Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wish me luck..... 11 Seconds Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

You are getting there! You are lucky to have a track so close by.

Maybe this can help, I'm not saying you don't know how to launch because obviously you've been doing this. But I was taught the way to get a consistent launch is like this:
Front brake on hard
Clutch about halfway engaged
Throttle up to 3/4 of redline RPMs
Time to go: Twist throttle and feather clutch keeping RPMs about the same until clutch is all the way out.
It sounds like clutch abuse but clutches are tough.

Good luck, stay out of the water and don't overheat your tire...

Last edited by Joe12RK; 01-30-2017 at 01:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C.H.L. (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:34 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

OP-
Here is what is waiting for you (as well as a signed certificate, and added to the S&S site for the Club).

Difficult for a daily driven street Harley-

VERY DIFFICULT-

EXTREMELY DIFFICULT (9 MEMBERS WORLDWIDE)

Rip that sucker into the 11's!!!

C.H.L. (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:33 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

Great thread. I'm betting you will hit that 11 second mark before long. Years ago when I used to do some bracket racing on street tires ( cars and bikes) I learned to not do big burn outs. Too much heat on harder compound street tires makes them greasy. I would think it would be the same on the average bike tire as well, unless they are a soft compound. I just spun the tires enough to clean them off and staged. On the bike I did the same as Joe12Rk mentioned slipping the clutch on launch. It worked for me. Those days were a blast.

C.H.L. (01-31-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 11:19 AM
sr230mike
Road Captain
Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts

Any news? Last Friday?

Old 02-06-2017, 07:51 AM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nah,

Felt a little bit of a sore throat Friday so I didn't go. And the shift light that came in was the wrong one- it was for a Honda.

This Friday we are going to see some MMA cage fights, so it might be a few weeks before I get to try again.

But I'm gonna make it!

Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by teeroy_
I think the optimal shift point is just a few hundred rpm beyond your max hp, depending on your rpm drop between gears. have a look at your dyno sheet, it will give you a good idea where you should be grabbing gears. might have to bump your rev limiter up a bit if it's set at 6K. would be pretty cool for a bike with apes to break into the 11's, get er done man!
I agree here, look at ur dyno, shift at your peaks, keep her in the peak, good luck, and the track looked wet in the vid

C.H.L. (02-08-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 09:07 PM
R.Canales
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
I'd invest in a good Tach over a shift light. You can still use the Tach after your done playing but I agree the shift light will help to make you more consistent. After that it comes down to learning how to cut a good light as that's where most races are won or lost.

No need to cut a good light. The OP's main objective here is to claim an 11 sec. time slip. He could care less about who is in the opposite lane. The clock does not start when the light turns green, it starts when he trips the light beam. But you are right, the OP could benefit from a good tach and light. I would also mess with tire pressure and weight.
Maybe buy an extra rear wheel with a race tire on it and just swap it out for track night. I am almost positive a sticky race tire with low pressure will get you down into the 11's. Just my $.02

Keep at it OP! you will get it.

Last edited by R.Canales; 02-07-2017 at 09:11 PM.
C.H.L. (02-08-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 PM
sr230mike
Road Captain
Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts

Any update?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:47 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Canales
No need to cut a good light. The OP's main objective here is to claim an 11 sec. time slip. He could care less about who is in the opposite lane. The clock does not start when the light turns green, it starts when he trips the light beam. But you are right, the OP could benefit from a good tach and light. I would also mess with tire pressure and weight.
Maybe buy an extra rear wheel with a race tire on it and just swap it out for track night. I am almost positive a sticky race tire with low pressure will get you down into the 11's. Just my $.02

Keep at it OP! you will get it.
My thoughts too!!!! But if you do go with a race slick, start with higher air pressure and work your way down. When it hooks up, you may be looking at the sky if you use your normal launch rpms and clutch engagement. ........Don't ask me how I know!!!!

Old 02-27-2017, 10:55 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Tagged! Go, OP! We're rooting for you!

Quick Reply: Wish me luck..... 11 Seconds Club