Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head light problems with my 03 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Lcrapo
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head light problems with my 03 Road King

I have been having weird headlight problems with my RK. The head light will quit working for no obvious reason. Static testing with an Ohm meter doesn't reveal any problems and the weird part is, when I remove the seat, the light comes on and stays on for awhile and then days later, the problem repeats. Handlebar switch seems ok. Maybe its an issue with the ignition switch. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-17-2017, 01:38 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I wouldn't think it's an ignition issue if the bike continued to run but that's only shot in the dark

Old 02-17-2017, 01:46 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

welcome to the forums.

1st check the headlight socket isn;t melted or heat damaged- or corroded contacts.

high and low? then follow the black wire for ground and make sure you have a good ground connection to the triple tree.

any fixes done to wiring over the years?- if so look there first, soldered joints do not hold up to vibrations

then it's check wiring from fuse to headlight switch- i don;t have a wiring diagram for your year

evo models had a problem where high wattage bulbs would burn out the ignition switch- I think they changed that before 2003
wiggle ignition switch, any change?

mike

Old 02-17-2017, 02:57 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

OP says that when he removes the seat, the light comes on. Doesn't the wiring harness sit very close to the seat at the rear of the fuel tank. Just a guess but maybe a pinched/broken wire in that area that gets moved when the seat is in place. Try taking the seat off. Then try pushing/moving the harness to see if you can make the light go out. It should not be a short to ground otherwise it would blow the Lights fuse. I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me but many times HD uses a Orange/White Stripe wire to bring power to the lights.
You could also try checking for power at the headlight plug the next time the headlight fails before removing the seat.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:38 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
OP says that when he removes the seat, the light comes on. Doesn't the wiring harness sit very close to the seat at the rear of the fuel tank. Just a guess but maybe a pinched/broken wire in that area that gets moved when the seat is in place. Try taking the seat off. Then try pushing/moving the harness to see if you can make the light go out. It should not be a short to ground otherwise it would blow the Lights fuse. I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me but many times HD uses a Orange/White Stripe wire to bring power to the lights.
You could also try checking for power at the headlight plug the next time the headlight fails before removing the seat.
That is where I would start but also remove the tank console. The problem may just jump right out at ya. Could even be a loose connector under the console.