Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want more power

Old 12-08-2016, 03:14 PM
hdng
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Want more power

What CA I do to add ponies to my 95/88
I have changed pipes, headers, jugs ,air filter slight cam but I would really like to get more performance out of my 88. With 95 jugs. Any suggestions .

Old 12-08-2016, 03:19 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

If you want better performance, try one of these:

Spending $$$ to make a Harley something it's not is like those a$$hats who put coffee-can mufflers and a spoiler on their Civic. JMHO.

Last edited by shorelasHD; 12-08-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo!
The following 2 users liked this post by shorelasHD:
FattyMcJ (12-08-2016), sabunimwil@gmail.com (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 03:21 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Talk to a tuning shop about making further improvements, such as porting your heads, higher CR and a different cam. We have HDF sponsors who will be happy to help I'm sure, with proven tuning packages.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:24 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 144 Likes on 105 Posts

Maybe a new S&S mill?

Old 12-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,356 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by harkon
Maybe a new S&S mill?
Yeah, I'd have to think that once you're at 95, (presuming thus that heads are ported, cams, etc), you'd have to go bigger, drop in replacement is the way to go.

It becomes an interesting cost calculation, what with what we're seeing with M8+cams+2-1, I know its more money to go that way, but you also are making a 2 generation leap in terms of handling, creature comforts etc.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:50 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hdng
What CA I do to add ponies to my 95/88
I have changed pipes, headers, jugs ,air filter slight cam but I would really like to get more performance out of my 88. With 95 jugs. Any suggestions .
=============================

Well unless your looking a whopping increase in power but maybe like an additional 20-25HP (maybe even 28- 30hp if your lucky) & 20-25ft lbs trq (maybe 27-28ft lbs + trq) that could get by doing following:

* If you have considerable miles on the motor (esp top end) at the very least pull the jugs to have current pistons & jugs measured to ensure they are still within service spec.

If they pass spec have the pistons cleaned and new rings installed along with jugs ball honed too.

If jugs dont pass spec have them bored to next oversize if there's enough meat leaf to do so along with proper size oversize pistons avail too.

* Have the stock original heads ported along with doing a valve lob to freshen them,maybe larger installed if poss too.

Or maybe it would easier/more cost effective too install replacement perf heads that are already ported with larger valves ,thats up to you or the builder.

* If still running stock compression (9.0-9.5) could maybe increase compression to 10.0-10.5 compression while your at it.

* Install a considerably hotter cam with more dur & lift that matches co mpression ,bikes wt & your riding style too.

But not so much cam (duration!) it kills lower rpm engine perf & or overall driveability.

* Install a tuner & have it properly dialed in timing & fuel calibration wise for best pwr/trq & overall performance.

BTW, I am not sure of your bike's age/yr so dont know if it has a carb or EFI but either way ensure which ever you have is also optimised/properly dialed in for best perf too

* If in the budget could even swap out current mufflers (maybe even front head pipes too) if there is another ex system avail for your bike that's got a proven performance gain over the current ex system on your bike.

Could call Scott @ Hillside Cycle & Machine,see below for contact info.

Let us know what you decide to so.

Good Luck.

Scott (BTW,i am not the Scott From Hillside cycle)

====================================

HILLSIDE MOTORCYCLE & MACHINE, INC.
Harley-Davidson Speed & Service Center
Munnsville, NY
M-F, 8-5, 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
"Repairing broken torque curves for 30 years."

Old 12-08-2016, 06:26 PM
94 ultra
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
If you want better performance, try one of these:

Spending $$$ to make a Harley something it's not is like those a$$hats who put coffee-can mufflers and a spoiler on their Civic. JMHO.
You'll poke your eye out with that !

Old 12-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,174 Likes on 1,955 Posts

The only answer to "How fast can I make it" is "How much money you got?".

Last edited by Goose_NC; 12-09-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

For the best results ask your performance questions here.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...cal-topics-46/

Old 12-09-2016, 08:40 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Mr. Brown has given you solid advice, OP. Call Hillside or Fuelmoto and ask the guys than will give you empirical data having squeezed as many ponies out of a 88 ci motor literally thousand of times.

Based on what you stated you've already done to your motor, looks to me like there's a few more steps that you could take without spending an inordinate amount of money. Especially if you can do the work yourself. But these sponsors on here that make doing what you want to do their profession can advise you comprehensively.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want more power