Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's over 70 and still ride an Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:56 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 666 Posts

I'll be 70 later this year. Been riding for over 50 years and don't plan on quitting any time soon. Currently riding a '16 RGU. I also avoid the gravel parking spots and places where I might have to push the bike on soft ground. I will be adding a sidecar to it before long, since the knees and other parts just ain't what they used to be. Won't be my first sidecar rig.

I still expect to do plenty of long trips and like the comfort and convenience of a touring bike. I have little interest in downsizing to a smaller bike. Having the stability of a sidecar makes it much easier to make those photo-op stops on the scenic but often narrow back roads roads that I prefer.

I test rode an HD trike, didn't like it. To me, it didn't feel like riding a motorcycle. A sidecar rig handles and steers way different than being on two wheels, but to me, it still feels more like riding a motorcycle than a trike does. And I can always take the sidecar off if I really want to go back to two wheels.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:15 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Got a couple months to go, but the big ones aren't a problem... yet.

Originally Posted by cass
i'm 64 and have decided that when i can't handle the Ultra any more, i'll get a Ural with sidecar and two wheel drive.....
I have a Ural - ride one a bit before you firm up that decision. Redline is around 70mph, so I think a 55mph cruise is about the most you can reasonably do with them, and that's not uphill. If I ever get to a point where all I could ride is a sidecar or trike, and wanted the sidecar, the Ural would go as a down payment on a really nice sidecar for the Harley. My Ural is the cheapest way to take the grandchildren for rides and avoid using the gas guzzler with 4 wheels for all those short shopping trips and errands when the roads aren't salt slush; they're great for that, but a Harley hack would be better.

The following users liked this post:
cass (03-23-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 02:07 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,413 Likes on 4,017 Posts

I'm coming up on 60... but I already have a plan.

When I have trouble handling the weight of my Ultra, I'll change the rake and add a sidecar. I'll still have my Heritage for the 2 wheel moments...

I just can't get onboard with the trikes. They just don't excite me... I'd rather fight with a sidecar...

I know a guy who had a '74 electra glide with side car... road it when he was 90..!

Old 01-16-2017, 02:15 PM
rags
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 70 and ride a Road King but I have a neighbor that just turned 83 and rides an Ultra and still does a great job at it.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:24 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Got a couple months to go, but the big ones aren't a problem... yet.

I have a Ural - ride one a bit before you firm up that decision. Redline is around 70mph, so I think a 55mph cruise is about the most you can reasonably do with them, and that's not uphill. If I ever get to a point where all I could ride is a sidecar or trike, and wanted the sidecar, the Ural would go as a down payment on a really nice sidecar for the Harley. My Ural is the cheapest way to take the grandchildren for rides and avoid using the gas guzzler with 4 wheels for all those short shopping trips and errands when the roads aren't salt slush; they're great for that, but a Harley hack would be better.
Thanks for the advice. The closest dealer to me is in northern maryland up near the pa border. plan on hitting him this summer just for giggles.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:55 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

69 here. For our 70th year we are riding across country, To the Mid Atlantic and New England, then up to Newfoundland and then a zigzag home seeing how many old friends and family will still open their door to us. We were going to ride to Alaska, but with another thread here taking about free park passes in Canada this summer, we got ours on order. Last summer I fell over 2 up, loaded for 2 weeks travel when we stopped on fresh gravel. It was a wake up. Nothing hurt except my pride. Even though stopped, it still bothered me. I just did not have the strength to hold it or catch it. Sure she was wiggling, looking for the office of the motel. But you learn. After that, when we hit loose gravel in a parking lot, I stopped and had her get off while I parked the bike. Then I would move it back to pavement before letting her get on again. So at 69, we try to ride smarter, not smaller. Last year was the first year that we got real careful about trying to pack the heavy stuff in the saddlebags put lighter stuff in the tour pack and rack bag. Usually after a few days, stuff gets moved around so much that where the weight is located was not an issue. This past summer, we just took a few extra minutes to repack and it helped a lot. Our heaviest items are our leather jackets, followed by leather chaps/overpants. We needed these as it was 33F and sleet on day one and we had many mountain passes with snow still on the side of the road. On one day, our ride went from 42F at the motel to 28F over a pass to 105F at 3:00 PM. Textile might be lighter, but they were too bulky for us.

Added: It is comforting to know others, well into their high 70's and even 80's still tour. As I read the responses, I see that as long as I can stay reasonably healthy, that I can ride for another 10 years or more. Several comments here addressed knees. That is a concern for me as I severely tore the meniscus in my right knee (fly fishing glacial streams) and shattered my left knee cap (deer hunting). I sold my last kick start ironhead a few years ago, as I just did not want to take the risk anymore. I started riding a stationary bike each morning to strengthen the muscles and ligaments on both knees. It seems to be working. I learned last November at the tender age of 68 that I am no longer invincible. I fell off my roof in a storm. I cracked two ribs and severely sprained my ankle. Fortunately, x-rays only showed past fractures, but it took me 6 months to walk without pain. The lesson learned that night is that I stay off the roof and hire a younger man for the roof next storm, even to just remove a large branch blown onto the roof by the wind.
I am one that will not go to a trike or other three wheeler.... unless it is a Morgan. At the point we can no longer tour on our Harley, I'll ride my sportster for errands and we'll tour in the corvette.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 01-17-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:25 PM
GaryInDelta
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Street Glide at 70

Turned 70 8/16. Got that Street Glide last Feb and love it. After years of dinkin' around w/shields and bags on Dynas and Softails, the touring bike really does it. My advice is to focus on building up your knees. Weak knees are bad for character and for holding up heavy, taller bikes with a passenger.
P.S. My driveway is 500 feet of gravel and I dumped that sob more in three months than in the last 30 years (well ok, 20) of riding. Took a while to learn. Plus the knee strength!

Gary In Delta

Old 01-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 70 plus ....

Had my 72nd in October (21st), and I've ridden an 09 EGC since it was almost new. Before that, a Softail, Hondas, Yamahas and even a Norton.
I'm waiting for the ice in my back lane fronting my garage to melt, which is imminent with a "pineapple express" on the way, after 5 weeks of freezing weather.
I can't even BEGIN to think of not visiting my grandchildren in Los Angeles this year, and taking them for a ride on the bike.
I work out at least 3 x per week, even though I have no wish to pick it up.
I'll let my heirs worry about disposing of the bike, G-d willing.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:24 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I am 76 and ride a 16 RG CVO Ultra which I think is the heaviest bike H-D makes. Even young guys can't right a fallen bagger. So if it happens it happens and I will deal with it then.

But then I do have a Street 750 for light "fun" riding.

I have done 85,000 miles total for 15 and 16. When I get old I guess I will have to cut down.

The following users liked this post:
Papa G (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:29 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I'm not quite there yet, but my two other riding buddies and I vowed to keep at it for a long while. We've been doing an annual 'guys only ride' and will be doing that for a good long while also.

Quick Reply: Who's over 70 and still ride an Ultra?