Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rented a Road Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 AM
RainMaker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rented a Road Glide...

I was very surprised that there was so much of a difference between my UC and the RG. It is a completely different experience.

RG for me...

* Man that thing looks awesome..really lets you profile nicely on it.
* The bikes feel totally different as far as weight/balance. The RG is so much lighter feeling and very centered.
* I seem to sit lower into the bike, as well my wife's height on the back was almost even (she is noticably higher on the UC).
* The ride was smooth and she jumped to 100 quick and was straight as an arrow. I mean zero turbulance on the front end.
* The cluster layout was nice at night. They are white faced with chrome rings (like the SG) and really looks nice. (One would think the UC would have come stock with them.. but nooo...)
* Easier to turn
* Man, handles curves like a sports car, can really hammer thru them on it, not so much on the UC

Dislikes:
* A lot more air on both driver and rider. I felt as if there wasnt a windshield.
* Fixed Fairing, the dash and instruments were so far away. It felt more like a road king....with a fixed fairing :P
* Headlights on a fixed fairing are weird at night. You dont "turn" your light thru the curves, it felt more like a car... didnt like how it left a blind spot feeling to it.
* Windshield height for me was horrible. It breaks right in my line of sight
* No lowers, hit some rain and was soaked
* Not enough storage!!..lol, yes, the tour pac has spoiled me..(Wife missed the UC passenger comforts right off the bat)

Overall, its not for me. After owning the UC, there can be no other. It is by far the best ride I have driven to date... minus a few issues of course.. :P

I've rented or owned now, the SG, RG, UC, and Softtail custom. UC ftw!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rented a Road Glide...

Well there's your problem, you didn't ride the Road Glide "Ultra" Just messing with you.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 AM
RainMaker
Cruiser

Yea, that would be a much hard decision at that point.

Very nice ride btw! That looks like the best of both worlds...

Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RainMaker
Very nice ride btw! That looks like the best of both worlds...
Thanks RainMaker, It has all the Ultra comforts and bling of a Ultra Classicwith the Road Glide attitude. I just want to thank theprevious ownerwho spent all the $$$ so i didn't have to. I'm going to ride the Ultra Classic soon, dying to know what it's like and how much different it is than my Road Glide. Probably won't be a fair comparrison since my ride is so old. I'm sure the 07's are light years ahead of my 99.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 AM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife prefers her lower seat position of our RG vs the EGC. We also have the 'Box' and 'Lowers'. And with all the rain we hit on our last trip I was wishing I'd listened to her and taken the RG so I'd have had the protection of the lowers. I've also learned that it's really easy to "Custom Heighth" a windshield and have done 3 of them with great results. By the way, the headlight doesn't track only when I'm parking it.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM
nightglide
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the issues you had with it are FIXABLE!!!! the pros you were right on. I rode my brothers RK the other day and it was just no fun. had no windshield, so to much wind. felt REAL TO HEAVY. then I hopped back on the RG and DAMN it was like a feather under me, real light feeling and can handles so much better in turns and all around ride.

SG have a nice look with the bat wings but it puts the faring right up to close to you and not real roomy feeling. But each their own. keep the SG that makes you happy, we have enough others liking the RG and will soon start driving the price up on them befor I buy a newer one

Old 06-14-2007, 10:13 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the review. I'm going to rent a RG for a day or two this summer just to see how they ride. But I think in a few years my next bike will be an Ultra. Rentedone for a week in March and my wife and I loved it.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than the CB and intercom mine has pretty much everything that an UC has. It's pretty dang hard to beat with the tour pack and the lowers. I was looking at adding those anyway, if I bought a new one.

I just ordered a Clearview windshield with the recurve and that should take care of the wind. This thing is pretty much like sitting in my LazyBoy at home, It has lots of room and it is comfortable enough to sit there all day long.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
dank11
Intermediate

Hey!
I tried to Rent A road Glide when I went to Fla a couple Years Ago
NO one had a RG to Rent [sm=smiley19.gif]
Sounds like I missed out !

Old 06-14-2007, 12:41 PM
spizzyman
Road Master

You guys are not helping my decision at all. I love em both. Maybe I should buy em both. HEHE

Spiz

Quick Reply: Rented a Road Glide...