlue02 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 08:43 AM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Joe - seems reasonable. Hope you made it through the storm ok. How does the beach look?

Old 10-16-2016, 04:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Until there is a worthy improvement for the front.....
Ohlins now have their FKC fork cartridges, well worth your consideration!

Old 10-16-2016, 06:24 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default When are we going to get a ride report from you?

Originally Posted by grbrown
Ohlins now have their FKC fork cartridges, well worth your consideration!
Graham, We, as in me, are waiting for a comment from you on your clamped top triple tree & FKC-101's. We do not wish you rush you British into anything! Just asking & wish you to have another adventure further than France.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:24 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Graham, We, as in me, are waiting for a comment from you on your clamped top triple tree & FKC-101's. We do not wish you rush you British into anything! Just asking & wish you to have another adventure further than France.
Hi Howard, a club we belong to is planning a trip to Poland next summer, which it would be great to go on, best part of 3k miles round trip. It's difficult at present to say if the bike will be fit in time!

Old 10-23-2016, 03:13 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Thumbs up Howard Sayz...

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hi Howard, a club we belong to is planning a trip to Poland next summer, which it would be great to go on, best part of 3k miles round trip. It's difficult at present to say if the bike will be fit in time!
I see, You English like to take your time to make sure tings are right. In retrospect the 100 year war was just a mere flash of time so I understand. I suppose that the stars must be properly aligned so your already completed forks can slide through the trees with no extraterrestrial interference. Please mark on your inner box 65mm of fork oil and not 80mm. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ultra Suspension Seems Funny