Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Amber lenses.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:44 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

If I switch my lens color to red then do I just use the existing bulbs ? On the other hand if I go with smoked what color bulbs do I use ? How hard is it to remove the front and rear fender tip lenses ? Thanks

Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I went with these chrome lenses for the flat signal on front of my RK. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/354-096 The also have Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz in the front.
The rear has red LED bullets from Kuryakyn, I did away with the flat rear turn signal bar.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/446-561
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/320-345

Originally Posted by C908
If I switch my lens color to red then do I just use the existing bulbs ? On the other hand if I go with smoked what color bulbs do I use ? How hard is it to remove the front and rear fender tip lenses ? Thanks
You might consider amber bulbs inside of the smoke lenses. Maybe even LED inserts.

Last edited by 2goldens; 02-22-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:06 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

If ya go from amber to red, use the stock clear bulbs. Going to smoke or clear, ya need correct color bulbs (red/amber).
Getting rid of the tip lights requires filling big holes or replacing fender. Good black "holeless" fenders are pretty easy to find.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 02-22-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:11 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
If ya go from amber to red, use the stock clear bulbs. Going to smoke or clear, ya need correct color bulbs (red/amber).
Getting rid of the tip lights requires filling big holes or replacing fender. Good black "holeless" fenders are pretty easy to find.
Oldhippie: I was told not too long that cops in Cali aren't crazy about red lens with clear bulbs on the front. One of the guys in the dealership service department here in Salinas told me that. Have you heard the same?

Carry on guys....don't mean to hijack the thread.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:23 PM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 222 Likes on 162 Posts

Red lenses are not legal on the front of any vehicle in any state. Unless, of course, you're an emergency responder.

If your lens has the desired color, a clear bulb is fine. Clear or smoked lenses require a colored bulb.

As for the fender tip lenses, all you need is a small-ish flat blade screw driver. There's a little notch that you get into and pry the lens up. Quite simple.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:30 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by caulk04
Red lenses are not legal on the front of any vehicle in any state. Unless, of course, you're an emergency responder.

If your lens has the desired color, a clear bulb is fine. Clear or smoked lenses require a colored bulb.

As for the fender tip lenses, all you need is a small-ish flat blade screw driver. There's a little notch that you get into and pry the lens up. Quite simple.
Okay....that's what he said. I had no idea.

It's hard being dumb....most you guys wouldn't know!

Old 02-22-2017, 04:52 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Just got back from a ride so I haven't done much research. I see how the front fender tip lens should pop out but the rear looks like it might be one piece. I also haven't checked out the tail light to see if I could just replace the stock red cover with a smoked cover. At this point I know I could go with front and rear smoked lenses with amber bulbs. I can also get a front fender tip lens that is smoke. Need to figure out what to do with the red rear tail light and red rear fender tip lens. I don't know how it would look with everything smoked except those two things.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Oldhippie: I was told not too long that cops in Cali aren't crazy about red lens with clear bulbs on the front. One of the guys in the dealership service department here in Salinas told me that. Have you heard the same?

Carry on guys....don't mean to hijack the thread.
Yes red lights in the front or blue lights anywhere will get ya a lot of attention from the law...pretty much anywhere I think?
Technically I believe smoke Lenses are illegal along with replacing amber rear turn lamps to red?? I've never had a problem but like removing the front licence plate on your car, it gives cops an excuse to hassle ya?

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 02-22-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

If you switch the back turn signals to red, I would highly recommend adding this module to make the turn signals become brake lights as well. Turn signals function normally. Off while running but when you hit the brake, they come on. Really make a statement when you hit the brake. One light running, three lights when you hit the brake.

http://www.biketronics.com/bt400-tailstopper/

I had bad luck with a smoke LED light and didn't like the difference between run and brake. It was a long time ago and I am sure they are better now but I've been gun shy ever since of LED's. Plus I like the fact that you can find a good ole 1156 or 1157 clear bulb literally anywhere.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:40 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

As stated, a standard small screwdriver is all you need. Give some serious consideration to LED inserts. If you go smoke, they lights will still be brighter than the bulbs you had before. And if you go with Custom Dynamics (plug, plug), there is a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: Replacing Amber lenses.