Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind deflector for ultra

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:49 PM
rrosc
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind deflector for ultra

Just bought a `13 ultra limited and am surprised at how much wind I get under fairing. Did not notice it in warmer weather, but a cool 60 degree evening got pretty damn cold. I traded in my `03 heritage, and when I put a fork deflector on it, it helped a lot. There has to be some way to deflect that cold air, hoping to ride a lot this winter. I can`t seem to find anything under parts, am I missing something?

Old 10-23-2016, 10:56 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 848 Likes on 412 Posts

Get the chrome fork lowers to stop the under fairing buffeting. Use the soft engine guard lowers when it's really cold (or wet).

Old 10-24-2016, 12:19 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,590 Posts

No matter what you add to your bike to deflect wind you're still going to have a certain amount that you can't stop.

I use the chrome fork lowers on my Ultra as well as the fork air baffle.
It definitely reduces the direct air flow.

I also use hand wind deflectors.

It's that time of year so if you're planning on getting in as many riding days as possible, I'd recommend a full face (modular) helmet.

I have heated grips, heated seat, heated gloves and a heated jacket liner and a leather "dickey" to protect my neck.

All of the above in addition to leather jacket and leather pants.

I'm planning on riding this coming Friday and after that, the bike gets washed, a fuel treatment and up on the lift it goes until spring.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. This is a popular subject, so use Search for 'wind deflector' for some background reading. There are various options available, which you may find helpful.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:06 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I was at the dealer a couple weeks ago and asked the parts counter about the chrome lowers for my 2012 Ultra. They looked it up and said they didn't fit the ultra with the lowers. I'm assuming they hit the lowers when turning sharply.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:41 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Old 10-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Handyman163
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the same thing when I bought my electra glide. The chrome fork lowers made a HUGE difference - truly a must have, and I leave them on year-round. I still feel like it could be better. I've ridden a road king with standard windshield and those are just dead-still...I mean NO WIND at all coming around that windshield - not sure how that's possible. The batwing fairing does do a better job blocking wind from your arms and hands, but the problem is all the wind coming up from underneath.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:14 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 260 Likes on 222 Posts

One thing that helps is putting legs next to tank it stops alot. Not sure if that year came with fairing deflectors, they make a big difference. I have that, soft lowers , fork deflector(center), fork fangs(which mentioned won't fit with ultra lowers, but maybe after market will) and the other big difference is the windsplitter windshield from harley. The splitter is wider that makes the most difference but it's curved up, so u don't have to go as tall and it looks better.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:31 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I started using the chrome lower fork deflectors years ago on my '92 Heritage and have since out them on three Heritage's, two RK's and two Ultras, so I am a believer.

I've always maintained that on a Heritage the difference in wind between a bike with or without these deflectors is similar to placing your left arm across your chest while riding.

Quite a difference, and I also like the way they look.

I don't think that they are as effective on an Ultra as they are on the Heritage or RK but I still choose to use them.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:42 PM
richbud2016 Altra
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2016 with the same trouble. Mostly with buffeting of my head. Will the lower wing help with that? And with a windsplitter 9 in make the difference? I only have 4k on bike and i can not ride at 75mph I loose vision at that point. Need help here big time.

Quick Reply: Wind deflector for ultra