Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I just overheat my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I just overheat my bike?

I got stuck in traffic for a while when my Engine Check Lamp came on. I knew the bike was getting hot and the traffic was thinning out. Just then the lamp came on. Just then I was able to get upto speed and the lamp turned off roughly 3 minutes later.

Does the Engine Check Lamp reflect overheating? I'll check any error codes tomorrow with my TMax software.

Also I didn't hear any knock or notice any rough running. As a precaution, I'm going to change the fluids anyway since I already have 1500 miles on them.

So, did I overheat the engine? Did I do any damage?

Old 06-10-2007, 12:31 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Did I just overheat my bike?

I had the exact same problem last night as I hit a wall of freeway contruction traffic and heated it while trying to get through it. My light came on, I killed it for 5 minutes, then got the hell out of there. I was wondering the same thing and posted info but no feedback from anyone else. I am wondering what temp the Thundermax Module is set to flash the check engine light at cause I have the T-Max as well. I am guessing 300 degree head temps?

Anyone know for sure?

Old 06-10-2007, 01:44 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I just went out and read the diagnostics from last night. Didn't see any error codes but did see some high head temps in the logs. It showed hitting 344 degree's twice. One must have been last night, and it might have gotten that hot once last week as I did get into another snarl last week but didn't notice any lights being on. That was daytime so that might expalin, but that's hot in either case. I think oil tempis somewhere near 75 degree'slower than actualhead temp.

Gotta love this technology. Now just to figure out how to avoid traffic snarls around here.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yikes! Yeah those are some high temps for sure. The bike seems to run OK though now huh? What type of oil are you running? IMHO that's where the advantage of running synthetic oil comes into play - the most extreme conditions like that. Where conventional oil may fail, the synthetics take it in stride...

Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 AM
bikergeoff
Road Master

I see you guys are riding baggers with fairings. Dump the useless air temp gauge and install an oil temp gauge. Its the best mod I've done on my 01 Ultra. I can monitor the oil temp and before it gets too hot I can pull over and shut 'er down to cool off. It's unlikely that you did any damage, but changing the fluids is definately a good idea.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Z_Stingray
Tourer

Didn't see any error codes but did see some high head temps in the logs.
How are you able to download the logs off of the TMax? I would like to see just how hot my bike got.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:11 AM
barneyz71
Advanced

ORIGINAL: bikergeoff

I see you guys are riding baggers with fairings. Dump the useless air temp gauge and install an oil temp gauge. Its the best mod I've done on my 01 Ultra. I can monitor the oil temp and before it gets too hot I can pull over and shut 'er down to cool off. It's unlikely that you did any damage, but changing the fluids is definately a good idea.
Do you have part #'s for an oil temp gauge that fits in place of the air temp gauge?
Thanks

Old 06-10-2007, 08:32 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

300 degress is not that hot for your Engine/Head temp. I have a lazer temp light that I use all the time. I used it for tunning my Carbureted Road King while I was adjusting the ignition. Your rear cylinder will run hotter then the front. My rear cylinder runs about 30-40 degrees hotter then the front. Front head is always running around 300-310 and the rear is always about 30-40 degrees hotter. I've checked alot of other Bike while out riding and they are all in the same range. Some alittle higher and some alittle lower. I wouldn't worry aout it at all. You will be fine.........

Old 06-10-2007, 09:21 AM
onephsyco1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I get stuck in traffic . When possible , I shut the engine off !

Jack

Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I shut mine off too. Car behind me gets a little antsy while I wait for the fuel injection when starting back up but it beats fried thighs and the possibility of over heating the bike.

Quick Reply: Did I just overheat my bike?