Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a good low-rise wind deflector:

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts
Default Need a good low-rise wind deflector:

Sorry, tried the search.

Just got a new Ultra, and it's my first bike with a fairing. The stock windshield, cuts off right at eye level for me. This is a major PITA.

I need a low rise wind deflector that will not block my view, but just at important, deflects the wind at highway speed to keep the Old-lady's head from bobbing around in the vortex... If she's getting blasted, she won't want to go ride. The tall windscreen blocks the wind, but also screws up my vision.

Do any of those low-rise ones really work with the wind?

Old 12-08-2016, 10:55 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,185 Likes on 2,453 Posts

take a look at long ride shields. they have sales pretty often. if you get a shield with a recurve, you can get the protection of a larger shield in a lower profile.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:16 AM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Klock werks sport flare is a great shield i just sold my batwing and was so happy with the K/W i got the sport flare for my roadglide as well.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:31 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

many of us cut our windscreens to size- and if swapping seats, swap windscreens.

I have preferred a std ( no recurve) windscreen as I can tuck into it in driving rain and look through it, no tint.

not sure on the rushmore fairing, but the 96~13 fairing used 3 screws to hold the windscreen, the bottom, hidden edge is easily cut wit a dremel, rotozip or jigsaw, cut the keyholes a little wide.
a top edge cut is possible , but needs to be finished.

for me, loosen 3 screws and the windscreen lifts up, slide the replacement in, tighten screws- quicker than I can type!

for me- the top edge of the windscreen appears to intersect the road about 40' in front of the bike- so I look over it.
the wind blast hits me where my hairline used to be, most of the bugs and grit sail over. I can wear a ballcap at hwy speeds if I want.

the H-D lexan is optically good and tough- mine has taken an apple sized rock at 65 mph and stayed intact, just a doink in it. saved my face

I do have some used LRS ( long ride- forum sponsors, they give deals) shields coming from forum member which I will be testing out and see if I have been missing anything.... but my 3 windscreens cut to various heights ( to match my 3 different seats ) cost me less than $60 and 10 minutes each to measure and cut.

with many things Harley- there is an expensive way and a cheep way- I am cheep ( and that's why I have multiple bikes- I didn;t sink all my money into chromey gee gaws).
Experience can guide where to spend, where you can save.
One of the best approaches is tracking which parts interchange from model to model

the forums classifieds are another good source of fair deals- but check out the seller by his other posts.
there are a couple of sellers who ONLY use the forums to sell, they never contribute- they may also have same parts posted on ebay or other classifieds.
we like the Guys who are just moving clutter from the garage.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-08-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've reworked the windshield on my older bike, by reshaping the top edge. Conventional wisdom is that the top of the shield should be at nose level. As Mike points out we can either look over it, while riding normally, or duck a little to get out of the rain. That has worked for me, riding behind a wide variety of shields for almost 50 years!

As a first time rider behind a shield you will have to persevere for a while, to get used to the change in experience. Also remember to use ear plugs while riding - but you already know that.....

Last edited by grbrown; 12-09-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:02 PM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 222 Likes on 162 Posts

I'll also mention Long Ride Shields. Their advice for deciding on a windshield size was pretty spot on and while I've not ridden much with my newest shield, it does seem to be just right.

I've also got a Clear View Shields brand one that I like, but I ended up buying it a little too short. I'll keep it and maybe use it for solo riding.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:04 PM
RWTDCT
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts

Another one to look at.

http://wind-vest.com/index.php

Old 12-08-2016, 12:44 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I have 2 long ride shields..... very happy with both.

one is clear, one is dark.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:54 PM
treefiddy
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Right here:

http://www.longrideshields.com/category_s/1850.htm

I like the recurve myself and can see over my 9" (6'1"). Looks like you have a 17 so this should be the right link. Awesome pricing right now too it looks like.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Need a good low-rise wind deflector: