Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tires give the plushest ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:55 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I'm always suspect after a rider using brand A tire switches to brand B tire when the current tire on the motorcycle is due for a tire change. Of course brand B is going to ride better. You're comparing a new tire with a worn out one! Unless you are comparing both brands of tires in the same new state, I'm not sure one can give a valid opinion.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I'm always suspect after a rider using brand A tire switches to brand B tire when the current tire on the motorcycle is due for a tire change. Of course brand B is going to ride better. You're comparing a new tire with a worn out one! Unless you are comparing both brands of tires in the same new state, I'm not sure one can give a valid opinion.
Good point, but of course some of us have done valid comparisons. The real challenge is swapping from a nice low mileage aftermarket tyre (due to a blow-out) to a new stock one - that will test brand loyalty!

Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I wAs thinking about sidewall flex when I started this thread. For example if you read Bridgestones claims regarding their new Battlecruise H50 tire, they say that it rides significantly better than most other brand tires because of their patented sidewall construction. I forget the actual percentage they claim on their web site.
Of course they haven't manufactured, as yet, the size I need since they are brand new.

I was hoping that some riders on this site may have noticed differences in riding comfort between various brand that are available.
I'm done with shocks. Been there done that and am satisfied with what I currently have. I am just curious if there is anything else I can do to make my ride even better than it is now. I'm figuring I will be needing tire soon so I was looking to see if there were any improvements I could make in that area.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:32 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm Metzeler fan, but lately i have seen a lot cupping on the front tire from many of my buddy's bikes that ran Metzelers. May of them have gone to the Commanders and have been very happy with the ride, handling and mileage. Once my are worn out, i think i am going to give the Michelin Commanders a try.

www.longrideshields.com

Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by longrideshields-2
I'm Metzeler fan, but lately i have seen a lot cupping on the front tire from many of my buddy's bikes that ran Metzelers. May of them have gone to the Commanders and have been very happy with the ride, handling and mileage. Once my are worn out, i think i am going to give the Michelin Commanders a try.
I had the commanders on my old Street Glide. I liked them but I can't remember if they rode softer. It was about 8 yrs. ago.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:01 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What's important to remember with the ride of a tire is the speed rating. An "H" rated tire is designed for speeds up to 130 mph max. Which also means it's a firmer rubber tire. Whereas a "W" rated tire is much softer and is rated for speeds up to 168 mph. A softer tire will give a better ride and will perform better, but you give up tire life. It's the same reason you'll never see a Porsche 911 wearing an H rated tire. First of all because it doesn't exist. Secondly, why would you put a firm slower speed rated tire on a race car that's street legal.
For me I run the H rated Mich Commander and keep a slightly lower tire pressure for a softer ride on the bumpy roads. But I'm on a 960lb Bagger, so that combo won't work for everyone.
This topic is a hard one to give the best solution because a soft ride to me may be considered a firm ride to another. As often as we have to replace rubber on our bikes, try different tires/pressures to find the one that suits your riding style.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I wAs thinking about sidewall flex when I started this thread. For example if you read Bridgestones claims regarding their new Battlecruise H50 tire, they say that it rides significantly better than most other brand tires because of their patented sidewall construction. I forget the actual percentage they claim on their web site.
Of course they haven't manufactured, as yet, the size I need since they are brand new.

I was hoping that some riders on this site may have noticed differences in riding comfort between various brand that are available.
I'm done with shocks. Been there done that and am satisfied with what I currently have. I am just curious if there is anything else I can do to make my ride even better than it is now. I'm figuring I will be needing tire soon so I was looking to see if there were any improvements I could make in that area.
All the major brands use different features in their tyres, when designing and manufacturing them and will promote their design as being superior. Some years ago I talked to Avon engineers, at a bike show, about dual compound tyres that some brands were making a big fuss about. They just smiled and said they use a different approach to designing their tyres and didn't see the need to use dual compounds. They did explain why, but it was complicated!

Some of us have explained that we use brand X and why. Only you can decide if our experiences and preferences coincide with yours. Unfortunately that can take a great many miles, unless you come across a brand (I have twice in the past) which are so bad you happily junk them before they wear out.

I've been using Avons on my Harleys since the '70s and keep going back to them. It's the only way to travel! The reasons are several: they are compliant and give a smooth comfortable ride, they have excellent grip and hold the road extremely well in the worst conditions, they handle very well in corners and at speed, the provide an excellent ride when 2-up and fully loaded for that grand tour.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:13 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

What have you done to the Front Forks???

Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FlaHeatWave
What have you done to the Front Forks???
Nothing. They are stock. I was thinking of changing the oil to heavy duty.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:03 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

I currently have American Elites on my EGlide. They perform very good in regards to traction on wet or dry pavement and they wear like iron. I have about 16K on them so far and they still have plenty of thread left.
My only complaint is that they don't absorb rough pavement imperfections too well. Maybe it's me and maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist but wondering if there are tire brands available that would be more suple in absorbing small bumps etc. and still offer good traction.
Was thinking maybe a softer compound, sacrificing a few miles of wear?
Would appreciate hearing about your experiences with various tire brands. your
===============================================

Softer tire compound generally = better ride & grip and considerably less overall mileage from the tire.

Harder tire compound generally = less compliant/rougher ride with bit less grip in rain (mostly when riding too fast for wet cond which is 90% of guys i ride with!) & considerably higher tire mileage like for example the Michelin Commander 2's like i am running on my 09 HD deliver.

Scott

Quick Reply: What tires give the plushest ride?