Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hotter than Hell

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:24 PM
BigBadAllis
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

New headers ant tuner will be a huge help. You can re-core your current slip-on or buy new. I'm very happy with mu complete Fullsac system DX Pipe, 4.0 Slash slip-ons and TTS Tune. If you still have your OEM muffler/slip-ons, you can re-core them. Fullsac has cores for that. I removed my previously installed Rinehart True Duals, 4" slip-ons and Power Commander 5. Runs better and significantly cooler.

Jason

The following users liked this post:
ScottyH-D (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:40 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyH-D
I removed the catalytic converter on my 2016 RGU, as previously mentioned in other threads. Other than that, it is completely stock. The bike is absolutely running much better & much cooler. However, after taking it on a 1,000 mile round trip, I can tell you, without any reservation, this bike is still uncomfortably hotter than hell when sitting or moving slowly in traffic.

My former 2011 Ultra Limited had stage 2 and was never uncomfortably hot in any situation that I can recall. I still stand by my opinion that stage 2 is unnecessary, but I was under the impression that all the heat was generated in the catalytic converter. Apparently this isn't the case.

It is time for my first oil change and have read that synthetic oil (which I used in the Limited, religiously) will help the engine run cooler, though I seriously doubt it will drop temps enough to notice a significant difference on the skin.

So, is the cure going to be slip-ons or Full exhaust, or something else? I'm trying real hard to keep it simple and cheap.. as far as performance goes, I'm very happy with the stock setup and am really enjoying the peace & quiet. I just gotta get rid of all this heat.
Here is a REPORT on How to Cool Down your Twin Cam. Lot's of little inexpensive things you can do that will have a significant effect.

The oil and the headers do Not make enough difference that you will feel it.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 4 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Just Me (03-27-2017), NELS (03-27-2017), RandyL (03-28-2017), ScottyH-D (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 PM
ScottyH-D
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Here is a REPORT on How to Cool Down your Twin Cam. Lot's of little inexpensive things you can do that will have a significant effect.

The oil and the headers do Not make enough difference that you will feel it.
Thanks Kevin! That's a lot of great intel..

DK Custom (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:35 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm just guessing by your original post but if you were on a 1,000 mile trip and talk about sitting still or traffic, was that after a prolonged trip down the highway? If that's the case, all the money in the world you can throw at your bike isn't going to make a drastic change.

My bike has oil cooler, gutted cat, high flow intake and exhaust and a custom tune. If I run down the freeway and take and exit and have to sit through the light more than once or twice, it gets hot real fast. Especially in stop and go traffic. Your engine was at a good load and getting a 70 mph breeze. You take that breeze away, the engine is still at a full heat soak. Nothing is going to cool it off until you get moving again. Heat rises so guess where it goes?

A tune will definitely help but it's an air cooled engine and it's going to get hot. Especially sitting still after riding. Especially on a hot sunny day which is adding to the perceived motor temperature. Your body just lost the 70 mph breeze too.

One thing to remember, your bike was designed to take it. Much better than you will. You're not going to hurt it.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

Scotty, the cheapest thing you can do to your RGU to lower temps here in Texas is to remove your lower fairings. Pretty simple to do and only takes about 10 minutes for both. I removed them on my 15 Ultra a couple of weeks ago and it really makes a difference. When the weather turns cooler this fall/ winter I will put them back on. Until then I am enjoying the cooler ride, both in stop and go and on the road.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:21 PM
ScottyH-D
Cruiser

It's a "Twin Cooled", as if that matters, lol..

Old 03-27-2017, 08:29 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Learning from our friends in aviation, the only real way to cool an air cooled engine is more fuel. I swapped cams and tuned my '08 Roadie. Runs like it should now.

Edit: I see it is twin cooled. I still think they are too leaned out from the factory for emissions. Add fuel,

Last edited by ev780; 03-27-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

Well you're screwed on removing the lowers then. Didn't realize it was a twin cooled.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Longridertx
Scotty, the cheapest thing you can do to your RGU to lower temps here in Texas is to remove your lower fairings. Pretty simple to do and only takes about 10 minutes for both. I removed them on my 15 Ultra a couple of weeks ago and it really makes a difference. When the weather turns cooler this fall/ winter I will put them back on. Until then I am enjoying the cooler ride, both in stop and go and on the road.
removing your lowers will not lower your engine temps. it may reduce the amount of heat that YOU feel, but that isn't the same. the lowers are designed in such a way as to direct air to your cylinders. remove them, and you remove that funnel.

now, as a compromise, I remove the doors in the warmer months, which allows for more airflow over my legs, which helps some with the felt heat, but still funnels some air to the engine.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:35 PM
ScottyH-D
Cruiser

DK Customs posted some great, inexpensive, tips.. I'll try some of those and then I'm done crying about.. thanks for all the input guys.

DK Custom (03-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Hotter than Hell