Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields, deflectors, and other goodies.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Rattle Can
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshields, deflectors, and other goodies.

I rode my 07 E Glide Standard in stock form, except for the Stage 1 and mustache engine guard, for the first 2500 miles. When I got back from the two week road trip, I decided it was time to do something about the windshield. Personally, I don't care to look through a windshield anyway, and the stock unit was all wrong for me. When I was in a good twisty section I would have to constantly pull my head in further to the inside of the biketo avoid the distortion caused by the curve of the windshield. It sucked in town because the top of it was at just the right height to distort my view of traffic lights. Sure, it broke the wind, but I know lots of things that break wind.

So, these are the changes I have made. For referrence, I am 5'10" and proportioned normally (?). Except for my....well, you know. And it's HUGE!....which makes it tough to buy shoes. Imagine what it's like having two different sized feet!

I ordered a 6" smoked windshield from Fast Aire Performance and slapped that baby on the bike. The Fast Aire is a very high quality piece and it went on smooth as butter. Fast Aire is also on my newly formed list of "Great Businesses To Do Business With". Luckily I live near a highway so I can speed test parts within 3 minutes of the house. I actually ended up riding the bike 6 or 7 times that evening. Fast Aire, stock windshield, no windshield, half helmet, full face helmet, etc. I knew I was headed in the right direction, but the buffeting was a little more than I was going to be happy with. I thought about ordering the 4" Fast Aire, but I wanted to try a couple of other things first.

Next came the HDfairing air deflectors and front fork air baffle. Then another highway speed test session. Aahhhh, now we're talking. Those two items made a big difference in cutting the turbulence.

"Johnny, tell us about the next item". I bought a stock seat for a Road Glide to replace the couch cushion. It made the bike even better. I sit back about an inch (judging by the position of my mustache guard mounted foot pegs) and, I think, just a bit lower. The turbulence level is now very acceptable, my mug sits in fresh air, and if push came to shove, I could get behind the shield if I needed to.

Another item that I ordered, just for comfort, are the 3/4" floorboard spacers from Hundred-Dolla-Cycle-Parts. If you ain't ordered these yet, do it today, lol! You wouldn't think that 3/4 of an inch would really be any big deal, but these are awesome. I don't worry about rubbing the paint on the tank, I didn't give up any noticeble cornering clearance, and the bike is just plain ol' more comfortable. The parts were great quality items and the installation time doesn't even take a whole beer! This company is also on the "Great Businesses To Do Business With" list.

Anyway, I have about 1200 miles on this set up and am very happy with it. Your happiness may vary asall inseams, arm lengths, neck lengths, and mellon diameters are relevant to their owners.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
joenuclear
Advanced
Default RE: Windshields, deflectors, and other goodies.

Do you have a link for "Hundred-Dolla-Cycle-Parts?"

Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 AM
tpseabird
Advanced

ORIGINAL: joenuclear

Do you have a link for "Hundred-Dolla-Cycle-Parts?"
I order some these (haven't installed), but the partslook to be quality and shipping was perfect.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1396718/tm.htm

Old 08-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Floor board extensions are wonderful. Place the order and you'll see them in a couple of days. Easy installation.