Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up 87 Tour Glide on Sat. What to bring?

Old 03-29-2017, 11:02 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by lwbdriver
I have been wondering if it is proper to ask....I paid $3,700 for the bike. How did I do?
I'd have paid that.

As to tire age, check the last group of numbers on the DOT - if it's 4 digits (it should be), the last two are the year. (The first two are the week).

Old 03-29-2017, 11:14 AM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Nice find! Like others have said, have someone follow you, stop every 20 or so to check things out. Bring a tool chest JIC. Are you heading North or South? Saturday looks to be rideable(?) weather for most of UT.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:01 PM
lwbdriver
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be riding north from about 100 miles south of Salt Lake to Bountiful. I'll bundle up! Should be in the mid 50's on the trip. My son will ride chase in his car for most of the trip.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:02 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

I'll be riding north from about 100 miles south of Salt Lake to Bountiful. I'll bundle up! Should be in the mid 50's on the trip. My son will ride chase in his car for most of the trip.
Sounds like a good day. Have a good ride brother!

Old 03-29-2017, 02:26 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

ride it home, do wheel bearing and seals when you get home, change the fuel line. My brother had a 92 and the fuel was coming apart internally clogging the filter. change the fluid and air filter and ride it!

The following users liked this post:
lwbdriver (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 02:55 PM
mabhd06
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice find. Enjoy the ride!!

Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 PM
lwbdriver
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the interest and advice. Can't wait to get it home and take a real close look. Hadn't thought of the bearings and seals. Good advice. I am sure if I do a search I can find a technique to determine the condition of the belt, right? My Sportster was a cinch to work on, but this might be a bit more complicated because of the fairings and extra electronics, etc. Sure looking forward to it.

By the way, the PO says that the cloth seat it has is original from the factory. Did HD really have a cloth seat as an option back then?I have never seen one before.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:34 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,368 Likes on 3,999 Posts

U-haul motorcycle trailers are like $15/day.......

With all the unknowns, I would trailer it home and give it a real good look over....

Don't want to find out about bad tires/wheel bearings/ etc, at 65 mph on the highway!

Great buy by the way.... enjoy!!

Old 03-29-2017, 03:40 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

One more thing to check - rebuild the carb. The float and seals can get old sitting in nasty gas and can crack and leak. I had an '81 that worked great for a good month, until I was at a bike night, and the float stuck open while I was inside... I came out to a giant pool of gasoline under my bike.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Thanks for the interest and advice. Can't wait to get it home and take a real close look. Hadn't thought of the bearings and seals. Good advice. I am sure if I do a search I can find a technique to determine the condition of the belt, right? My Sportster was a cinch to work on, but this might be a bit more complicated because of the fairings and extra electronics, etc. Sure looking forward to it.

By the way, the PO says that the cloth seat it has is original from the factory. Did HD really have a cloth seat as an option back then?I have never seen one before.
Get yourself the factory service manual, if you don't have one. That will give you something to read on sleepless nights, or help service it!

Don't recall ever coming across a cloth seat, so include that in the photos your post when you get back home. Have a good gentle trip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picking up 87 Tour Glide on Sat. What to bring?