Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Impression

Old 11-14-2016, 03:58 PM
JWP07
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Road King Impression

OK - I get this is all based on pure perception with little hard data to back it up however - seeing as how I am thinking about trading in my Heritage for a touring model sometime next year - I have noticed something that may mean absolutely nothing but I thought I would get some opinions ....

When searching the dealers in Wisconsin for pre-owned bikes - I generally see more RGs/SGs than I do RKs up for sale. I have been looking for the past 3 months or so so not a whole lot of time to draw any conclusions but it is fairly consistent so far.

Now I know that this may completely wrong and I also know that if this is accurate - it could simply mean riders of the RGs/SGs are trading up for more substantial bikes. Or it could mean - RK riders are more content with their rides.

Not meaning to start an argument as I know there is a ton of passion around why we ride the bikes we ride - just wanted to get some personal insight from the touring group on what I am seeing in the pre-owned market.

Thanks all!

Old 11-14-2016, 04:13 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

More RG/SG are sold than Kings, and Road King owners are more secure in their choice of bike. More sold means more for sale and King owners are Die Hards.

The following users liked this post:
RiverB (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
More RG/SG are sold than Kings, and Road King owners are more secure in their choice of bike. More sold means more for sale and King owners are Die Hards.
Right, plus, whats a more substantial bike than a Road Glide? They arent making Boss Hogs any more.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't want a fairing.

I'm delighted with my Road King. I love looking out from the saddle and seeing that big RK headlight.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:39 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by JWP07
RK riders are more content with their rides.
I'm certainly content. Versatility was also a factor in deciding. Take the windshield off and it's a fine cruiser. Add a detachable TP, fairing, and lowers and the King makes for a great fully dressed tourer. I ride a different bike with any combination of those pieces and that big shiny nacelle looks pretty good too.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:45 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

The word going around is that studs ride Road Kings.
And, until the MoCo makes Aces, The 'King is the top of the line!

Old 11-14-2016, 04:54 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

FWIW, I traded in a Heritage for a RK, and haven't looked back since.
Completely delighted....of course, YMMV

GL which ever way you go.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

I am on my 3rd Road King in 10 years ...Kings Rule ..

Old 11-14-2016, 05:05 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm another vote for "no fairing"... Road Kings also change very little over the model history, while RG/SG seem to get more feature updates...considering they have more bells and whistles to mess with in the first place. Also fairing guys seem to be drawn to switch or experiment with the shark nose vs batwing from time to time whereas RKs are just simple bikes as they've always been.

I also see more RG/SG owners being the type that trade in on more of a regular schedule almost like car owners. For some its a high mileage thing, but for others it feels more like a generic vehicle clock in their head...3 - 5 years...time for a new bike...I don't see that with Dyna, Softail, Sporty or RK owners. Those bikes tend to engender some kind of ownership bond it seems. Maybe the extra body work makes it feel more like an appliance? No insult to RG/SG. Great bikes and I know guys love them, but they do seem to trade in more frequently, often for another RG or SG.

Last edited by Thingfish; 11-14-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:10 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

All of the above pretty much sums it up, for me at least. I have an FLSTN and an SERK. I prefer to ride the "King". They call it the King , I believe , because,in my opinion, it is. I hope that you will feel the same way after you ride one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road King Impression