Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straightening bent front fender

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:56 PM
westicles
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straightening bent front fender

Hey guys,

Had a bit of a spill back in the fall and did some damage to the front fender of my 03 Road King. Not dented per se but bent out of shape/alignment. Has anyone had positive experiences in straightening these and what are the best practices?

Old 01-18-2017, 06:06 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

look at the fender and try to determine what the angle or direction the incident pushed on the fender, then reverse it by pulling on it in the reverse direction that caused it. That one looks like a left foot on the tire and pull on it. But You often have to over pull it back inorder for it to stay. Might have to take the wheel off.

Last edited by sixguns; 01-18-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:44 PM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
look at the fender and try to determine what the angle or direction the incident pushed on the fender, then reverse it by pulling on it in the reverse direction that caused it. That one looks like a left foot on the tire and pull on it. But You often have to over pull it back inorder for it to stay. Might have to take the wheel off.
That's some pretty good advice. Most body men try to determine where the impact came from and then reverse it. Looks to me like you might have to remove the front wheel to get enough pull on it. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:48 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you crease the paint? If it needs painting, it's often cheaper to find a take off fender, if you happen upon the right color. IMO, putting a foot on the tire and pulling on it wouldn't fix it to my satisfaction. Looks to me like a profession fix is needed.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:24 PM
JAMESAK51
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like your lights caught it too? Depending on your deductible, possible insurance claim? It starts adding up pretty quick once you start replacing parts. Maybe you can straighten some of that out though too.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:43 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

fixing bent sheet metal is easy unless its creased. Once creased the metal is stretched and then it gets more involved with more technical techniques.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:50 PM
westicles
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys guys. Fender is not "creased" paint seems fully intact. Trying to determine if it's would be easier with the fender off to really be able to shape it. Have thought about clamps too. Six guns...what would you recommend...sounds like you've done this before. Would this be easier on a "warm" fender? Bike is in my cold garage now.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:36 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by westicles
Thanks for the replys guys. Fender is not "creased" paint seems fully intact. Trying to determine if it's would be easier with the fender off to really be able to shape it. Have thought about clamps too. Six guns...what would you recommend...sounds like you've done this before. Would this be easier on a "warm" fender? Bike is in my cold garage now.
If you remove the fender you will have to figure a way to secure it inorder to bend it back. that would create a wrestling match at the least. On the bike its already in a fixture and you can see where it needs to be to look right. Your fender does not look that bad and should go back with little effort. removing the front wheel and then securing the bike so you can tug on the fender without the bike falling over will be the bigger challenge I think. Warming the fender will have no benefit. Pulling and pushing by hand should be all you need, the fenders are actually flimsy, working by hand will reduce damage to the paint as well.
Hope this helps..

Last edited by sixguns; 01-18-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 PM
missionwop
Road Captain
Received 546 Likes on 219 Posts

I would take off the fender. You could damage it more trying to fix it on the bike. Like someone said the fender is very flimsy especially not bolted on. All it needs is a twist and then straighten out the mounting points before putting it back on.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:50 AM
RCCola45
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by westicles
I didn't vote in the election this year so I will give my vote to sixguns. I think leaving the fender on the bike and possibly removing the wheel would be your best bet ... I don't think it will take much to get that realigned.

Quick Reply: Straightening bent front fender