Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need an inch pound torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:31 PM
yoopermjm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need an inch pound torque wrench?

Well, I bought an inch pound torque wrench to change the oil in the primary. I've already done the other two holes. The problem is that my new wrench doesn't go as low as 60 or 108 inch pounds, the recommended torque for the primary chain cover and the derby cover. Do I really need one or can I just snug it up easily? I took the torque wrench back and now I can't find one in this town that goes that low.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts
Default RE: Do I need an inch pound torque wrench?

1 foot pound equals 12 inch pounds.

60 inch pounds would be 5 foot pounds... in my world that isn't even worthy of the torque value of "grunt" .

use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and snug it down. that's as close as you are going to get.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:53 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your not an every day mechanic and not sure how much force to apply I would find the proper torque wrench so you dont cause major problems (break a bolt or strip a thread). Most times I do not use a torque because I've been turning wrenches all my life and know how tight a nut or bolt should be tightend. The amount of torque applied depends on the size of nut or bolt and thetype of metal your working with, aluminum, steal, etc.Try ebay if you cant find one local.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:57 PM
beemer737
Tourer

I have one, use it to snug the first down to get the feel, then rest by hand, like he said, 1/4 inch drive. I have to laugh at HD for their torque values being different for same size hex heads, example, clutch cover is 60-120 inch lbs. I don't think they are that accurate when you get to grip cover being 8-12 inch lbs, thats like, screwdriver snug.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:59 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

If you are going to do your own maintenance and mods there will come times when you will need or should use both an inch pound and a foot pound torque wrench. So if you don't buy them now you can buy them later. The first time you break a small screw off in a blind hole under your particular shade tree the wrenchwouldhave paid for itself.

FBL

Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 PM
yoopermjm
Tourer

Ahhh cripes. I just ordered one. Guess I'll wait for it. There's another 50 bucks out the door!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:35 PM
chunkymain
6th Gear

I will get a bunch of crap over this posting but oh well!!!! I believe in the proper torque for every fastener on everything I own. One has to understand the fact that bolts are designed by engineers to perform a specificed function for a specific application. I believe just hand tightening a bolt will lead to leaks, striped threads, and failure. Anything that does not is just luck!!! During the 1960's the U.S. Air Force conducted a study in order to determine the effect that improper torque practices had on peace time military air crashes. The results of this study were shocking. The data showed that at least one aircraft of every type used by the airforce had experienced a crash due to improperly applied torque applied to a critical fastener. This study helped redefine the importance of torquing specifications and the importance of torque wrench use, maintenance and calibrations. In another industry, an Indy race car driver in one year experienced several half million dollar engine failures. Some of these failures were determined to be caused by the improper torquing of fasteners. So you can either buy the proper torque wrench or.......?

Old 06-30-2007, 06:39 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sears, i have all three inch pounds, the smaller 3/8" foot pounds and the 1/2" ft pounds that goes to 150

Old 06-30-2007, 07:30 PM
F1J1
Tourer

My avatar = improper torque, exit of turn one, Indianapolis.

Semper Fi, Mac

Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

ALWAYS RETURN THE WRENCH TO IT'S LOWEST INDICATED SETTING WHEN YOU ARE DONE.

When I was in the Air Force I had to calibrate them! It's amazing how fast they can go bad if you don't do this!

Quick Reply: Do I need an inch pound torque wrench?