Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble in the curves

Old 02-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,716 Likes on 6,881 Posts

How many miles on the bike?

Good advice mentioned above. I bet the tires are out of date. Only good for 5 years. Tire pressure is important. There has always been an issue with pre 2009 models. They make devices like "True Trac" which work and will help. If high mileage you may need to replace the swing arm Bushings.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:10 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,340 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by BillinSC
You may already know this but, after you have checked all those items listed above which are also very important, read and understand what counter steering is.

Not to confuse the issue, but there is a counter-steering thread - locked, some valid info and some BS. Good to know but it is almost instinctive.
If he's in the curve he already counter-steered.

I would go with tires - condition and pressure and it doesn't matter how they perform in a straight line, your problem is in the corners. Check bushings as mentioned, and know that HD suspension sucks. So, if you are being aggressive in corners with a stock touring bike you will often experience a mushy less than responsive feel, with wobble and even drift. Also rear suspension affects traction and comfort more and front suspension affects handling more. So if all else fails - probably time to service the front forks (depending on the mileage - rebuild) and perhaps try a heavier fork oil.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:25 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Markmark
Just got an 03 e-glide ultra classic. Previous owner trashed his knee so he quit riding. The bike sat for 2 years. The bike gets squirrelly in curves. Is this the nature of the beast? Maybe I should replace the tires?
Here is another good read on the subject. Graham has compiled some good information here.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-exposed.html

Old 02-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

As stated, it's the nature of the beast. The frame is old and out-dated and probably out of alignment but the main problem is the flexing in the frame while entering a curve.
If you have to have this bike then spend the money on the tru-trac and possible upgrade the suspension a bit on the front, it will help boat loads.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:57 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

I was having same issue, I solved mine with air pressure adjustment to the tires and shocks.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:18 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Check the easy stuff first, Tire pressures, bad tires, swing test (google it ), Shock pressures, motor mounts, I think on my 06 , i replaced front motor mount twice. Ask anyone who just put new tires on there bike, Night and day from worn out tires

Old 02-19-2017, 05:31 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,230 Likes on 804 Posts

The bike gets squirrelly in curves.
Is this the nature of the beast?
I've an 04 Road King myself. It now behaves very well. Even on a road racing track.. I can ride it on the cruise control with my hands in my lap for miles on end, and steer it that way by leaning and nudging with my knees. It is very well behaved.

Here is what I did.

I used shim stock to tighten up the OEM slop in between the inner swing arm bushing and the shaft. This could be observed with the belt slackened as something like 1/8 side to side deflection of the rear wheel. New parts had the same excessive clearance. I've also found it on swing arm assemblies at swap meets. It appears to be a universal OEM problem.

I replaced my spoke wheels with cast wheels. There is a lot of deflection in spokes.

I replaced my tires. You should, simply due to age. Currently, I'm running the Michelin Commander series, and have found them well behaved on the highway, metal grate bridges, mud, wet rocks and some other odd things. I've liked them well enough that I'll likely run them again, something I rarely do. Though I may put some Duro knobbies on the spoke rims. But that's another story.

My steering head is a little tight. I do not like the OEM setting, and find it far too floppy.

I've tuned my shocks and forks with both viscosity and quantity of oil. While this doesn't address wobbling, it certainly does help handling. Currently I am running no air in either my shocks not forks. Forks have been modified for air. Oil in both forks and shocks is thicker than stock, and the levels are higher than stock. The higher oil levels reduced the air cushion size, ramping up effective spring rate more rapidly upon compression.

It works well for me.

I can still make the bike wobble in a turn. Especially when well heeled over in a high speed sweeper. Just nudge the handlebars. It will wobble about the steering head. I can also control that, by stiffening my arms.

A future mod is a steering damper, for that steering head wobble. Someone makes one that clamps to the crash bar. It has the right angularity to work well. But, things are working well enough that I don't feel a pressing need for it.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Markmark
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. Seem a good bunch on this forum. On background, I'm 64, started riding at 18. Still have to keep a tight rein on my impulse to drag the footboards. Yes, learning about counter steering those many years ago was an eye opener. Had many metric bikes. This is my third HD, but first bagger. Still have my duoglide. This is an 03 eglide ultra. 32k miles. 95",203 cams, Rinehart true duals, race tuner. Records I have indicate 30k service has not been done. Found code on front tire. It's 17 yrs old. So, first get new tires. Then do service. Then check motor mounts. Then thrash it to see if I need something else. Or ride like a sane person my age??? Nah.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:36 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Holy crap.... 17 year old tires!!! Replace those and check the easy stuff like the shock pressure. I am sure that will make a dramatic difference.lol

Old 02-20-2017, 05:45 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,340 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Found code on front tire. It's 17 yrs old. So, first get new tires. Then do service. Then check motor mounts. Then thrash it to see if I need something else. Or ride like a sane person my age??? Nah.
COOL. With that history, I would dare say Tires and service - even upgrade the front end to at least heavier fork oil - emulators - or all out with cartridges. Test ride and keep tweeking.
I'm a couple of years younger but started 5 years earlier.
You can't throw a Bagger like a crotch rocket, but you can definitely improve it to where you can corner better than most.
Good tire - front Legend cartridges (tuned slightly stiff) - Ohlin 3-3's on the rear and I can play in the twisties all day.
Give us an update after the tires and service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wobble in the curves