Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider used Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 PM
ABS-1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Welcome to the forum from the west side of the mitten in the land of tulips and the only Dutch windmill in the U.S. I also ride a R/G Ultra. What hasn't been mentioned and you'll learn the hard way is to keep the front tire straight when slowing down and braking otherwise it will pull itself over, nature of a heavy front end. Find a empty parking lot(school, church , etc.) to do your practice.
Thanks! You're right that hasn't been mentioned. We're practically neighbors. I'm here in Byron Center.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:53 PM
ABS-1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Welcome to the forum, since you picked a Road Glide it is obvious you have great taste LOL

Take it slow and easyand give yourself time to get used to the bike, others have given good advice. Just ride at your own pace and skill level, don't let others dictate your progression and you will be fine
Thank you sir. I'm about the last one of my friends to get a bike. I told half of them i won't be riding with them until next year.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by ABS-1
Thank you sir. I'm about the last one of my friends to get a bike. I told half of them i won't be riding with them until next year.
My bet is you will have the confidence and be ready to ride with your friends long before that. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction

Old 02-23-2017, 02:06 PM
ABS-1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mxdad
My bet is you will have the confidence and be ready to ride with your friends long before that. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction
I probably will. Definitely will be staying in my comfort zone.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:07 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Welcome to the forum from the west side of the mitten in the land of tulips and the only Dutch windmill in the U.S. I also ride a R/G Ultra. What hasn't been mentioned and you'll learn the hard way is to keep the front tire straight when slowing down and braking otherwise it will pull itself over, nature of a heavy front end. Find a empty parking lot(school, church , etc.) to do your practice.
Good advice. The best way to get used to any bike is slow parking lot practice. Start by doing large figure eights to get used to the feel at a comfortable speed. Make the figure eight smaller as you get more comfortable. BUT, always look through the turn where you are going to go because the bike will go where you are looking. That is mainly what the motorcycle course is going to teach you because more riders are killed riding through curves than any other single cause.

Get used to the braking by accelerating up to speed then stopping. Start with 10, 15, 25 and 30 mph. The keeping the tire strait coming to a stop is very good advice.

The course will also teach you not to take your feet off the boards until you come to a stop. That takes some practice, but feet dragging and duck walking are not allowed.

My first bike as an adult was a Road King Classic and I have no regrets.

Good luck and have fun.

Beary

The following users liked this post:
Almostinvincible119 (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:10 PM
ABS-1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by beary
Good advice. The best way to get used to any bike is slow parking lot practice. Start by doing large figure eights to get used to the feel at a comfortable speed. Make the figure eight smaller as you get more comfortable. BUT, always look through the turn where you are going to go because the bike will go where you are looking. That is mainly what the motorcycle course is going to teach you because more riders are killed riding through curves than any other single cause.

Get used to the braking by accelerating up to speed then stopping. Start with 10, 15, 25 and 30 mph. The keeping the tire strait coming to a stop is very good advice.

The course will also teach you not to take your feet off the boards until you come to a stop. That takes some practice, but feet dragging and duck walking are not allowed.

My first bike as an adult was a Road King Classic and I have no regrets.

Good luck and have fun.

Beary
Thanks! I appreciate the advice.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:28 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

ABS,
This was my 1st motorcycle also
Name:  DSC04485_3_2.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  309.0 KB

Yeah, i dropped it a couple times the 1st year, but i learned from each event & did no damage in either.
You picked a fine machine to start with ... the Roadeye will take you anywhere you wanna go.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 PM
ABS-1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groupw
ABS,
This was my 1st motorcycle also

Yeah, i dropped it a couple times the 1st year, but i learned from each event & did no damage in either.
You picked a fine machine to start with ... the Roadeye will take you anywhere you wanna go.
Beautiful machine! Thanks

Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 PM
ABS-1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ABS-1
Beautiful machine! Thanks
beautiful view also!

Old 02-23-2017, 02:33 PM
ABS-1
Intermediate