Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider used Road Glide

Old 02-24-2017, 10:46 AM
ABS-1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by L88
Smart move on the motorcycle safety course. The harley touring frame handles extremely well. Stay off the multi-lane business districts and avoid rush hours for awhile to develop your skills. Maybe take the trunk off for now to lower the center of gravity. I wear a full face and his-vis jacket or vest at all times.
I'm debating on the first helmet I'm going to get right now. Funny....i didn't mention that it had a trunk. That's the first thing I'm doing. May get a chop pack later. Use the big one for long trips.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

ABS-1 Welcome from another rider of the SHARK!!!!

Old 02-24-2017, 11:39 AM
ABS-1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by runnhrd
ABS-1 Welcome from another rider of the SHARK!!!!
Thank you

Old 02-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Sidius
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums and good choice on a first bike!!

I just learned to ride last year and bought my first bike which is a 2010 Road King. Others have covered everything with great advice but thought I would add my 2 cents since I was in your shoes last year. I also had most people telling me not to buy a touring Harley as my first bike. They said I should by a Yamaha or some other metric cruiser to learn on but I personally don't understand that logic. Yes the Road King might have a bit more power than a lot of metric cruisers but you'll get used to the bike fairly quickly. Just do as others have said and make sure you get to know the bike, go at your own pace and don't let others pressure you into anything.

The first day I owned the bike I took it to a parking lot to get used to the weight, slow speed figure 8's, braking and the bikes friction zone/clutch/throttle. After an hour of that I met up with some friends and went on a 5 hr ride (round trip). They went at my pace for a while but they were experienced riders who wanted to ride way faster than I was comfortable. I honestly didn't care what they were doing. I just let them ride their ride and I went at whatever speed I was comfortable with. They would slow down and let me catch up or wait for me at pre-determined spots to make sure I was ok. I got to know the bike slowly and by the time I got home I was a lot more confident. I also took the bike to a parking lot close to my house almost every day to practice a lot at slow speeds. I ended up putting about 5000 miles on her before the season ended in my area. Now I'm frothing at the mouth to get out and ride again but the winter just won't go away!! lol

Old 02-24-2017, 12:13 PM
L88
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidius

I just learned to ride last year and bought my first bike which is a 2010 Road King. Others have covered everything with great advice but thought I would add my 2 cents since I was in your shoes last year. I also had most people telling me not to buy a touring Harley as my first bike. They said I should by a Yamaha or some other metric cruiser to learn on but I personally don't understand that logic. Yes the Road King might have a bit more power than a lot of metric cruisers but you'll get used to the bike fairly quickly. Just do as others have said and make sure you get to know the bike, go at your own pace and don't let others pressure you into anything.

The first day I owned the bike I took it to a parking lot to get used to the weight, slow speed figure 8's, braking and the bikes friction zone/clutch/throttle. After an hour of that I met up with some friends and went on a 5 hr ride (round trip). They went at my pace for a while but they were experienced riders who wanted to ride way faster than I was comfortable. I honestly didn't care what they were doing. I just let them ride their ride and I went at whatever speed I was comfortable with. They would slow down and let me catch up or wait for me at pre-determined spots to make sure I was ok. I got to know the bike slowly and by the time I got home I was a lot more confident. I also took the bike to a parking lot close to my house almost every day to practice a lot at slow speeds. I ended up putting about 5000 miles on her before the season ended in my area. Now I'm frothing at the mouth to get out and ride again but the winter just won't go away!! lol
Very good point for all riders of all skill levels. Stay within yourself.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:20 PM
ABS-1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sidius

Great advice! Thanks. So looking forward to spring.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Kburgad
I agree with bend iron. My last bike was a night train it had single front brake and a tiny 80/90 21 tire. Most all of my stops that were not emergency stops were all front brake. The train never hit the ground. If your instructor told you no front brake then you had a bad instructor. They are there to teach you the balance. Too much rear brake and she will slide out from under you. Its all about practice.

you're taking it out of context. at parking lot speeds, especially if the front end is turned, you do want to avoid using your front brake. but in the real world, at regular everyday speeds, the front brake provides 70% or more of your stopping power.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 PM
ABS-1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sectime
I would go to a local dealer and check out the official Harley new rider school. It's tailored to Harley riding and riders. You will feel right at home. I would suggest buying and installing crash bar protectors for the inevitable drop. Cheap and work great... Don't ask
it has engine and bag guards luckily... the Harley dealer actually owes me. Was gonna give me some gift cards. Maybe I'll just ask for the course.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:44 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

take off the plastic stuff,fairing lowers tour pack saddlebags. get some garden hose slit it lengthwise put it on the guards and hit the parking lot. you'll be ready when u find the limits.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:44 PM
ABS-1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
take off the plastic stuff,fairing lowers tour pack saddlebags. get some garden hose slit it lengthwise put it on the guards and hit the parking lot. you'll be ready when u find the limits.
Thanks. Never would've thought of that stuff...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New rider used Road Glide