Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First and probably last bike

Old 03-29-2017, 04:08 AM
Weldz
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First and probably last bike

New member here, I'm sure this has asked quite a few times but I wanted to seek some advice. I'm about 6' 1" 400lbs I've ridden a few times but am by far a beginner. I have always wanted to own a Harley but I doubt I'll ever be able to justify the cost of upgrading if I buy a cheap used bike (harley or metric) so this will be my first and probably last bike. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:21 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,652 Likes on 6,424 Posts

The people here or anywhere can suggest a bike for you until the cows come home but all for nothing. Just get your motorcycle endorsement and test ride bikes. A big guy like you would however most likely be most comfortable on a touring bike. Best of luck!!!

Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

yes probably go look around and see what appeals t you

as I told my own brother- motorcycling has a visual appeal and is a nice "idea" but not everyone takes to it or feels comfy.
there is a danger factor which can be an engaging concept as we are all tough guys...but if you don;t enjoy then why bother

my own wife has her license and we have a bunch of bikes- one day out of the blue she told me that she just doesn;t enjoy- too much work.
so she rarely rides anymore, I don;t push her to.

Welcome to the Forums

Mike

The following users liked this post:
whocares (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF and the world of Harleys! Visit your local Harley dealer(s) and take a walk around. Even if you can't afford a new one just spend time looking and talking, to observe the various differences between models. It's a bit like therapy - if you do it a few times you'll get to better understand what's going on and start to see a way ahead.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:25 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

my own wife has her license and we have a bunch of bikes- one day out of the blue she told me that she just doesn;t enjoy- too much work.
so she rarely rides anymore, I don;t push her to.
Happened to me the same way. She thought it would be fun and it was for a while. Gravel in intersections and corners, cagers on phones furry and feathered things, what gear you're in etc... . She just said she enjoyed being on the back and not having to think about every little thing and so it ended.

That being said buying a used bike at a price point that you can re-sell it and not loose too much is what I would do. It is also why a lot of guys start on used metrics for a bit before making the huge investment (lol) in a harley.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:56 AM
6530mask
Elite HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 345 Posts

First bike? A big twin is likely what you'd feel more comfortable with. Be advised that these bikes require a degree of skill when maneuvering at slow speed.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:51 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts

Heres the dilemma.. My .02 would say get a touring bike, an RK comes to mind. BUT IMHO its too much bike for a newbie.. Let us know how you make out and good luck with your search

Old 03-29-2017, 07:52 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Personally id buy a cheaper metric bike first. Get your feet wet on it and make sure riding is for you. If so then sell it for about what you paid for it and then go get the harley of choice and price range. I say this cause we all go down its not if its when. Metrics are cheaper to fix. Like your kids first started to drive. You dont put them in a brand new corvette you get them a 500 bang it around vehicle first. Once they get used to it then upgrade to something better.

Batman

Old 03-29-2017, 08:04 AM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Go for a cheaper Japanese cruiser. Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki all make nice ones big enough to haul you around. I wouldn't go under 1000cc's though.

A lot cheaper to spend a couple of grand now on the chance that it ain't for you than spend upwards of 10,000 or more just to have a Harley.

Other alternative would be a used Sportster 1200. I've noticed the prices on those have been coming down lately. Be sure it's a factory 1200 though and not a "modded" 883. Lots of folks trying to pass those off with no documentation.

The following users liked this post:
LoneWoolf (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Weldz
New member here, I'm sure this has asked quite a few times but I wanted to seek some advice. I'm about 6' 1" 400lbs I've ridden a few times but am by far a beginner. I have always wanted to own a Harley but I doubt I'll ever be able to justify the cost of upgrading if I buy a cheap used bike (harley or metric) so this will be my first and probably last bike. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Given the facts you provided regarding your height and weight you may want to look at a Road king. No Bat Wing fairing and fairly low center of gravity make it one of the easier bikes to manage. A Heritage softail would be easier but if you go with the heritage you may want to have the shocks upgraded. A big caution with metric Cruisers is some of them are raked out more then Harleys and makes them harder to maneuver.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First and probably last bike