Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line-X, Rhino & other oddities

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Timba
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Line-X, Rhino & other oddities

I'vebeen googlingthis idea for about a month. I've yet to run accross an example of someone Line-X'ing or Rhino'ing the painted components of thier bike. Perhaps this is SUCH an oddity that I'll never find an example. It's not to say that I wish to be the first either. However, the thought does strike me as interesting. How 'bout it? Any thoughts?

My take is that it would certainly be origonal. Yet, the drawback is that it would be there to stay! There are no second chances or do-overs. Resell value, or lack thereof,could be the biggest drawback. However, I can't get that special "Mad Max" appeal one might get from it out of my mind.

Hmmmmm.....

Timba

Old 06-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Line-X, Rhino & other oddities

I've heard tell of a guy that did his sporty tank in rino line. It sounded like it was a moon rock!

Sure won't have to worry about chipping the paint or wax ever again. Or wondering if someone is going to bump it with a shopping cart.

Actually if paint had all the properties as Rino or Line-x but was smooth that would really be the ****.

I get 20% for the source idea if any of you rocket scientists make the formula.

(I usually don't even like to think of any good ideas due to so many thought suckers around all the time)

Now I know I'll be loosing money on this one for postin it!

Old 06-24-2007, 12:05 AM
WingHigh
Advanced

I think a member here on the forum had the inside of his saggle bags donewith Line-X.It was the older saddle bags that were prone to cracking.He won't have to worry about that any more.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:20 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Only bike parts I have ever seen Rhino Lined, are the bikes that our local Motor Cops ride. They had the tour pack lids done ( on the out side), so they don't scratch em all up with their ticket books, clipboards, etc

Old 06-24-2007, 12:58 AM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...on other site several people have done their builds with Line-X instead of paint. They make a smooth kinda shiny Line-X..would definitely be durable. I saw a bike with tins done in regular Line-X..kinda rough, industrial looking.
Later

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM
84FLHX
Stage III

I am a full time lurker here and this time I actually have something to add to a thread. I built this bike last winter using a 97 Buell S3 as the donor of the major components and a Redneck Engineering frame. I had all of the sheetmetal sprayed with Rhino Liner by my local dealer. He thought I was insane but I told him to do it anyway.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31400/12298DADA2A14DADABB441128AA707FD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Timba
4th Gear

I'm still interested and still looking into this. I've confronted several dealers of this type of product with limited experience (as expected). I'm met with a great deal of confused negativity about this idea thus far. But, like anything good about the concept, I've not found evidence to prove either side.

Still debating,

Timba

Old 07-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

It's common to paint the rocker panels on pickups with the stuff, usually color-matched to the rest of the car so it doesn't stand out so much. Functional, but not very attractive. Like laxative...

Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

went on a poker run last year and the guy parked next to me on a bobber had his whole bike done in some type of bed liner. and i mean the whole bike, handlebars and all. the exhaust was wrapped in the old school black wrap. strangely enough it looked ok. would not want it as a everyday rider, but definately different.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 PM
mmollo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about a bike with that stuff on it. I ran into a guy at the Cabela's parking lot last weekend. His whole truck was shot with Line-X, he said he hasn't washed it in 3 years.
I have Line-X in the bed of my truck, they sprayed a Harley bar and shield logo in the back of the bed. I looks good, they made me show my HOG membership before they would spray it in.

Quick Reply: Line-X, Rhino & other oddities