Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jims 131 charging problems

Old 12-07-2016, 01:08 PM
dasean hicks
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jims 131 charging problems

Hi I have a Jim's 131 that keeps on having a charging problem every thousand miles I have to change my voltage regulator and or my stator I was wondering if I buy a bigger charging system would that help. Is the heat from the motor burning it out .i dont have no music but two 6.5 in the front. Help tired of buying stators

Old 12-07-2016, 01:46 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

how are the stators failing?

are they shorting out- where the heat burns through the insulation on the coiled wires, or are they suffering physical damage- like being whacked by the magnets ( which can happen if you use an impact on the compensator sprocket.
what is the measured AC voltage output of the stator per 1000 rpms? should be about 16 to 20 ish

how is the VR failing?

it is a simple device- with a diode bridge it converts AC to DC- the diodes also keep power from draining back to ground when the bike is parked.
and it limits voltage to under 14.8 to the battery.

what are you measuring when you see problems?

are you running a stock type primary drive and clutch?

mike

*** the rotors have been marked for many years to avoid sharp blows, similar warning is in most editions of the service manual- that means NO impact wrenches on the comp sprocket bolt- or you'll be back in there again soon

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-07-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:48 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. Start by checking your charging system, to identify the culprit! You may be chasing a problem round in circles. There are two Stickies in the Tech Electrical section on doing that. You will need a multimeter. The problem you are suffering from has nothing to do with your engine IMHO, there are plenty of big engines out there, plus tuned ones with very high power outputs.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:51 PM
dasean hicks
4th Gear
Default Jims 131

The stator Is burning out .and the vr went out last month i bought a new one and got a good month b4 the stator went out behind it

Old 12-07-2016, 02:34 PM
dasean hicks
4th Gear
Default Jims 131

If i but a higher charging system would it b better or last longer

Old 12-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Maybe try replacing both at the same time. If 1 goes out it can take the other with it.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:30 PM
dasean hicks
4th Gear
Default Jims 131

Jims are a**holes im by them im in lancaster ca this bike gets hot like 270 degrees with one hour of ride with a fueling oil cooler . I seen a higher output system on cycle electric.com im thinking about buying

Old 12-07-2016, 06:34 PM
dasean hicks
4th Gear

Thx for alk the help u guys been a great help glad i signed up

Old 12-08-2016, 05:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I'm sure that other Harleys have similar or worst heat problems than your bike and don't give charging problems. Heat affects us delicate humans more than the hardware! I live close to an auto industry testing track and have friends who work there. The hell they put vehicles through to confirm they meet the many specs that apply are just breath-taking. Makes riding on the street, even in a desert, seem like a stroll in the park!

Whatever you replace this time, check your charging system over. It would be best to do that as per the FSM, if necessary by a local indy. There may be some electrical gremlin lurking, causing your problems. Your experience is exceptional, not by any means common.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:40 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

as GR says-service manual checks- otherwise you are not "fixin'", you are "parts replacin' "

I posted some time ago on a neighbor who had spent $1300 at the dealer, couple of stators, VR's 3 batteries.

He came to me as once again his charging system was dead and he knew I had bikes.

less than 10 minutes found a bad battery cable on his negative which would either provide some contact, no contact or contact with high resistance- which burned out his stators.

He had the "blowed up" removed parts from the dealer repairs- the 2 VR's removed tested as good= the shop removed them as a "guess"...hey no problem they make money on those guesses.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-08-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jims 131 charging problems