Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan operated oil cooler

Old 10-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Fan operated oil cooler

About a month ago I yanked off my Ultra cool Oil cooler.
I've had one of these for years! I had their first generation unit and years later I installed "The Refrigerator " by Ultra cool.

I have to say that they both always worked as advertised and I liked them.
My engine oil temps always stayed around 235 degrees with these thermostatically controlled units.

The later Ultra cool unit had 2 fans in it, a larger radiator, and also performed just as well keeping my temps stable at 235 ish.

Recently I developed an oil leak at the oil filter adaptor. I made a personal decision to go in and re torque all the adaptor screws but it was the oil adaptor gasket that was leaking.

The oil leak had been driving me batshit for a while so when tightening all the adaptor screws didn't work I decided to strip her back to stock and remove the adaptor and rid myself of all oil cooler parts all together to eliminate the potential for any more "oil" leaks or future issues. The Ultra Cool worked flawlessly I must say but I decided to remove it.

Today it was 82 degrees in Jerzey and my son and I rode hard as we usually do not babying anything and when I looked at my oil temp I was running high at 270 degrees with no oil cooler.

I really don't want to go back to hooking up oil coolers again and I'm thinking of Mr. Wards head/jug fans instead.

Has anyone used fan controlled oil coolers who are now running Wards Fans ?

If so, do you see your oil temps go down to "oil cooler levels" from cooling the jugs with the Wards fans?

I'd like NOT to have to go back to oil coolers but I need some cooling.

Thoughts?

Old 10-18-2016, 06:29 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,198 Likes on 11,126 Posts

My TriGlide used to get extremely hot. I now run both Wards FCS fans & Jagg 10 row oil cooler with fan.

With the Wards running, my bike never goes into EITMS.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:38 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I cool the source of the heat with Wards fans. In my opinion, it's easier, more effective and you aren't introducing the potential for leaks in a pressurized oil circuit.

No oil cooler on any of my Harleys.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:18 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you both Geezer and Madmax.
Do either of you know what temp your oil runs on average with the Fans or am I looking at this wrong trying to compare oil temps with head fans?

I guess what I'm asking is if I had Wards fans will I still see oil temps this high? (270 plus) ?

Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
Do either of you know what temp your oil runs on average with the Fans or am I looking at this wrong trying to compare oil temps with head fans?

I guess what I'm asking is if I had Wards fans will I still see oil temps this high? (270 plus) ?
I couldn't tell you what the oil temps, or even the head temps are. Having ridden a FLHP Shovelhead on the job I can tell you Harleys are way more durable than most folks give them credit for.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:47 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

About a month ago I yanked off my Ultra cool Oil cooler.
I've had one of these for years! I had their first generation unit and years later I installed "The Refrigerator " by Ultra cool.

I have to say that they both always worked as advertised and I liked them.
My engine oil temps always stayed around 235 degrees with these thermostatically controlled units.

The later Ultra cool unit had 2 fans in it, a larger radiator, and also performed just as well keeping my temps stable at 235 ish.

Recently I developed an oil leak at the oil filter adaptor. I made a personal decision to go in and re torque all the adaptor screws but it was the oil adaptor gasket that was leaking.

The oil leak had been driving me batshit for a while so when tightening all the adaptor screws didn't work I decided to strip her back to stock and remove the adaptor and rid myself of all oil cooler parts all together to eliminate the potential for any more "oil" leaks or future issues. The Ultra Cool worked flawlessly I must say but I decided to remove it.

Today it was 82 degrees in Jerzey and my son and I rode hard as we usually do not babying anything and when I looked at my oil temp I was running high at 270 degrees with no oil cooler.

I really don't want to go back to hooking up oil coolers again and I'm thinking of Mr. Wards head/jug fans instead.

Has anyone used fan controlled oil coolers who are now running Wards Fans ?

If so, do you see your oil temps go down to "oil cooler levels" from cooling the jugs with the Wards fans?

I'd like NOT to have to go back to oil coolers but I need some cooling.

Thoughts?
============================

BTW,Ultra cool just released a " revised gasket design ' to address the issue you had that made of much better more robust material (Viton) like is use on valve seals ,rear main seals etc.

That new gasket design should address the issue of the gasket failing like happened to you so give them a call and maybe they would send you the new upgraded gasket for free.

but your not going to be happy with your bike when you hit outside temp over 82 deg next riding season without the uc oil cooler.

Ok,moving on.

I installed an ultracool oil cooler with elec cooling fans along with wards fans at same times and have run tests with oil cooler covered and fans disabled on the oil cooler to test the wards cooling fans effectiveness cooling the engine oil they werent designed to cool in the 1st place.

What i found was wards fans do a good job of cooling heads and upper cyls
but only reduced overall oil temp approx 5-deg f on my bike and thats it.

And also keep in mind wards fans have documented test data showing they reduce head temp up to 100deg which is a good thing & why i installed them with the uc oil cooler.

But when it comes to cooling the motor oil the uc oil cooler with twin thermostatically controlled elec cooling fans is very effective at cooling the motor oil because it reduced oil temp on my HD 50 deg f in summer cond.

Reducing oil temp on my bike 50deg f resulted in multiple improvements in engine perf & overall rider comfort right off the bat which i wont get onto here.

Another + is its the oils job to also remove heat from the motor so when oil temp is reduced 50deg f engine temp is also significantly reduced @ the same time too.

Bottom line is the only way your going to sig reduce get your HD's oil temp that running 270+deg f in only 82 deg f outside temp is to reinstall the uc oil cooler,end of story.(Wards fans alone can't do that & arent designed to reduce oil temp 50deg f in summer heat so cant be expected to do so.)

Bet your oil pressure at idle with oil temp @ 270deg f was significantly lower then when you had the uc oil cooler keeping oil temp at 220-230deg f not to mention other issues that come along with higher engine temp in 270deg f or higher range too.

So since your bikes motor oil runs 270+ deg f in only 82 deg f outside temp i'd bet in 90-95+ deg outside temp you bikes motor oil would easily hit 290+deg f which is just not good when you know the uc cooler keeps your bike oil temp at max of 230deg f in summer heat cond.

Lastly more then a few guys here in hdforum wont admit & or maybe dont realize their lrg disp air cooled hd motors are suffering big time in summer temp cond with significantly reduced engine perf along with other negative issues with it comes to rider comfort too i wont get into here.

Get the new revised gasket/oil seal & ,reinstall the UC oil cooler this winter when you have the time and then you will be ready for any temp cond you ride in in up coming 2017 riding season.

Good luck.

Scott

Old 10-19-2016, 12:31 AM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I cool the source of the heat with Wards fans. In my opinion, it's easier, more effective and you aren't introducing the potential for leaks in a pressurized oil circuit.

No oil cooler on any of my Harleys.
=======================================

No disrespect intended but am wondering if you actually took the time /effort/money to install & test wards twin cooling fans against uc oil cooler with twin cooling fans (or any oil cooler with cooling fan/s) to see which is more effective when you said you thought wards would be more effective?

I ask that because in cases like this " opinion " isnt very useful esp when its off base & could maybe lead some people reading this in the wrong direction making them think wards fans cool the motor & oil just as well as an oil cooler with elec cooling can which isnt always the case & here's why i say that.

I in fact did install both wards fans & a uc oil cooler with cooling fans on my HD so do know from 1st hand experience owning and testing them that they are both very good at doing the " 2 diff jobs they are designed to do " which is a key point.

The Wards fans are designed to reduce heat in heads and upped cyls which they proved they did reducing heat temp up to 100deg f which was shown in beta tests that are posted on their website making them a worth while investment IMHO.

Wards fans alone on my bike only reduced oil temp approx 5 deg f in simmer heat cond & thats it.

I am confident wards fans also reduced head temp approx 100deg on my HD which is good & what they were designed to do in the 1st place which is why i installed them on my HD.

The Uc oil cooler i installed on my bike reduced oil temp 50deg f in summer heat cond which was great as it was designed to do in the 1st place.

And remember it's also the oils job to remove heat from an air cooled v-twin motorcycle motor too so when oil temp is reduced 50deg f engine temp is also significantly reduced at the same time too.

Thats not just my opinon,i go by facts & or results and those are the facts & 1st hand results i got testing those 2 cooling mods when i installed them on my HD/09 FLHTCU with stock motor.

Thats why i wanted to get that info out so someone wouldnt install wards fans expecting them to do miricles in reducing oil & engine temp when they were not designed to do both tasks in the place and would possibly be disappointed with the result.

Bottom line is installing both wards cooling fans along with an UC oil cooler that has thermostatically controlled elec cooling fans both at the same time working collectively together as a great max effort cooling team.

And i know thats truly the case from my 1st hand experience testing and running both of those cooling mods for 2+yrs thus far with great results from both units @ all times.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 10-19-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:48 AM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I couldn't tell you what the oil temps, or even the head temps are. Having ridden a FLHP Shovelhead on the job I can tell you Harleys are way more durable than most folks give them credit for.
===================

Very true but the the fact remians there are many benefits when reducing oil/engine on a lrg disp air cooled hd v-twin like when reducing oil temp in summer heat by 50deg f like i did on my hd post installing wards fasn and an un oil cooler with elec cooling fans.

* STOPPED DETONATION

* INCREASED OIL PRESSURE 10-12PSI @ IDLE & CRUISE TOO

* STOPPED VALVETRAIN/LIFTER NOISE

* MOTOR NOW RETAINS THE PWR/TRQ & CRISP THROTTLE RESPONSE IT USED TO LOOSE PRIOR TO INSTALLING THE 2 COOLING MODS REDUCING OIL TEMP 50DEG F IN SUMMER HEAT.

* HOT STARTS LIKE POST FUELING UP ARE FASTER & EASIER DUE TO STARTER/BATTERY/MOTOR BEING LESS HEAT SOAKED.

* OVERALL RIDER COMFORT IS IMPROVED DUE TO LESS HEAT HITTING RIDER

If all those great improvements in engine perf & overall rider comfort arent enough evidence lrg disp hd v-twins can benefit a lot from cooling then what i can i say other then something like:

" YOU CAN LEAD A THIRSTY HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CAN'T MAKE IT DRINK " /LOL!

HAPPY MOTORING!

SCOTT

Old 10-19-2016, 12:56 AM
wscott
Road Warrior

================================================

With wards cooling fans you should see approx 260-265deg oil temp vs the 270deg f without any cooling in same approx riding cond & outside temp.

Wards fans cant do the same to reduce oil temp as your oil cooler did with twin cooling fans did on your bike because they/wards fans were never designed to do so in the 1st place.

And also because there isnt enough oil flow/oil capacity to be cooled in the heads at any 1 time too.

I know this is the case because i tested it on my bike,see my post to you in your thread.

Scott

Old 10-19-2016, 05:48 AM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 06 Electra Glide that had the UC installed on it when I got it. What do you guys think about covering it in the winter months. I ride with the Guardians Of The Children ans we ride all year round. And I am in Pa. and it get pretty cold here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fan operated oil cooler