Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt tension

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:45 AM
glsec507
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Belt tension

I have removed and reinstalled the rear wheel on my 06 RK. I marked the adjuster pieces (slim piece of metal on each side of the axle used to move the wheel forward and backward that I can't remember name of) with a sharpie so I could reinstall in the same position. Of course everything is greasy and my marks no longer exist. According to the service manual I should have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/4 to ?3/8? Inch of play in the belt under a ten pound pressure test with the wheel off the ground. (Whatever the correct range was I installed inside the range)

I adjusted the belt to those specs using a slim metal ruler and by guessing the pressure. Then I bought the harley tool that tells you what ten pounds is and I guess I'm a pretty decent guess.

Anyway, and despite following the service manual, I can't help but wonder if it's too tight. The belt didn't feel that tight prior to removal. And nearly every YouTube video describing this process has the belt being raised to just about halfway up the built in measuring marks on the bike. Mine only reaches between the start of the integrated marks and the halfway point under ten pounds of pressure.
I'll attach a pic.

Am I good to go?

sorry for the lack of specific and detailed info.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

defer to your manual- my manuals say wheel on ground!

the evo says with rider a certain amount of deflection...the twin cam another spec entirely.

some guys twist to 45º

I use my fingers- I know what 10# is- but I always check manual for specific method and deflection spec for each year/model bike

Old 03-29-2017, 05:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

As Mike suggests, refer and defer to your service manual. I use the factory belt guage, the only H-D tool I own and have done since 1990. Buy once and take away all guesswork! There are times when the internet gets in the way of doing a very simple thing.....

Old 03-29-2017, 05:07 AM
glsec507
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
As Mike suggests, refer and defer to your service manual. I use the factory belt guage, the only H-D tool I own and have done since 1990. Buy once and take away all guesswork! There are times when the internet gets in the way of doing a very simple thing.....
It sure is making me second guess it haha

Old 03-29-2017, 11:44 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I've done my 07 RK many times (currently at 48K miles, and rear tire lasts 5K for me) with bike on jack (per service manual, wheel off the ground), using the H-D tool.

Your photo and description look EXACTLY like the amount of deflection I see after I've pissed around with it to make it exactly right. Bike runs properly, feels right, belt still looks good.

I say you're just fine.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:04 PM
glsec507
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. I will trust my service manual.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Better a little loose than too tight. Remember, once the pulleys get hot they grow and make the belt tighter. Be sure to find the tightest spot and adjust that to the spec.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
I've done my 07 RK many times (currently at 48K miles, and rear tire lasts 5K for me) with bike on jack (per service manual, wheel off the ground), using the H-D tool.

Your photo and description look EXACTLY like the amount of deflection I see after I've pissed around with it to make it exactly right. Bike runs properly, feels right, belt still looks good.

I say you're just fine.
Wow, that's kind of crazy. So you change your rear tire at every oil change?

Old 03-29-2017, 01:52 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 261 Likes on 223 Posts

That's what mine looks like when I calibrate my hand on the bathroom scale.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:55 PM
glsec507
Tourer

Originally Posted by xcbullet
That's what mine looks like when I calibrate my hand on the bathroom scale.
Thats exactly how I tested myself to make sure I was getting accurate results. But it was awfully difficult trying to keep my hand on the base while moving the little counter weights back and forth

Quick Reply: Belt tension