Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Narrow Brake Pedal for Tourer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:34 AM
leond
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrow Brake Pedal for Tourer?

In an attempt to gain access to more of the right floorboard on my Electra Classic, I installed an EZ Brake. While it did help, I think the real issue is the width of the pedal.

Short of just cutting the pedal in half, does anyone make a brake pedal that's a narrower width?

Also, it looks like some of the Softail pedals are narrower. Will they fit on a tourer?

Thanks,
LeonD

Old 06-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Narrow Brake Pedal for Tourer?

ORIGINAL: leond

In an attempt to gain access to more of the right floorboard on my Electra Classic, I installed an EZ Brake. While it did help, I think the real issue is the width of the pedal.

Short of just cutting the pedal in half, does anyone make a brake pedal that's a narrower width?

Also, it looks like some of the Softail pedals are narrower. Will they fit on a tourer?

Thanks,
LeonD
I find the opposite, I wish they were bigger.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:55 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever think about adding one of Soos' floor board extensions? I get they will help you out. It wont shave the pedal, but move the board itself away from the bike 3/4", thus moving your foot position. Might work, and the man does good work and they are cheap, I hear.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:47 AM
leond
Cruiser

I thought of that but I think they'll spread my legs apart too far.

What's happening is that when I use the rear part of the floorboard (towards the back of the bike), I'm fine. As I slide my foot forward for a different position, it bumps into the pedal. I end up twisting my foot clockwise 45 degrees to avoid the pedal. After riding this was for a bit, I feel soreness in my knee. If the pedal was only half the width, I wouldn't have to twist my foot.

LeonD

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

Ever think about adding one of Soos' floor board extensions? I get they will help you out. It wont shave the pedal, but move the board itself away from the bike 3/4", thus moving your foot position. Might work, and the man does good work and they are cheap, I hear.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:57 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Two things I did with the stock pedal.

First, I adjusted the damn thing so it only sits 2" of the deck of the floorboard vs all the way up in the sky the way the factory sets it. Works better for me personally, I want to get to it quick when I need to and not lift my foot that much.

Second, I removed the black pedal rubber, trimmed the pedal to the width I wanted and dressed the edges with an air grinder. Trimmed the Rubber pedal cover and reinstalled it.

Much better, and it didn't cost $150 to make it happen.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 AM
leond
Cruiser

That's sounds like what I'm looking to do.

How did you adjust it to sit two inches off the deck of the floorboard? Other than cutting and rewelding it, I don't see any vertical adjustment.

LeonD

ORIGINAL: 89FLHT

Two things I did with the stock pedal.

First, I adjusted the damn thing so it only sits 2" of the deck of the floorboard vs all the way up in the sky the way the factory sets it. Works better for me personally, I want to get to it quick when I need to and not lift my foot that much.

Second, I removed the black pedal rubber, trimmed the pedal to the width I wanted and dressed the edges with an air grinder. Trimmed the Rubber pedal cover and reinstalled it.

Much better, and it didn't cost $150 to make it happen.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cut it down and install an FX Softail pedal. Ive cut down mine on all my bikes, I used to use an old FLH rubber pad but this time I used a softail one. Always works. I'll try to post a picture after work.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:11 AM
leond
Cruiser

Cool. Thanks.

If I don't want to cut mine, would a Softail pedal work?

LeonD

ORIGINAL: hogdoc

Cut it down and install an FX Softail pedal. Ive cut down mine on all my bikes, I used to use an old FLH rubber pad but this time I used a softail one. Always works. I'll try to post a picture after work.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres the picture of mine cut down with FX pad. We were slammed at work last couple days and I didnt get to look for sure about FX pedal, but I dont think it will work. I'll try to look on tuesday.

Greg

[IMG]local://upfiles/17000/5A0899EF3B2C45CD89273BC889E9EBA3.jpg[/IMG]

You can see there is alot more room!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:53 PM
leond
Cruiser

That looks like what I need to do. It make the front of the floorboard more useable.

Thanks for the pic,
LeonD

Quick Reply: Narrow Brake Pedal for Tourer?