Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 SG cam tensioner let loose

Old 01-31-2017, 08:39 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
See the bold above Scott. Thanks!
==================

Thanks for the reply & answers to my questions.

Your answers seem to indicate the premature failure of the cam chain tensioners on your bike doesnt look to have been hastened & or caused by poor maint or cruising at higher then normal rpm because you did good maint & didnt abuse the bike.

I dont know for sure but just like (NMPGRider) stated i too have suspect the excessive heat our hd's produce has a significant affect on srv'c of the plastic/teflon type material the rubbing blocks on cam chain & primary tensioners are made of along with that same excessive heat having a negative affect on many other components in general on our HD's too.

Things that are located behind rear cyl really take a beating heat wise like for ex the starter,coil,battery,ecm on top of battery & more.

Scott

Old 02-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with that theory of plastics not belonging in oil and heat but we also tend to loose sight on a forum of how many don't fail.

That gets complicated though because alot of guys who own bikes don't really ride them alot. (I think anyway)
Perhaps we do ride them on this forum but generally speaking I would guess most don't rack up miles like we do.

None the less.......it does happen and when these little darlings fail they do alot of damage.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I figured I'd share that my bike which has < 50,000 miles just gave me a present.

Apparently the one cam tensioner completely wore down through the tensioner material itself and exposed the metal post which the tensioner rides on.

This meant the cam chain was whirling on metal to metal and spewing metal fragments in bottom end and sending junk to the motor. (No damage up top though) Those fragments took out the oil pump by galling the inside, wore the chain, sent fragments thru the motor.

The other tensioner was not far behind this one but did not get down to the metal post yet but was wearing into the tensioner material.

I decided to allow the mechanic to do some other stuff while he is in there.

We are replacing as I said the chains, going with new fueling cams to replace the S&S easy starts, a complete new Fueling kit with bearings, gaskets, billet cam plate, new aftermarket oil pump and new tappets rollers and push rods. What the hell.

Check those cam tensioners guys!
While my bike is in for cams, exhaust, intake ect I was going to have the mechanic replace the tensioners while he was there (48K miles). HD's are 40.00 each, might as well while he is there. But I have to ask, are you going with the HD's, Red Shift or S&S shoes? I ask, because I dont want them breaking up and destroying my motor.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Gliden
Club Member

Neither. I'm installing the Fueling tensioners, fueling new cams, backplate etc. Recommended by my speed shop.
Hope this helps. They are red in color. Not sure why they are superior but my guy says they are.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:39 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

I agree with that theory of plastics not belonging in oil and heat but we also tend to loose sight on a forum of how many don't fail.

That gets complicated though because alot of guys who own bikes don't really ride them alot. (I think anyway)
Perhaps we do ride them on this forum but generally speaking I would guess most don't rack up miles like we do.

None the less.......it does happen and when these little darlings fail they do alot of damage.
=======================================

I wouldnt be surprised if bike that saw many more open road miles vs more miles @ slower road speeds & stop/go traffic would be likely be cases where oil/motors run hotter affecting the plastic/teflon type material the rubbing blocks are made of.

Anyway,seems like you caught it just in time to avoid complete engine failure.

Good luck with the repairs & don't forget to post back in this thread how it worked out when completed.

Scott

Old 02-01-2017, 01:01 PM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

See the bold above Scott. Thanks!
Hey Gliden, Sorry about your motor! You mentioned in the Bold Print , that you popped an oil line at 80 mph! What line was that, was it connected to the UltraCool oil cooler? How many degrees did the UltraCool lower your oil temp ? Thanks! BJ

Old 02-01-2017, 01:01 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Unlike 99.9% of the people expressing opinions on this thread, and every other one concerning plastic parts....whether it be cam tensioners, primary chain tensioner, or ABS vs fiberglass saddlebags...or fairings...or lowers....etc etc., a few of us have actually worked in this industry, and have some knowledge rather than opinions. I have stated before, and will say again, plastic parts have no business being in a hot running environment, like our Harley engines.
They will fail. Any farmer will tell you that even cast iron will fail at 30 below zero, but last forever at 30 above. Plastic is the opposite....the hotter the environment, the sooner the fail.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:28 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Unlike 99.9% of the people expressing opinions on this thread, and every other one concerning plastic parts....whether it be cam tensioners, primary chain tensioner, or ABS vs fiberglass saddlebags...or fairings...or lowers....etc etc., a few of us have actually worked in this industry, and have some knowledge rather than opinions. I have stated before, and will say again, plastic parts have no business being in a hot running environment, like our Harley engines.
They will fail. Any farmer will tell you that even cast iron will fail at 30 below zero, but last forever at 30 above. Plastic is the opposite....the hotter the environment, the sooner the fail.
Modern engines have plastic in them. It's a reality; has been for a long while. Seems fine considering the low number of failures.

Either way, who cares.

Last edited by lp; 02-01-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Originally Posted by boston jim
Hey Gliden, Sorry about your motor! You mentioned in the Bold Print , that you popped an oil line at 80 mph! What line was that, was it connected to the UltraCool oil cooler? How many degrees did the UltraCool lower your oil temp ? Thanks! BJ
No. I had run my own oil lines having done my own oil filter relocation to put the oil filter back by the left saddle bag.
The hose rubbed thru under the bike on a trip back from Tennessee. Small nightmare that day was. Lol

Ultra cool rules! Great product.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Modern engines have plastic in them. It's a reality; has been for a long while. Seems fine considering the low number of failures.

Either way, who cares.

Now there is the quote of the century. "Who cares."

When it's your engine....well, now let's see "who cares."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 SG cam tensioner let loose