Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slip on mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:44 PM
inhershey
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default slip on mufflers

I bought a 2009 Roadking that had Rush slip ons. Only opinion, but I found them annoying because it was a constant drone at highway speed and especially downhill with dragging on the engine. So I bought OEM stock slip ons that I found. These are really quiet and certainly not bothersome but they lack something.

I have a 2006 Softail with SE slip ons and it has more popping when I accelerate or decelerate. I liked that sound especially when riding through deer country as then typically turned and ran if I would just downshift.

So, will SE slip ons give me more of that sound? I also found a set of SE slip ons from a CVO model for sale but not sure what sound they will have or if I need to re-map or get a tuner for those.

Thoughts anybody?

Old 03-28-2017, 07:15 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I went with "Jones Full Boar" slashdowns on my Stage 2 build. Affordable, made in Tennessee, and 3 baffle sizes to pick from. I went with the 2.5". Not obnoxiously loud at low RPM, but will get your attention at WOT. There are literally dozens of choices. What are you trying to do? Just alter the sound? Or performance/sound?

The following users liked this post:
inhershey (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:31 PM
inhershey
Novice

[QUOTE=petejoe43;16080279]I went with "Jones Full Boar" slashdowns on my Stage 2 build. Affordable, made in Tennessee..."

I'm not looking for more volume, just a little more variation in tone. The stock mufflers sound pretty much the same all the time. I liked the pop of my Softail with SE slip ons.

Those were not loud but they had a much different sound during acceleration and especially if I'd downshift and let off the throttle. Lots of rumble and pop.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 PM
azgrumbles
Road Captain

Received 281 Likes on 140 Posts

The newer SE slipons have the lower rumble. Try to find some pre Rushmore SE slipons and you might find the sound you're looking for. My 07 SG had that sound. My 15 has the newer sound.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 PM
R.Canales
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a set of SE Night Sticks that I have not put up for sale yet. As such I dont have any pictures of them right now because I am at work. the Night Sticks are a tuneable slip on muffler that use disks to determine sound. Could be what your looking for. My cousin had them on his 13 SG and they sounded really nice like an HD should, but he wanted louder so he took them off. PM with your cell number and I can send you some pictures.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Canales
I have a set of SE Night Sticks that I have not put up for sale yet. As such I dont have any pictures of them right now because I am at work. the Night Sticks are a tuneable slip on muffler that use disks to determine sound. Could be what your looking for. My cousin had them on his 13 SG and they sounded really nice like an HD should, but he wanted louder so he took them off. PM with your cell number and I can send you some pictures.
Get back to work, while I have a drink reading here, ha ha

Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

If I am hearing you right you like a "popping" sound on deceleration? That is actually an undesirable effect of fuel burning outside the cylinder in the exhaust system. I tuned mine out when I was working up my tunes with TTS. It now purrs like a kitten as it decelerates.

Now if by "pop" you just mean a bark when you ask for it then there are several mufflers that do that. My jackpots from FuelMoto are exactly that. Others too.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:30 PM
R.Canales
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

HaHa. I have a job that affords me the opprotunity to sit here and read, shop, and talk smack on here. I'm blessed.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:40 PM
inhershey
Novice

I might not be describing it very well but I don't mean backfiring. Mine now on deceleration sounds almost as though I hit the kill switch. No rumble at all.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

I have run my fair share of mufflers on close to a dozen HD's sound is a pretty personal preference. I seem to keep going back to Rineharts....Currently running Rinehart 4" slim line duals on my 16 SGS and could not be happier.

Quick Reply: slip on mufflers