Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First and probably last bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 AM
JHP
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

At 400lbs, perhaps you could start with an exercycle and work your way up to two wheels on pavement. You'll want to be in good shape to be able to handle a bike that will handle a guy your size.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:02 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
Given the facts you provided regarding your height and weight you may want to look at a Road king. No Bat Wing fairing and fairly low center of gravity make it one of the easier bikes to manage. A Heritage softail would be easier but if you go with the heritage you may want to have the shocks upgraded. A big caution with metric Cruisers is some of them are raked out more then Harleys and makes them harder to maneuver.
Don't let the jerks get you down.

Myself being 6'1" and 350# I can't speak for what you like. But I will also vouch that the Road King as a great bike for fitment of guys our size. It's such a great bike due to its flexibility. Great commuter bike, cruiser and awesome touring bike. It can do it all. And look great doing it.

I seem to be rare around here not wanting a radio. But if you end up wanting one, with a road king you can get a detachable fairing. Best of all worlds.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:06 AM
brian4.2
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Rent a bike for a day and take the 4 hour "Ride Like a Pro" class in your area, immediately. You will learn a lot and also wether you are suited to riding a big bike.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com

Old 03-29-2017, 10:16 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

...Post removed by Moderator...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-29-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Comment
Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Weldz
I'm about 6' 1" 400lbs ... I doubt I'll ever be able to justify the cost of upgrading if I buy a cheap used bike (harley or metric) so this will be my first and probably last bike.
Well, you can buy an older Honda Shadow 1100 for $2-3k in very good shape. Similar a Yamaha Star. Suzuki is less. Darn hard to find a Harley of any type at that price.

so, what really is your budget for a bike? And what kind of riding do you envision yourself doing? It makes a difference.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:47 AM
woodthumb2
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

agree with foxtrap here... start with 1100 or bigger metric.. sit on em and ride a bit before you decide.. need big seat for sure...10 year old shadows , boulevards, or v stars are out there for 2k.. my son got an 02 1100 vstar for 1ooo bucks...rough lookin as it was kept outside alot but ran beautifully... spent weeks and a few dollars to clean it up and has been lovin it for 2 years now...no problems..actually looks pretty good now... plenty of bike for first timer and big guy like you to start

Old 03-29-2017, 10:57 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

I would start by surfing the web and get an idea of what you like the looks of. I am preferable to the electra glide. stereo and batwing make for a very enjoyable experience. Your budget would help a lot in giving u more info such as year make and models that would fit that budget. I would start by getting a motorcycle permit so u can test out a few bike or as above mentioned find a riding class and try that to see how u like it. good luck with your search

Old 03-29-2017, 11:00 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Damn rough crowd. One says to exercise other basically called the op gay. Damn.

Batman

Old 03-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
...my own wife has her license and we have a bunch of bikes- one day out of the blue she told me that she just doesn;t enjoy- too much work.
so she rarely rides anymore, I don;t push her to... Mike
My wife is 5'-2", has never ridden a motorcycle except on the back of one and tells me one day out of the blue she wants me to teach her how ride my SG. I nipped in the bud. She never got the chance to stop "enjoy"ing riding anymore as said "not on that bike, we can get you a used smaller bike to learn". End of conversation. She still rides on the back but never another question about learning how to ride.

To the OP: Take your time and learn how to ride. Maybe a reliable lighter smaller bike to start with, as you don't want to damage your "keeper" learning how to ride. Good luck with your process.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:15 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Weldz
New member here, I'm sure this has asked quite a few times but I wanted to seek some advice. I'm about 6' 1" 400lbs I've ridden a few times but am by far a beginner. I have always wanted to own a Harley but I doubt I'll ever be able to justify the cost of upgrading if I buy a cheap used bike (harley or metric) so this will be my first and probably last bike. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
While you've given some information we could use more. Like what kind of and how much riding do you want to do? Are you going to commute, bar hop, go on long trips, etc? What s your budget, you said cheap, how cheap? What kind of features do you want the bike to have?
I disagree with the poster who said a Road King is too much bike for a beginner, I've know more than one beginner start on a RK and be fine just as I've known people to stray on a smaller metric with poor results. I think it's more about planning and preparation than the size of the bike. Go to any HD dealer or pretty much any motorcycle dealer and take a couple of safe riding classes and look into some of the courses for slow speed manuvering.

Quick Reply: First and probably last bike