Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid - How much in an ABS Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 PM
Runamuk13
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Fluid - How much in an ABS Ultra?

Preparing to replace the 2-year old brake fluid in my 2011 Ultra Limited with ABS. Not having any brake problems, just following the moco recommendations to replace the brake fluid every 2 years.

Here's my question - typically when I bleed the brakes on my car, I can tell when the new fluid has passed through the system because the fluid coming out of the caliber becomes clear. But on my bike, the old fluid is still pretty clear. I don't think I'll be able to visually tell the difference between the old and new fluid. Any suggestions on how to know when the new fluid has passed through the system?

Right now I'm thinking that I'll simply run 1/2 a bottle through the front and the other 1/2 through the rear.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:15 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I do not have an ABS Harley, but I do have a Road King, Ultra, and six other motorcycles, some with ABS. Once a year, I do a flush and bleed on all of them, and find that one 12 oz. bottle of DOT4 fluid is plenty for one motorcycle. There is not a great volume of fluid in either front or rear system.

My understanding of the H-D ABS system is that there is some small amount of fluid that will not be exchanged by a simple flush and bleed; only by cycling the ABS is that bit of fluid exchanged. Since you are doing the right thing by changing fluid every two years, I would not worry about it. My opinion only.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:13 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by Runamuk13
(SNIP)

Right now I'm thinking that I'll simply run 1/2 a bottle through the front and the other 1/2 through the rear.
Same here, that's what I do.
Be sure to get those lid gaskets lined up well when you are finished, I recommend a well lighted place to see what you are doing!
Oh, and I take a cheap turkey baster to suck out all the old fluid from the reservoirs, and fill with new fluid before I get started.

Last edited by TheGrandPoohBah; 02-23-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Runamuk13
Preparing to replace the 2-year old brake fluid in my 2011 Ultra Limited with ABS. Not having any brake problems, just following the moco recommendations to replace the brake fluid every 2 years.

Here's my question - typically when I bleed the brakes on my car, I can tell when the new fluid has passed through the system because the fluid coming out of the caliber becomes clear. But on my bike, the old fluid is still pretty clear. I don't think I'll be able to visually tell the difference between the old and new fluid. Any suggestions on how to know when the new fluid has passed through the system?

One bottle should be enough, and trust me, you'll be able to tell the difference between the two year old fluid and the new fluid.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:15 PM
Drifter-10
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just changed the rear brake pads and bleed em on my 13 RGU.
I use a pneumatic brake bleeder and do not turn the bike on or pull the main fuse so you don't cycle the ABS unit. Already did the front end with no problems.

And yes you can tell when the new fluid had hit the caliper cuz the drain tube will get clearer.

Good luck