Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New from San Diego ...1 inch lowering SG

Old 10-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Mikeesglide
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just jumped on here yesterday. Loads of information and helpful advice on this forum. You people are the best when it comes to forums and helping each other out. I just put new apes on my 08 Glide , after dropping close to a $1000.00 for parts and labor ( in SD that's a good deal) I started to notice a rattling coming from my what sound like my exhaust rattling, that rattle was driving me nuts..only at idle. My mechanic took about 5 seconds to look at it and tell me the baffle was busted loose inside. So I found some KO brand slip ons at Matuza.com, they're also listed on eBay. After looking at some DNA megaphones from a company back east I decided to call Gina @ Matuza dayummgina in regards to the megaphones they had listed. Not branded at priced at $177.00 out the door I was very sceptile. After a few phone calls I decided for the money I would take a chance on dayummgina @Matuza. Excellent customer service , got the pipes in less than 48 hours and had them on in 30 minutes. Pipes absolutely kill it !!! 2 Partners at work already ordered a set. Love setting off my coworkers car alarms haha..L.E.Os we have a thick skin. So my question here us I have a lowering kit that's been sitting in my garage for a month. Was wanting to drop the rear just the 1 inch. I'm getting mixed comments from a couple of buddies so does anyone in here have any feedback. Much appreciated from SD, CA

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-26-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Rocket Rider
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome aboard! Just realize that when you lower your bike, the lean angle will be reduced. If you love to take curves aggressively you might find yourself scraping the floorboards, pegs, etc. All depends on your riding style. I ended up raising my bike 1" over stock to increase the lean angle because I was tired of scraping.

The following users liked this post:
Mikeesglide (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Mikeesglide
Stage III

Thanks for info , would you consider the lean to be the only negative.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Rocket Rider
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeesglide
Thanks for info , would you consider the lean to be the only negative.
Yes, for me it would be the only negative, but only if it causes you to scrape. It looks cool at night when you leave trails of sparks, but it can be very unnerving if you're not expecting it!

Old 10-22-2016, 11:43 AM
jkiser
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The ride will also be affected if you lower the bike. I had a friend that added a lowering kit and the bike was very stiff. He hated it and took it off.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. You'll find there are mixed feelings about lowering a bike. I'm in the stock ride height camp myself and value cornering clearance and comfort over a lowered ride height. Also if you take Mrs M along too you'll soon discover that she suffers discomfort back there unless things are 'just so'!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:26 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

There's mixed reviews about lowering blocks. Many are cheap junk, and a few companies making "good" ones like LA Choppers and Pingle, but some have reported clearance issues with their saddlebag. Replacement shocks are generally considered the way to go, but which one to choose varies widely. Top of the line Ohlins set up by Howard at Motorcycle Metal for you personally are in the $7-800 range. Progressive makes several different ones for touring Harleys that cost less but aren't satisfactory for some people. I myself bought a used stock set off eBay for $20 and had them shipped to Bitchin Baggers. They will rework stock air shocks and lower them anywhere from 3/4 to 2 1/2 inches in half inch increments, rebuild them with new seals and such, and ship them to you for $175. I'm awaiting delivery of mine as we speak, so I can't tell you yet how they ride, but all my research says they ride better than FLHX shocks of the same height, my guess is that the spring rates in the 12 and 13 inch shocks are different. I'll do a write up after a few hundred miles with my findings. Good luck whichever way you go.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Mikeesglide
Stage III
Default Thanks All

Thbanks for all the input , sounds like from your all's experience lowering kit is not the way to go. I did get the kit from L.A. Choppers , supposed to be decent I guess if I do lower it's easy enough and cheap enough to take it off and toss it out. I appreciate the responses.
Any of you ever hit San Diego hit me up , year long riding weather here.