Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 ho

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Iron25
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

my '15 street glide is a 103HO, but the stock air cleaner doesn't say high output

Attached Thumbnails 103 ho-img_0787.jpg  
Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

MY 16 Ultra Classic air box has High Output in cursive just under the 103.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:33 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by djhrln
Compression ratio of the Twin Cooled HO 103 is 10:1. On the Air Cooled HO 103 it's 9.7:1. Maybe that's what some are thinking regarding the difference.
This is correct 2013 and older 103's were 9:2.1 compression.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:14 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino-1
I don't know that there are "much better," only different... The HO cams are pretty darn good, and similar profiles were sold as Screamin' Eagle upgrade cams in the recent past.

Horses for courses. The HO cams do a splendid job as-is. As some here have attested, there is a marked difference between the "standard" profile 103 cams and the HO cams.
I disagree, for instance Andrews 57h cams are direct replacement to 103 standard & 103 ho, the difference between the 57h & factory 103/103ho is night & day! The dyno results are the deciding factor not opinions!

I'm in process of installing 57h cams in my 2012 FLHR from what many have stated on this site, it is considered the best overall direct replacement cam for the 103 & 110 twin cam engines.

Harley will never install the best cam they just provide a starter bike! It's up to you what direction is needed that best suits your personal preference!

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Great spirits have always encountered violent oppositions from mediocre minds.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:10 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by OldPhat
FYI - Was told by a Harley rep. that the compression was originally increased so Harley can comply to stricter EPA emissions reducing pre-ignition & hot spots. This bump in comp will also allow Harley to apply more stricter emissions without changing any internal engine parts through 2020.

The Harley enthusiast will look at increasing compression as a performance upgrade. Good sales promotions are essential to Harley's future. I guess you can say it serves both areas equally well.

B Bop

Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,656 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Originally Posted by OldPhat
CR on my (stock) 2013 103 is 9.6:1

Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,736 Likes on 3,505 Posts

Ok, this is what I came up with, the Rushmores are indeed all HO, but some it seems are more HO than others..

COOLER HEADS PREVAIL:Strategically liquid-cooled 103-cubic-inch Big Twin makes five percent more horsepower and torque than the air-cooled-only High-Output engine and is fitted to bikes in which it can be hidden—the Ultra Limited, CVO Limited (with 110-inch engine) and Tri Glide Ultra. Electric pump circulates coolant to pod-hidden radiators.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:38 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I would just like to ride my Bike, it's snowing once more today in Northern Nevada.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:31 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,736 Likes on 3,505 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
Ok, this is what I came up with, the Rushmores are indeed all HO, but some it seems are more HO than others..

COOLER HEADS PREVAIL:Strategically liquid-cooled 103-cubic-inch Big Twin makes five percent more horsepower and torque than the air-cooled-only High-Output engine and is fitted to bikes in which it can be hidden—the Ultra Limited, CVO Limited (with 110-inch engine) and Tri Glide Ultra. Electric pump circulates coolant to pod-hidden radiators.
Too bad Christmas is over, i could have asked Santa for a HOHO

Old 02-21-2017, 01:55 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by roussfam

Yes, cooler heads prevail, buuuut should enthuses be concerned with vibrations that generate from these huge v-twin 2 cylinders combined with leaky cooling?

Can see Harley making way for a smoother 4 cylinder liquid cooled engine, yes! Also when these water cooled v-twin engines have a few miles on them, will they develop leaks! This is the dilemma and what enthuses are concerned with as efficiency is our main concern when traveling long distances.

As there are other factors that need to be considered besides performance.

B Bop

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Last edited by B Bop; 02-21-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 103 ho