Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you have removed your highway bars? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by bigheadted
You all carry an extra spring right ??
Good grief no! I've never had one break in over 40 years of riding Harleys, even longer with other brands. I've commented on HDF before that if I carried everything members suggest we take, 'just in case', there would be no space for luggage! The latest is a battery booster FFS.....

Old 12-07-2016, 12:17 PM
2WHEELFREAK
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the pics fella's!

Now, how much of a pain in the *** is it to install the Hell's or Yaffe brace? Also, what are you running through the hole in the blinkers where the crash bar passed through, at least for the newer RG's. Mine is a '16. Couldn't tell from the pics you've posted.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:51 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

I like the look without the crash bar but on a bagger I wouldn't really notice it was gone unless I really looked hard at it. Seems to fit to me and it blends in better on a bagger. Now on a softail or wideglide I can see taking it off to streamline the bike. If guy wants to run his bagger without one that's fine with me and I bet the guy really doesn't give a crap what I think about it. I wouldn't.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:18 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WHEELFREAK
Thanks for the pics fella's!

Now, how much of a pain in the *** is it to install the Hell's or Yaffe brace? Also, what are you running through the hole in the blinkers where the crash bar passed through, at least for the newer RG's. Mine is a '16. Couldn't tell from the pics you've posted.
They're going to use the brace that bolts to the blinker through the fairing, which also attached to the crash bar. At least that was the case with the Linby for me. Not sure about the 2016's. Check their websites out and it should be clear there, one would think.

The job for me was very simple, I can't imagine, if you have tools and are somewhat skilled mechanically, that it would be too much of a challenge.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:18 PM
2WHEELFREAK
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
They're going to use the brace that bolts to the blinker through the fairing, which also attached to the crash bar. At least that was the case with the Linby for me. Not sure about the 2016's. Check their websites out and it should be clear there, one would think.

The job for me was very simple, I can't imagine, if you have tools and are somewhat skilled mechanically, that it would be too much of a challenge.

Thanks. Will look at it harder when I get home tonight. I'm perfectly equipped to handle the job, just wanted to hear from someone who has completed the job already. I tried to download the install instructions from the Yaffe site and it was a no-go.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:32 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WHEELFREAK
Thanks. Will look at it harder when I get home tonight. I'm perfectly equipped to handle the job, just wanted to hear from someone who has completed the job already. I tried to download the install instructions from the Yaffe site and it was a no-go.
When I received my Yaffe brace it didn't come with instructions. I had a shop install it since the front end suspension was getting upgraded so the fairing had found removed anyways

Old 12-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up On guard!

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
The day you drop it will be the day you wish you had engine guards.

True dat. Must have laid my old '91 Electra Glide over 4 or 5 times; once at a stop sign. Mostly it just rolled a bit and fell off the stand. Sure was glad to have those guards on as never any damage and could pick it up by myself.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Slick one?

Originally Posted by Rip53
The puddle was in a low spot, standing water after a wet spell. Had some green slime on the bottom, slicker than snot. Haven't looked at a puddle the same since. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. I'll keep my mouth shut.

Don't feel bad. Did the same thing after getting a new rear tire on a Yamaha Virago 1000 years ago. Turned out of the alley onto the street in El Cajon Ca and spun right down. Kept my right hand on the grip so kind of danced the bike around in a half circle. Kevlar jeans, leather jacket and a helmet saved me from any damage as my knee, elbow and head contacted the street. Crash guards saved the bike from any damage as a small crowd looked on in amazement. Mechanic had evened warned me to watch out for the slick preservative on the new tire.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Second Wind
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Easy install on Hells Foundry, most time consuming part was having to remove and reinstall front fairing.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:47 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Wasn't speaking Greek. I feel bad seeing a damaged bike. I mean, I hope the rider is ok too but mainly I care more for the bike...

Apparently you care more for your bags than your tank. You're like half-in half-out on guards. It's cool. I'm not going to try and figure it/you out so I can't comment more on that.
i blacked the guards out and kept them on.... but the only reason i kept them is that my extra little bags attach to them when i tour...otherwise they would be gone...also..... and its a bike....not a puppy....i kept the crash bars on the puppy

Quick Reply: How many of you have removed your highway bars? Pics